Anyone interested in a SDC mic kit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigugly

I've got a few prototype PCBs coming for a back electret mic that uses the Scheops circuit. Once I get it tested I might make kits available in the White Market. They would include everything needed except the body. Purchaser would have the choice of 14mm or 16mm capsule. So, is anyone interested?

Can you tell us a bit more about the capsules?  More interested in those than the circuit (which could be done on perfboard). 

The hardest part about a DIY SDC mic is the capsule and body, that said, I'd be more interested in a good capsule and body. A nice circuit would be a bonus, but it would be even cooler if the PCB could be built different ways, but like I said, the PCB is the least important, mics have very few parts (if you can fit a trafo in there even better :) )

mitsos said:
Can you tell us a bit more about the capsules?  More interested in those than the circuit (which could be done on perfboard). 

The hardest part about a DIY SDC mic is the capsule and body, that said, I'd be more interested in a good capsule and body. A nice circuit would be a bonus, but it would be even cooler if the PCB could be built different ways, but like I said, the PCB is the least important, mics have very few parts (if you can fit a trafo in there even better :) )

The capsules are from Transsound. The TSB-1460A and the TSB-160A. (14mm and 16mm respectively)
http://www.jlielectronics.com/transsound/electrets/tsb-1460a.htm
http://www.jlielectronics.com/transsound/electrets/tsb-160a.htm

The circuit is not the "Alice" mic or Dorsey mod. It is the full Scheops circuit minus the DC-DC converter. Although I am working on that. I designed the PCB to be as compact as possible because this was originally a retrofit for a very cheap and small electret mic I had.

I am doing some research on getting bodies and capsule mounts but I have just started my inquiries.

Attachments

• srt ec1.GIF
    srt ec1.GIF
    15.1 KB
hmm, I have a transound capsule somewhere in a stash of alice parts I picked up from someone here.. still haven't built it  ::)  I have heard an alice "in person" and thought it was nice.  If you found a way to do a body I think it'd be very cool, personally I would be up for a group buy of chinese mics/bodies if that's what it took, they'll sell the bodies and stuff as spare parts for dirt cheap in quantity. Anyway, that's where I'm at I guess, sorry if I'm taking you on a tangent!

I'm talking to a wholesaler that might be able to get me bodies machined in small quantities at a reasonable price. I sent him a sample body to duplicate with some slight modifications. I should have an update in the next 10 days or so.

Aren't the chinese standard sdc the schöps circuit anyway ? I'm not sure this makes sense, maybe better idea b uilding adapter to mount gefell capsules on chinese bodies.

nicholas

mitsos said:
hey man,

any news on the bodies?

this is the donor body that I originally designed the circuit for:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAD-CM217-Condenser-Mic---Buy-One--Get-One-FREE----271324-i1399092.gc

this is what I'm going with. I haven't had a lot of interest in this but I should have a couple of pcbs left if you want. pm me for details

I could go for two if it helps the cause
someone around here reworked the chinese sd capsules and
suppose to sound much better , but he was busy and it wasn't cheap
[ labour intensive I'm sure  , 125 ish ? ]

Hey are you still selling the circuits ?

bigugly said:
I've got a few prototype PCBs coming for a back electret mic that uses the Scheops circuit. Once I get it tested I might make kits available in the White Market. They would include everything needed except the body. Purchaser would have the choice of 14mm or 16mm capsule. So, is anyone interested?

Back