BeesNeez M50 Capsule in Mic&Mod Body?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piedmont Audio

I'm curious about the feasibility of using a BeesNeez M50 capsule with the Mic&Mod M9 (M49) DIY kit. Their listing for the M49 body a la carte warns that their body is different in size from the Neumann so I'm wondering if the APE sphere would fit. Would there be anything else circuit-wise I would need to watch out for?

Given the size of the M7 capsule, looks plenty big enough for a 40mm sphere to fit.

Since the kit is for a vari-pattern mic, the circuit and PSU are much more complex than that required for an M50 type.

Attachments

• M9.png
    M9.png
    82.6 KB
I think you will have to lower the two standoffs which hold the upper pcb. As the grill is slanted and get‘s narrower at the top I reckon the 40mm sphere will not fit so high as in the picture.
Also, when you use a rubber mount for the M50 capsule you have to think about a way to limit it‘s movement front to back. Neumann did it with a rubber piece at the top. Because there is not much space left between the capsule and the grill and stronger movement of the mic could hit the capsule against the grill.

I think you will have to lower the two standoffs which hold the upper pcb. As the grill is slanted and get‘s narrower at the top I reckon the 40mm sphere will not fit so high as in the picture.
Also, when you use a rubber mount for the M50 capsule you have to think about a way to limit it‘s movement front to back. Neumann did it with a rubber piece at the top. Because there is not much space left between the capsule and the grill and stronger movement of the mic could hit the capsule against the grill.
The need for a top stabilizing rubber piece will depend on how flexible the capsule's rubber post is; no idea how similar the BeezNeez is to the Neumann original in that regard (it actually appears to be some sort of transluscent material [silicone?]).

Is BeezNeez really making this aluminum capsule themselves, if not who might it be? Is anyone making aluminum diaphragm capsules?

Third image shows how capsule sits in the real thing.

Attachments

• BN.png
    BN.png
    176.2 KB
  • m50.png
    m50.png
    64.1 KB
  • clear.png
    clear.png
    96.9 KB
Last edited:
That thread says he settled on titanium, but the website says aluminum, so . . .?
Thought I had seen that too before, so don’t know the actual answer there. I wonder if he actually changed at some point or decided to change before the first ones sold, or actually nothing ever changed and the website is simply wrong. No idea.

Back