Band I recorded this summer - A thank you.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irfrench

Hi all,

This is probably going to be one THOSE threads which isn't really going anywhere, but I'm really happy with how this recording has ended up and I wanted to say thank you, because, in use across the recording is stuff that I have built thanks to this amazing place (listed below) and I just wanted to thank everyone that contributes here!

:) :) :)

The album can be found here:  http://mountainschmountain.bandcamp.com/album/clothes-you-cant-outgrow.

The album (OK drums) was recorded at a local village hall (that's me skulking around by the window):

tumblr_mngx5tkhYn1srehbko2_400.jpg

And the rest in my little 'studio' setup at home:

tumblr_mo4mhp3dLk1srehbko1_400.jpg

Across the recording I used the following bits of DIY/modded gear at one point or another:

- Rodney's GIX 51x preamp
- Sound Skulptor MP573
- Ruffrecords' Poormans Pultec EQ
- PeterC's S800 EQ
- Hairball Audio 1176 RevA
- Abe's DBX160
- Luny Tunes LA4
- Ruffrecords Valve-DI
- modded/repaired Trion7000

All-in-all I'm really happy with how this DIY effort has come out.  And I cannot help but think the stuff, the people and the community spirit here have all helped me get better at it AND enjoy it more.

So thank you all.

Ian.

:-* :-* :-*  < the least used emoticon on GroupDIY?

Thanks all!

It was a pleasure to record and part of that was definitely not feeling 'the gear' 'get in the way'. In fact, it was the opposite.

riggler said:
Would the Pultec be a good choice as a master EQ??? I want to build something.

It may be really unhelpful of me to say, but it depends!  What do you mean by Master EQ?  As in EQ across the stereo bus?  The main issue with that would be getting the two channels to track accurately, if you did stepped controls I'm sure it'd be accurate enough.  But the thing I like about the Pultec is that it can be both barbaric (e.g. simultaneous boost and cut on kick) or really subtle (e.g. gentle high boosts) really simply.  Plus it sounds good when it is doing it!  ;)

Generally when I'm putting stuff on the stereo bus I like to be able to do very subtle and accurate EQ'ing - if the Pultec happens to fall at those frequencies I'd happily use it, but if I needed to tame 1dB around 350Hz the Pultec (as in the version I built) would not be that suitable.

I haven't yet built a master EQ but from what I understand the NetEQ would be great for this.  If you want a quick and great sounding project though I can highly recommend the Poormans Pultec too...  I told you it may be really unhelpful of me.

Ian

8)

Back