Auratone DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,
Just dropping a quick post to say thanks for the inspiration!

I've just finished knocking up a pair of DIY Auratones and I'm really happy with the result - they work perfectly and they've got the same vibe of Auratones I've used in the past - they'll be very useful in the studio.

I had a lot of fun making these & I'll have even more fun using them!

Cheers!

Attachments

• CG_Auratones1.jpg
    CG_Auratones1.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 407
Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.  They look great.

I had no idea this little project would be so popular.

all the best

DaveP

hey Dave can you tell me what i need to chооse from this visaton speakers :)

http://www.visaton.com/en/chassis_zubehoer/breitband/bg13p_8.html  --- 1
http://www.visaton.de/en/chassis_zubehoer/tiefmittelton/w130s_8.html --- 2
http://www.visaton.com/en/chassis_zubehoer/koax/dx13_4.html -- 3

I think the first one its gonna be the best in this situation.Anyone can help ? :)

Hmm... I think I found another two potential candidates here in the US:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-1595-/55-1595

Or if you need shielded:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-1855&green=11111900948&utm_campaign=MyBuys&utm_medium=Recommendation&utm_source=prod&utm_term=55-1855

It looks like the OP based the cabinet size on the original Auratone specs.  I am guessing with these, they may need a different volume.

It will probably be a while before I get to this project, but hopefully someone can use these.

natureloop said:
Rob Flinn said:
The thing is you don't use Auratones/clones because you want great fidelity, they are used to give you an idea of what it's going to sound like on some very ordinary, not particularly good speakers.  So "much needed frequency response" isn't a too big issue here.

I can understand that as well as getting rid of the crossover area of a 2way monitor!
I saw your Auraclones and they look fantastic! Which drivers did you use?

The original Auratone had a very steep/tight time domain response (~20ms).
Shouldnt that be accounted as well?
Or is it that with most drivers frequency transients across the 100-10000Hz, die out fast?

Cheers
Costas

I used the same drivers from Maplin that Dave suggested, cases out of MDF, just stuck some wadding that I had lying around inside.  I tried to just make them Average sounding without spending too much time on it.

erikb1971 said:
RME digiface - Marian Adcon - Mackie BIG Knob - Sure Electronics TA2024 2 * 15watt board - Davetones!

Thanks again Dave... here's to you!

Erik

Good job!
I wanted to ask you as to whether the TA2024 needs a potentiometer in order to adjust volume/amplification?

Thanks
Costas

Hi there again!

I thought I could use:
http://www.visaton.com/en/industrie/breitband/ws13e_8.html

However using WinISD and inputing a 2.3L volume, gives a 7dB rise in the area of 200Hz.
Would that be bad?

Id appreciate any feedback.
Costas

Attachments

• visaton sealed.JPG
    visaton sealed.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 71
Maybe I missed it in the text here before, but does anyone know who manufactured the 5" speaker unit in the original Auratone 5C sound cube ?

--Bo

natureloop said:
erikb1971 said:
RME digiface - Marian Adcon - Mackie BIG Knob - Sure Electronics TA2024 2 * 15watt board - Davetones!

Thanks again Dave... here's to you!

Erik

Good job!
I wanted to ask you as to whether the TA2024 needs a potentiometer in order to adjust volume/amplification?

Thanks
Costas

Not when you use it with a big knob or anything else as pre amp, otherwise, yes you do.

Hi, I just finished my clone of the Auratone speakers! I used the maplin woofers recommended by Dave and I must say they sound delightful! We had one original Auratone in the studio I used to work in a couple of years back and the clones sounds exactly how I remembered the original one to sound. They are absolutely great for setting the levels in the mix, especially vocals, kick and bass. I must say they are also very pleasant to listen to, acoustic records (ljazz, Tom Waits sort of stuff, orchestral) sound very transparent and clear.

Thanks Dave for sharing your project with us!

A couple of photographs below: the making and the finished speakers on top of my circle 5 monitors.

Attachments

• IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    692.3 KB · Views: 322
QUEEF BAG,

I think that Bose used a CTS 4.5" driver in the mid 1970's.

The cone look very similar, but Auratone has a cone surface that is slightly larger, and the mounting frame outer edge is circular.

Maybe it could be a variation on the same CTS full-range series ?

--Bo

Pav,

Thanks for the feedback on the sound and the pics.

I have never heard original Auratones, I was just working on theory, so its good to know you think they sound the same.

best
DaveP

Bo Hansen said:
I think that Bose used a CTS 4.5" driver in the mid 1970's.
Bose have only made one drive unit themselves.  It was the 1R version of the Bose 901-2.  Practically all their other units (including the 4.5" for the 901-1) were made by Tonegen who make excellent drive units for many people but are practically unknown outside of speaker makers.

But my info is more than a decade old so things might have changed ..

Ricardo,

Can this was the same Tonegen company that began collaborate with the Japanese Foster in the 1980's.

Could it be possible that it was also Tonegen that producing the 5 "driver for Auratone 5C ?

--Bo

Bo Hansen said:
Can this was the same Tonegen company that began collaborate with the Japanese Foster in the 1980's.

Could it be possible that it was also Tonegen that producing the 5 "driver for Auratone 5C ?
AFAIK, Tonegen were never associated with Foster.  We did business with both companies in the 80's.

It's quite possible that they made the driver for at least some versions of the Auratone.  Remember, some speakers go through many variations, often without a name/version change.  Especially if the Finance Dept. has more clout than R&D.

Tonegen were very respected for their quality, consistency and business ethics.

They never sold units to the public under their own name.  It was always to other speaker makers.

Back