Balanced I/O for Pico SE Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mokkinger said:
it kind of irritates me, that I run audio from a desk to lets say different comps & EQs, all balanced, then go into the pico unbalanced
It shouldn't; balanced connections have two purposes: cancelling common mode signals resulting from interference AND eliminating hum resulting from ground loops.
In a typical studio environment, implying smallish cable length, interference is seldom a nagging issue, but ground-loop-induced hum definitely is. Using balanced wiring (2 conductors+shield and 3-pin connectors) between a balanced output and an unbalanced input, or an unbalanced output and a balanced input is perfectly adequate at eliminating hum.

and from there again into a balanced tape machine... wont I loose gain by just discarding the ring signal?
Yes, but you don't want to do that, you need the full balanced wiring.

dogears said:
Here you go. It's a bit uglier (protection scheme has Vee and Vcc all over the place...) and I didn't really have time to give it an elegant routing, but it should work just fine.

hey man, thats really great! thanks a lot - I think I will give both options a try. tending towards the protected version, although the pico will be somewhere right before my M15A tape maschine... but you never know :)

the input headers are fine for me!

if anybody needs one of these PCBs, I probably wont ever need 10 Pcs...

Mark

abbey road d enfer said:
It shouldn't; balanced connections have two purposes: cancelling common mode signals resulting from interference AND eliminating hum resulting from ground loops.
In a typical studio environment, implying smallish cable length, interference is seldom a nagging issue, but ground-loop-induced hum definitely is. Using balanced wiring (2 conductors+shield and 3-pin connectors) between a balanced output and an unbalanced input, or an unbalanced output and a balanced input is perfectly adequate at eliminating hum.
Yes, but you don't want to do that, you need the full balanced wiring.

Ok, I think I got your point - discarding the balancing - Signal will result in Gain loss, but grounding it on the input of an unbalanced unit would be fine?
Anyways I will build the pico with balanced I/O, to keep the signal path balanced...wont hurt, I guess!? ;)

mokkinger said:
Hi Guys,

I finally  finished building my Stereo Pico Compressor, and would now love to include it into my setup... which is all balanced XLR, and I dont want to use it unbalanced as it was designed. Now I thought about a That 1646 circuit similar to the ones from
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/collections/all-products/products/balanced-output
which are out of stock and probably discontinued...? 

any idea who makes similar boards, or what other neutral, good sounding balanced I / O solution are there that I could use? 

thanks for hints,
Mark

Build your own on prototyping board ('strip board') ???

dogears said:
If you want the smaller / cleaner PCB or if you like living on the edge, just use the PCB file "no protection".

hmm... where can I find the PCB File "no protection" in the EasyEDA? I only see the latest one...

mokkinger said:
hmm... where can I find the PCB File "no protection" in the EasyEDA? I only see the latest one...

Just leave the 4 diodes on each output off. 

Latest posts

Back