Audio Signal Generator Advise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm somewhere without my test kit or just need to prove a point, I use this handy website Online Tone Generator
It can generate all kinds of tones/sweeps/multi-tones and everybody has a computer hooked up to their console or monitors even if a DAW isn't booted up. It even works on a phone, so plug into a bump box and a channel on your console and away you go....

I was going to wait for your breakdown of the circuit opperation :unsure:
I didn't post that schematic today. I am very proud of the multiple trick circuits in there.
Come on JR! Its class time!!
at least try.... There is a lot of unconventional stuff in that one SKU.

JR

Last edited:
Sure enough ,the internet being what it is I was able to find this , straight from the horses mouth as the saying goes ,
https://www.micmixaudio.com/forum/p...sid=4ac14bd1caf73333d301e479a2a74dc5&start=60
How easy would it have been to get the AI to recompute JR's words and cheat passed the homework assignment with flying colours and make it look like I knew what I was talking about :giggle:

The idea of creating a new pcb to replace the inner workings of the older units is a nice way of flipping a situation that turned sour back to the good , rewarding the loyalty of your old customer base and simultaneously giving a two fingered salut to your old buddies who tried to pull the carpet out from under you .

Wayne seems keen on the idea ,

Sure enough ,the internet being what it is I was able to find this , straight from the horses mouth as the saying goes ,
https://www.micmixaudio.com/forum/p...sid=4ac14bd1caf73333d301e479a2a74dc5&start=60
How easy would it have been to get the AI to recompute JR's words and cheat passed the homework assignment with flying colours and make it look like I knew what I was talking about :giggle:
I do not enjoy repeating myself but I have discussed it before and before. Anyone who want to learn about obscure analog circuit design there are several pearls lurking in that schematic. I will answer specific questions but will not just lecture about it.
The idea of creating a new pcb to replace the inner workings of the older units is a nice way of flipping a situation that turned sour back to the good , rewarding the loyalty of your old customer base and simultaneously giving a two fingered salut to your old buddies who tried to pull the carpet out from under you .
I promised myself not make products that could be replaced by a smart phone ap. The TS-1 comes damn close. Drum tuners too...

Of course over the four decades since I designed the TS-1 I have thought about multiple improvements using modern technology, it still does not rise to a good use for my time.
Wayne seems keen on the idea ,
Go for it with my blessing.

IMO the TS-1 was a useful value back in the 1980s, today not as much.

JR

[edit- this reminds me I need to write up some breadcrumbs in case somebody else decides to try to do a new version of this. One obvious improvement would be to add a 2:1 compressor in series with the input. This could increase the input resolution range a few tens of dB. /edit]

Last edited:
John, I've just had my TS-1 on the bench for the last hour, and it is one impressive bit of kit! I was impressed with:
-Stability of both output voltage and frequency
-accuracy of the frequency counter
-absolute consistency of o/p level vs frequency...lowest to highest, the level never changed.
-build quality
And this from a unit that was new around 1984, sn/1253.

You could also use a half-decent USB audio interface and use a laptop as signal generator. Possibly not quite as convenient in the sense of just turn it on and go, but you may have the pieces already and just didn't consider using them for that purpose.
You might consider REW if you go the PC route. It's a pretty complete audio test rack integrated into one program.

You might consider REW if you go the PC route. It's a pretty complete audio test rack integrated into one program.
REW is just one part of the equation. You need an audio interface that's capable of delivering the signals. A built-in soundcard is definitely a poor answer; some outboard cards are a little better, but if you want to be able to deliver +20dBu into 600r, you're pretty much left on the shore. You must be prepared to shed a lotta dough or ypu must add separate amplifier.

Latest posts

Back