Auratone DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your first sentence describes exactly what they were used for (and also AM car radios).
Yep. Decades ago I was Chief Engineer at a 24 track studio owned by an ad agency. In addition to the Horrortones, I added a (selectable) 3" speaker in the meter bridge, fed by a mono sum from the CR output.

In 2014 I was doing a studio build in Omaha....pretty high end facility. The "principals" were all age 20/30's. I noticed how they and their friends were listening to various stuff on their phones. I mentioned it to the Head Honcho and I suggested checking mixes on a phone. He thought it was a great idea <g>.

Bri

Today there are a lot of solutions, like Audiomovers, Authentic Audio, and other utilities (even ZOOM) that let you stream your DAW mix to anyone with the URL. I use it for real-time client input during mix revisions, but also to stream to my phone and/or laptop to hear on those devices and headphones connected to them. The modern version of a studio with an FM transmitter for car checks! In fact, I have one audio interface that I keep at home (got it during covid lockdown) that has a Bluetooth transmitter as one of its monitor outputs. The signal reached all the way to may car outside. I could mix in my living room and then run out to the car to hear the mix live over Bluetooth. I know BT is a lossy format, but it's still pretty amazing that it works at all! The interface, if anyone cares, is the MBOX Studio from Avid.

Back