Barstow U-47 Mod of Marshall MXL2001

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ln76d said:
No, i didn't need to change any electronic parts after removing inner mesh.
Never was sounding worse.
To be honest, i don't want to describe difference due to poor translation and i have no "flow" in that type of descriptions.
Audiophiles have best poetry for subjective feelings related with audio equipment :D
Only difference which you should notice is in high-mid and high frequency area. It doesn't affect low end response.
Check by yourself. Don't screw headbasket, grab microphone (don't touch circuit) for a metal base or body pipe, with other hand grab headbasket. Make voice test and gently take off headbasket. If you will get hum, try to ground yourself to the preamp case (with a wire or bare feet :D).  You need to place PSU far away from the microphone.
If you will hear difference between mesh and no mesh at all - with one mesh your final sound should be somewhere in the middle. Don't touch circuit!!!

It would have been nice if you could describe the difference.  :)

Anyway, I'm not sure what you meant by "grab microphone (don't touch circuit) for a metal base or body pipe".  Are you saying to grab the mic with its body pipe attached, which means you can't touch the circuit since it's covered by the body pipe, or are you saying to grab the mic without the body pipe attached, which means you'd have to hold the metal frame onto which the circuit board is screwed?  If I'm gonna get electrocuted, how many volts will I be electrocuted with?  Enough to hurt me?  ;D

Lastly, does the addition of foam to the headbasket cause a slight decrease in the low end response?

Thanks!  :)

With the body pipe attached. I didn't edit text well, first version was without pipe, but you don't need fully opened microphone to test it :) Anyway if you want some fun, it's ca. 100V. Nothing  pleasant.
Foam at the saddle, that shell you made, can affect low end response.
That's why i didn't recommend to mount it. That amount of any material can affect any frequency range depending on it acoustic properities.
Ok i'll try - internal mesh, especially painted and cheap, usual make coloration (rather unpleasant) in mentioned before frequency range. You shouldn't notice any change in amount of specific frequency range but rather cleaner, more natural response.

Better conductor than wire :D

Yup.
Next, walk into water barefooted and open the PSU.  ;D

BTW some earth themselves by walking on grass in the morning on bare feet.
But that's without microphones involved, so I'll refrain.

ln76d said:
With the body pipe attached. I didn't edit text well, first version was without pipe, but you don't need fully opened microphone to test it :) Anyway if you want some fun, it's ca. 100V. Nothing  pleasant.
Foam at the saddle, that shell you made, can affect low end response.
That's why i didn't recommend to mount it. That amount of any material can affect any frequency range depending on it acoustic properities.
Ok i'll try - internal mesh, especially painted and cheap, usual make coloration (rather unpleasant) in mentioned before frequency range. You shouldn't notice any change in amount of specific frequency range but rather cleaner, more natural response.

I think my mic's low end response was reduced a little bit.  I'm going to remove the foam I placed on the saddle.

How about the foam I placed on all the exposed metal frame parts of the headbasket?  What effect do they have on the mic's frequency response?  Do they reduce some frequencies also or not much that is noticeable?

Thanks!  :)

To be honest - i don't know.
I never used such material inside microphones.
It may affect.
Am using flat surface thin stripes which works very well.
Main purpose is to damp some internl resonances, or headbasket ringing but definately not affect frequency response.
That's why for me mr jollo mods are little bit...
ahh...
I  can't say what :D

ln76d said:
To be honest - i don't know.
I never used such material inside microphones.
It may affect.
Am using flat surface thin stripes which works very well.
Main purpose is to damp some internl resonances, or headbasket ringing but definately not affect frequency response.
That's why for me mr jollo mods are little bit...
ahh...
I  can't say what :D

I just asked  Michael Joly and he said the foam at the base of my modded Oktava MK319 serves to isolate the capsule mount from the PCB assembly and thus reduce physical handling noise. It is also used to create a conical base diffuser to reduce internal standing wave coloration. The material is an open cell foam covered with hot glue.

I think that since the foam he used is covered with hot glue (which solidifies like plastic), it no longer acts as an absorber but as a diffuser only.

mtl777diy said:
I just asked  Michael Joly and he said the foam at the base of my modded Oktava MK319 serves to isolate the capsule mount from the PCB assembly and thus reduce physical handling noise. It is also used to create a conical base diffuser to reduce internal standing wave coloration. The material is an open cell foam covered with hot glue.

This guy isn't serious...

I would throw out that foam, before its degradation,  guys were talking about taht in this topic.

If i get another MK-319 for mod, i will check is there any possibility to change overall capsule assembly to typical saddle.
This is what could improve a little colorations inside headbasket.

ln76d said:
mtl777diy said:

This guy isn't serious...

In fairness to Mr. Joly, my modded MK319 sounds great.

I asked him about the foam and he says it isn't intended to be an absorber but a diffuser.  That's why it's covered with hot glue, which hardens like plastic.  Looking at the foam, I see that it is very low density and the open cells are rather big.  If you imagine applying hot glue on that kind of material, the glue will first sink into the cells before it hardens.  Then when it hardens, you will have a solid but very irregular surface -- just what is needed for a diffuser.

I would throw out that foam, before its degradation,  guys were talking about taht in this topic.

Well, with the hot glue immersed in the foam and hardened, the foam ceases to be low density, and I don't think it will degrade and crumble even in five years time.  If it does, it's cheap and easy to replace it.

If your capsule will be dirty, from that foam, for some time  i can always clean it :D
You can find me always here ;)
Best would be to get another same mike without foam and compare both, how it truly affect quality of microphone.
In my opinion any diffusor or even absorber around the capsule, especially that big, can affect too much response.
This type of unprofessional solutions can works like a charm for some frequency range but for the other it can make complete mess. I doubt that originator made any measurements of his "improvement" and t would be worth to check.

Back