Auratone DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can not mix without auratones.

avantones are the only thing i found that is a
good substitute.

this is cool! nice work

i have heard a time or two that the original speakers
in auratones were Bose speakers, haven't looked tho

I found this on the farnell website that could be a replacement if you can't order from maplin:

http://be.farnell.com/pro-signal/55-1205/woofer-poly-paper-cone-8ohm-5-25/dp/4262438

seems to hanlde more power, maybe it's not crappy enough? And it has no shield....
Any other suggestions?

j.frad said:
I found this on the farnell website that could be a replacement if you can't order from maplin:

http://be.farnell.com/pro-signal/55-1205/woofer-poly-paper-cone-8ohm-5-25/dp/4262438

seems to hanlde more power, maybe it's not crappy enough? And it has no shield....
Any other suggestions?

Hi, I'm surprised to get another post on this.

This is a midrange/woofer with a top end of 6kHz which is too low for a full range monitor.  Also the elliptical shape would be harder to recess than a circle.  I'm sure there are other 5" drivers out there which would do the job though.
best
DaveP

Just to say thanks for the tip on the Maplins cone! I had made a little box just like it a few years ago with a different cone and it was so so, decided to swap to your recommended one and now I love the little bugger! For 8 quid. Nice!

karloff70 said:
Just to say thanks for the tip on the Maplins cone! I had made a little box just like it a few years ago with a different cone and it was so so, decided to swap to your recommended one and now I love the little bugger! For 8 quid. Nice!
Yeah man, you made a classic ;-)

Well, Well, who'd of thought that.

Thanks guys for the positive comments, I've got so much from this forum over the years that I'm pleased to have put a little something back.

best
DaveP

erikb1971 said:
YW!

Would still like to know your view on the amp I linked a bit earlier
Eric, you are asking the wrong guy!  All my gear is tube except a Sony Amp I use for the Monitors.

I guess you are talking about making these speakers self-powered?  If that's what you want then I can't see a problem but if it was me, I would just have 3 sets of different speakers and a simple switch to switch between them.

best
DaveP

Dave, I hope you will check this post one more time!
By the way it's my first post here so: Hi everybody!

I was wondering what thickness of chipboard did you choose and what did you put inside the cab?
I'd be really grateful for answers!
Best,
Tomek

Dave was kind enough to email me with the following info, hopefully it's ok with him that I share here?

"These dimensions will give you the same internal volume as the original Auratones.

External Front: 6  7/8" x 6  7/8"

External Depth: 5  7/8"

Inside, all the corners are glued and pinned with 3/4" square softwood/pine and the back is flush fitted onto a square of this section too.

Outside, all the panels stop short of the corners and 1/2" quadrant is used to make round corners.  All the panels are made of 1/2" chipboard or particle board.  I didn't bother mitreing the quadrant, I just filed and sanded one end round after the glue had set.

Construction: Holes are drilled through the quadrant for panel pins which are recessed and back filled. All the joints are also glued with PVA.  The back panel sits on a thin foam speaker sealing gasket to make it airtight.  There is also a small wad of bonded acetate fibre inside to soak up the sound from the back of the speaker.

I managed to get a speaker with a similar response to the original, see my posts in DIY, but the volume and shape of the box has a great deal of influence on the sound, only the top end is governed purely by the speaker.  The speakers are screwed from the front and sealed carefully with silicone mastic. (cover the cones with something tough when screwing near speakers)!!!

I primed it in white, rubbed it down gently then painted it in pale yellow emulsion paint, then gave it a coat of brown varnish for the antique effect.

I copied the logo off the internet and reduced it in size an printed it off on a colour laser printer and stuck it on with the varnish.

Thats about it, good luck! "

all the best
Dave

Bardiel and MicDaddy,

No I don't mind, I believe in free information!

You can spend a fortune on BAF (bonded acetate fibre) from a dealer or else you can by a cheap "value" duvet from Tescos and have a lifetimes supply.

I did not pack it solid but stapled it onto the inside panels without obstructing the movement of the cone.  This was how the original was done from the photos I saw on the web, where some guy has collected the whole series.

best

DaveP

Dave:
I was thinking - maybe you could take photos of your auratones?
Both internal and external, what do you think?

Bardiel,

Well there are pictures on the first page, the inside is nothing special, just a box with 18mm square pine in all the internal corners and some BAF on the walls.  All the measurements are elsewhere in the thread.

best

DaveP

My drivers finally arrived... so tomorrow I am going to work on mine! They will be a nice dark cherry red... and seriously considering calling them DaveTones :) 

Sounds cool Erik 8)

2 Tips from my woodwork teacher I've never forgotten....

Keep your wood as long as you can as long as you can.

measure twice, cut once.

good luck

Dave Tone

Hi all, Dave,

I am just starting the work on my Davetones, and I am studying on a lot of pictures of the originals. Two things strike me:

1. Most of the original Auratones do not have their edges rounded.
2. Most of the Auratones have the driver "sunk" in the front panel.

My personal opinion on this is: it will hardly matter, so I will just do as I like them (rounded edges and driver sunk in). But if any of you have a good reason for doing this differently, let me know!

Cheers
Erik

Attachments

• 221077015_889a7b87d9_b.jpg
    221077015_889a7b87d9_b.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 216
Hi Erik,

My driver is also sunk in, but maybe not so clear on the photo.

The Auratone had a speaker grill but mine does not, one reason for not having protuding sides.

Main reason is that rounded corners cut down on refraction of mid frequencies.

good luck

DaveP

Back