Authentic LO1166 Neve output transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greetings from California. Just now stumbling on this thread. I'm midway in a custom build and have actually purchased a Carnhill VTB1148 thinking it was a built to spec duplicate of the Marinair. After reading through some thread posted by Geoff Tanner on another site I see this isn't the case. That being said I'm interested in the one you have built. Is this something you are producing to sell? If not is it a project that could be undertaken with some direction? Any info helpful. Thank You

Hi Paul,

I do have some of the parts and the winding info but can only wind by hand now, dont have use of the winding machines i had back in the old days im afraid.
I just wound another pair of 1166 for myself but dont plan on winding anymore for the time being, if things change i will let you know on here. I am planning on having a clear out so will see how many laminations and bobbins i have left and if i have the time i'll possible wind a pair or two!!!

regards

Spence.

Hi Spence,

thanks a million for your prompt reply.
Is the winding info something that you wish to keep private or would you be willing to share the information with an enthusiastic someone who would be willing to do whatever is necessary to wind his own ;)

Thanks again and all the best

Last edited:
Hello,

Yes a kinda of (step) guide or inside in your proces (back then?) would be very nice on these LO1166. If you are able to provide this I think you help a lot. +1 wells2p

when i get time i will detail the process, the only problem is sourcing the laminations and bobbins everything else is fairly straight forward.
winding machines are availble in hand wind or electric, do a search in google, ebay or amazon. For isolation between winds i tend to use masking tape, cheap enough. i do have a contact for UK to get laminations but dont know if he is still doing it? private msg me for contact details if needed.
for the top plates i used some thick fibre board, drilled holes for the 3mm posts which i got off ebay (bought a 100 pack) used a drill press to press them into the holes then turn the board over and expland the holes in the bottom so they are secure. The clip which holds the laminations and you secure the txf to chassis must have the two clips in the top for securing the fibre board to it, im sure there is another way but this way is the proper way to secure them.
winding spec is here within technical documents:

https://cdn.imagearchive.com/groupd...7c86710a035eed039c47b8f9713c4ac8520260542d293

Last edited:
Yes I received your msg, just to point out, my contact would only do orders of several kilo grams of laminations as a minimum order along with several hundred bobbins, he is used to suppling big transformer companies so it would be a big investment, along with big shipping costs as your USA I think, you may be better contacting a more local producer and using them.

Understood. I will look into stateside suppliers. When you have time to provide more information on lamination and Bobbin specifications as well as build steps then I will have enough information to get some estimates

As always thank you

Paul

After much digging through all of CJ's old posts I have all the info and parts sources needed to do this.. One question regarding the magnet wire however - Are 28AWG (0.0126") and .013" the same? (30 awg is exactly .01" so no worries there). thank You

Back