Audio Signal Generator Advise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't do that but the customer is always right. ;)

The TS-1 has tricks built into the sine wave output and dB meter input. For example the TS-1 has a 51 ohm resistor in series with the output so you can drive a load with the sine wave output and measure the dB drop vs frequency to impute reactance in the load.

If you convert the output to active balanced you need to carry both the + and- outputs over to the dB meter input. The 1/4" switching input jack cannot simply switch both input legs.

Perhaps you could add an additional XLR output jack independent of the hardwired 1/4" sine wave path. The TS-1 has +/- 15v rails and could probably drive an active balanced output but I won't guarantee the PS to hold up to driving 600 ohms to full level. I had to do tricks to get full rail voltages from the standard transformer as is.

This will void your warranty if you bought the TS-1 from me. :cool:

JR

Everything you say is true, but the OP mentioned that he really only wants it to test his equipment with a scope and stuff like that,
I wasn't ansering the OP; I was answering Ruud, whom I know to have a quite significant knowledge and expertise.
That's the problem with such threads that drift from the original intent. It often ends up shooting at a more distant target and losing the OP.
But it also offers the opportunity to look at things in more detail.
I won't apologize...

It is the nature of internet forum discussions for people to keep answering long after the original questions have been addressed.

The skill involed is learning how to separate the wheat from the chaff... IMO Abbey would be wheat.

JR

I wasn't ansering the OP; I was answering Ruud, whom I know to have a quite significant knowledge and expertise.
That's the problem with such threads that drift from the original intent. It often ends up shooting at a more distant target and losing the OP.
But it also offers the opportunity to look at things in more detail.
I won't apologize...
Apologize? for what?

It is the nature of internet forum discussions for people to keep answering long after the original questions have been addressed.

The skill involed is learning how to separate the wheat from the chaff... IMO Abbey would be wheat.

JR
Thanks for that, John.
Please don't overdo it, some members would complain about moderator's conspiracy. :D

Last edited:
I wouldn't do that but the customer is always right. ;)

The TS-1 has tricks built into the sine wave output and dB meter input. For example the TS-1 has a 51 ohm resistor in series with the output so you can drive a load with the sine wave output and measure the dB drop vs frequency to impute reactance in the load.

If you convert the output to active balanced you need to carry both the + and- outputs over to the dB meter input. The 1/4" switching input jack cannot simply switch both input legs.

Perhaps you could add an additional XLR output jack independent of the hardwired 1/4" sine wave path. The TS-1 has +/- 15v rails and could probably drive an active balanced output but I won't guarantee the PS to hold up to driving 600 ohms to full level. I had to do tricks to get full rail voltages from the standard transformer as is.

This will void your warranty if you bought the TS-1 from me. :cool:

JR

Thanks JR.
And I was hoping to sneak the unit in for warranty service any day/week/year/decade now.
Cheers
DK

Thanks JR.
And I was hoping to sneak the unit in for warranty service any day/week/year/decade now.
Cheers
DK
The only warranty claims I am entertaining these days are for Resotune drum tuners... I shut down that business over a year and a half ago. The tuners have a 3 year limited warranty. So far zero warranty claims, and I feel lucky (its a JR design).

JR

The only warranty claims I am entertaining these days are for Resotune drum tuners... I shut down that business over a year and a half ago. The tuners have a 3 year limited warranty. So far zero warranty claims, and I feel lucky (its a JR design).

JR
I'm very sorry to hear that you are no longer producing the Resotune tuners, may I ask why? any plans for new products in the present or future?

I'm very sorry to hear that you are no longer producing the Resotune tuners, may I ask why? any plans for new products in the present or future?
I had a plan for an improved next generation tuner (using dsp and rich LCD display). I even had a working dsp prototype platform proving out a much much faster resonance frequency reader. My sense is that the marketplace was not hungry for a more expensive tuner. The physics of how drums work means I was locked into the physical form factor package (two speakers).

Customers want something small and cheap, perhaps a smart phone app... I could make my box communicate with a smart phone to use its display, but no way to lose the two speakers.

I am old and tired... only about 1 1/2 years to go on my 3 year warranty but so far zero warranty claims. I feel lucky.

JR

[edit- this reminds me I probably need to write up a white paper explaining my next generation strategy in case some future drummer/coder decides to pick up my torch and run with it.../edit]

Last edited:
Thank you all for the interesting discussion, even if you feel like it is drifting off topic I am still learning something.

One of my concerns, or rather confusions is about possible ground loops with the signal generator and scope sharing ground. Even with an active unbalanced/balanced converter box that ground loop would still exist, right?

Is the only way around that to either isolate the input with a transformer, or use a separate function generator that is not grounded, i.e. floating?

My one small issue with the app mentioned above is that you need to set the frequencies and levels for each channel separately, there does not seem to be a way to lock them together when driving a balanced signal between left and right output.

Thanks, Bertu

@JohnRoberts I just discovered the TS-1 and realized there WAS A RACK UNITTTT!!!

1690822137495.png

Im in search of a rack unit singal gen/volt or dB meter combo to put in my patchbay. I do a ton of calibrating, and aligning tape machines and im sick of using a mulitmeter and signal gen from the computer. I have some template sessions that have the correct values saved for 0VU/+4dBm @ 1Khz etc etc but looking for an analog solution a solution that doesn't require the computer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1859396552...d8&cnvId=700003&recoId=185939655264&recoPos=1
Any ideas on how/where to find a rack unit TS-1? Or is there a modern version of the same thing out there somewhere??

Last edited:
@JohnRoberts I just discovered the TS-1 and realized there WAS A RACK UNITTTT!!!

View attachment 112491

Im in search of a rack unit singal gen/volt or dB meter combo to put in my patchbay. I do a ton of calibrating, and aligning tape machines and im sick of using a mulitmeter and signal gen from the computer. I have some template sessions that have the correct values saved for 0VU/+4dBm @ 1Khz etc etc but looking for an analog solution.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1859396552...d8&cnvId=700003&recoId=185939655264&recoPos=1
Any ideas on how/where to find a rack unit TS-1? Or is there a modern version of the same thing out there somewhere??

Sinewaves at audio frequencies only...

A modern audio interface has no problem creating low distortion sinewaves at audio frequencies.

A function generator is useful IMO for square waves at audio frequencies and (far) beyond, to check for oscillation, ringing, etc.

I found a problem in my console last week this way. It has active low pass filters in the signal path, but they put in the wrong cap sizes and created resonances slightly above the audio band. Very obvious with a square wave generator and a scope.

That Goldline variant was after my time.

After I resigned from president of Phoenix Audio Laboratory, my former partners drove the business into the ground. I had lined up some venture capital to finance our growth. This would have required some dilution as the venture capital group expected some equity in return for their working capital contribution. It's really difficult to fund growth on a thin manufacturing profit margin. My partners disagreed with my business strategy so I voted with my feet and walked.

When I sold my partners back my 25% of the company they had no money so paid me off with TS-1s that I proceeded to sell for full retail so I wouldn't corrupt their dealer distribution. They were smiling like the proverbial cheshire cat now owning 1/3 of the company each. Over time they learned that 1/3 of nothing is nothing. :cool:

I have no idea about anything Goldline did or does, and don't much care. I think one of my partners sold/licensed the TS-1 technology to Marty at Goldline in some kind of desperate deal to generate income.

JR

That Goldline variant was after my time.

After I resigned from president of Phoenix Audio Laboratory, my former partners drove the business into the ground. I had lined up some venture capital to finance our growth. This would have required some dilution as the venture capital group expected some equity in return for their working capital contribution. It's really difficult to fund growth on a thin manufacturing profit margin. My partners disagreed with my business strategy so I voted with my feet and walked.

When I sold my partners back my 25% of the company they had no money so paid me off with TS-1s that I proceeded to sell for full retail so I wouldn't corrupt their dealer distribution. They were smiling like the proverbial cheshire cat now owning 1/3 of the company each. Over time they learned that 1/3 of nothing is nothing. :cool:

I have no idea about anything Goldline did or does, and don't much care. I think one of my partners sold/licensed the TS-1 technology to Marty at Goldline in some kind of desperate deal to generate income.

JR

Seems like you made the right move as there are nearly zero of these out there that I can find...

I use a Fluke meter with readout in db ,
A dedicated Iphone with all user services dissabled is the gen , wired as balanced line output from the HP jack ,
with wav files as the sources in the media player ,
It works , its neat and tidy , the iphone lives in the case alongside the fluke
It'll happily play test tones all day long looped or in sequence ,as you choose .

I found a very cheap lightening to stereo TRS cable with built in dac in the usual high street discount stores , Dollar General or EuroGiant etc 3.99
puts outs around +6dbu max , added a 3.5 to 1/4 inch adapter ,your good to go .
Its all totally ground free ,battery opperated .

A properly wired banana plug to XLR adapter is needed for the multimeter , DMM probes stand to much chance of intercepting interference so I never use them for audio .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back