Authentic LO1166 Neve output transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1U version in this footprint is just not possible, it can be done with other bobbins and lams, but everything would be different!
Few more pictures of finished first batch!

Attachments

• 87EBA836-C939-4187-ABBB-73ADD01D6887.png
    87EBA836-C939-4187-ABBB-73ADD01D6887.png
    917.7 KB · Views: 128
Hey Spence, Those look great! Will those fit in a Neve  1073/1084 frames? I'm working on a rack of clones and stumbled across this thread . I've never been happy with the Carnhills as compared to the originals but in no way do I have the knowledge to be able to recreate the trannies. Would you consider making them for some of us DIY'ers?

yes i to will be looking for transformers for the 1084 frames that are coming  so it would be cool to see what you could do for those.

Vintage  LO1166 transformers fit into the single space 500 format just fine. I keep reading that they will not, but they do. Trimming the fiberboard a bit is all it takes. Doesn't need any kind of mod to anything other than that. Accurate repros probably should fit too, but it is said again and again a compromise is necessary on repros to make them fit. But if the real vintage LO1166s fit...

Attachments

• 79980D6F-839C-4ECC-909F-54B391AE3FC2.jpeg
    79980D6F-839C-4ECC-909F-54B391AE3FC2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
stockrock said:
Vintage  LO1166 transformers fit into the single space 500 format just fine. I keep reading that they will not, but they do. Trimming the fiberboard a bit is all it takes. Doesn't need any kind of mod to anything other than that. Accurate repros probably should fit too, but it is said again and again a compromise is necessary on repros to make them fit. But if the real vintage LO1166s fit...

Where did you get that TO-3 heatsink?  Looks great!
Best,
Bruno2000

Spencerleehorton said:
Second batch done now, only 7 left!
Just curious , what lams you did use.
I try some M6 and was not satisfied at all.
btw  very nice looking 1166

All the available versions use M6 lams, just different thicknesses and sizes, these are to original spec as supplied by CJ who reverse engineered a good few of the originals. Everything spec wise is right on the money and checks out.
I have Carnhills in one of my Neve's and it sounds ok, but these just blow them away, so much better.

Hi team, does anyone know if there's a difference between the LO 1166 and the LO 1166 /A...... I can see its been wired in parallel winding configuration both on the primary and secondary..... thanks

Hi team, does anyone know if there's a difference between the LO 1166 and the LO 1166 /A...... I can see its been wired in parallel winding configuration both on the primary and secondary..... thanks
Are these still in production?

WHAT's THE VERDICT on them?

:)

Cheers

Will look into a 1U version, don’t know if there is a thinner bobbin which could hold the lams, will report back.

greetings from California. Just now stumbling on this thread. I'm midway in a custom build and have actually purchased a Carnhill VTB1148 thinking it was a built to spec duplicate of the Marinair. After reading through some thread posted by Geoff Tanner on another site I see this isn't the case. That being said I'm interested in the one you have built. Is this something you are producing to sell? If not is it a project that could be undertaken with some direction? Any info helpful. Thank You

Latest posts

Back