Feeler: Group buy of 3U SDC capsules all 3 patterns (mxl 603 body)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klem

Guosheng of 3U has offered a generous discount for bulk purchases of his recent to market SDC capsules. With his permission, I'd like to organize a group buy to help avail these discounts to both myself and other members here.

This group buy would be solely for the 3mm series of SDC capsules (compatible with the MXL 603 body, probably others as well, but please verify any other specific bodies with Guosheng). The prices breaks are at 10, 20, & 30 pieces. Please note that the price breaks are specific to each capsule pattern. I.e., ordering 30 cardioids won't change the price of the omni or hypercardioid. The capsules can be purchased as matched pairs for no extra charge (matched by Guosheng).

The discount conferred by the number of any one specific pattern of the 3mm SDC series:
quantity price in USD % discount
1 - 9 $129 0%
10 - 19 $75 42%
20 - 29 $60 53%
30 - 39 $45 65%

These prices don't include shipping from 3U to me (in US), subsequent shipping to you, any international fees etc.

If interested, just post below with how many of each type of capsule you are interested in. Hopefully we can get to 30 of each, which would be 1/3 of the list price. My order alone gets us over half-way to the first discount tier:

me:
cardioid: 6
hypercardioid: 7
omni: 6

Wow, those are some very deep discounts! Super cool.

It's worth noting, since many people around here may have the project lying around and there has been general interest in alternate capsules for it, that the 3mm SDC capsules do not fit the KM84 project from user Banzai, which requires the 0.5mm capsule instead.

So far:
cardioid hc omni
klem 6 7 6
craigmorris74 2
doqmemory 6
SparkleBear 4 4 4
bugfight 2 2 2
kramerb1 4 2 2
Buttercup1 2
Flatpicker 2
wjohn 2
30 15 14

Looks like we just hit 30 of cardioid, if doqmemory is in for 6 not 4. So we have maximum discount for cardioid already. Congrats! I would very much like to accomplish the same with the other 2 patterns, so hopefully those two will continue to attract buyers over the next week. I mean, for snare, who wants that extra bleed from hi-hats? you want hypercardioid. you NEED hypercardioid. 😁 and omnis - floor mics for drums anyone? or classical ensembles getting in closer with no proximity effect?!

I expected cardioid would get the most, I think I'll cap this pattern at 40 or definitely no more than 50 while we see who else might be interested in the other patterns, I don't want this GB to get too big, both financially or abusing what Guosheng may have been anticipating. Once we get the numbers, i'll follow up with y'all on next steps. Great to see the interest!

As for a European group buy, no one is stopping you from doing so ostrol. Just contact Guosheng and see what can be done. Frankly, I don't really want to deal with shipping these internationally from the US and any potential headaches with customs etc., but I didn't want to be a jerk and make it exclusive to USA members only.

@ccaudle re: donor bodies, i've no idea where to get bodies only. not really within the scope of what i'm trying to do here. I've built toob, km84 clone, and tx-less pairs all in MXL 603 bodies. while i'd prefer ones without mxl branding, it's not like buying used ones will break the bank. is pretty hard to beat for the used market if you are going to replace PCB and capsule. every so often a new pair of them in a case w/ shockmounts comes up for $130 shipped. IIRC, there are a number of companies all slapping their logo on the same body, but i'm no authority on the matter. hence reiterating from my original post: "the 3mm series of SDC capsules (compatible with the MXL 603 body, probably others as well, but please verify any other specific bodies with Guosheng)."

Glad this has been so well received thus far!

Too bad this isn't for the ones that fit the bansai km84. I'd buy those. As a matter of fact I think I will, even without a discount

Latest posts

Back