Microphone cable differences

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In audio, voltage matching is the main method of working. This means Rin >> Rout (rule of thumb factor 10). Most preamps work with input impedances of greater than or equal to 1 KOhm.
If you read my post, you would have noticed that I was referring to the output impedance of the mic preamp. I didn't mention its input impedance because it is irrelevant in the discussion.
The main problem is the interaction of the complex load with the individual factors.
And that's exactly what I discussed.
This is discussed in detail in the books on communications engineering. If I find Ing. Wuttke's contribution in the conference documents, I will post the lecture.
With all respect due to Ing. Wuttke, I didn't learn anyhing from his document. It is a vulgarization, destined to technically untrained public. It's electronics #101.
It doesn't mean it is not true, just that it doesn't go deep into understanding complex situations.

If you read my post, you would have noticed that I was referring to the output impedance of the mic preamp. I didn't mention its input impedance because it is irrelevant in the discussion.
Unfortunately, the connection to the output impedance was not so clear in your post.

The input impedance is not irrelevant. Especially for people who aren't that well versed in electronics.

Best regards!

Unfortunately, the connection to the output impedance was not so clear in your post.
What's not clear in this :"In practice, the optimum depends on the relative value of the microphone and preamp output impedance."
The input impedance is not irrelevant.
The input impedance of the mic preamp would be relevant only if it was unduly low. It is understood that the mic pre input impedance is about 5-10x the mic impedance.
Especially for people who aren't that well versed in electronics.
Which, fortunately, is not my case.

Mr. Wuttke's entire book can be found here and is a useful read. It is the latest edition in pdf format, so it can be copied and easily translated into another language.

https://schoeps.de/wissen/dokumente-downloads/vortraege-und-aufsaetze.html

As for the choice of microphone cables, yes, there are differences. For studio use I would always choose GAC3 or some Mogami cable variants, while for live Klotz and some other Mogami cable variants. Considering that the idea that all cables are the same seems to prevail here, it makes no sense for me to elaborate further.

Back