Beis AD24QS 192khz/24 bit ADC kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sergio,
Cool progress!  If he gets the wordclock option going, I'm the first in line for that mod!!! Grin
Thanks I'm doing my best, hope Uwe will be successful with this Wclock option  :)

skal1 said:
Hi Moby,

do not really know much about  A/D OR D/A  but if this unit is as good as the that Lavry  stuff i am up for it

regards

skal1
Did you listened the sound samples? I did test with Lavry Blue. Tell me what you think  :)

why don't you get get an evaluation board at the manufacture ad a power supply and maybe change the opamps thats it, it's probably better

nicholas

Electrolyctic Caps and power supply have been an important source of experimentation for me. I have learned that increased supply voltage which translates to greater headroom is awesome for recordings if you are trying to get a nicer tape feel on digital gear, obviously without getting horrible digital clipping. I like the samples I hear on this post in comparison to the others, but I would be keen to understand the maximum power supply and caps that could be introduced in this project to get the max headroom out of the unit.

e.oelberg said:
why don't you get get an evaluation board at the manufacture ad a power supply and maybe change the opamps thats it, it's probably better

nicholas

nicholas, you dont look dumb to me, please think it over. Now you paid 150usd for that TI stuff. They wont sell it to anyone for 30 weeks because "someone" talked everyone into that sh*t over gearslutz.

Same thing happened years ago with ad1955 evkit. It was 230 usd , now its 600. I saw those adc threads over GS, it was embarassing. 

nicholas, you dont look dumb to me, please think it over. Now you paid 150usd for that TI stuff. They wont sell it to anyone for 30 weeks because "someone" talked everyone into that sh*t over gearslutz.

Same thing happened years ago with ad1955 evkit. It was 230 usd , now its 600. I saw those adc threads over GS, it was embarassing.
Exactly  ;D Also, AD24QS is unique DUY project  ;)
Electrolyctic Caps and power supply have been an important source of experimentation for me. I have learned that increased supply voltage which translates to greater headroom is awesome for recordings if you are trying to get a nicer tape feel on digital gear, obviously without getting horrible digital clipping. I like the samples I hear on this post in comparison to the others, but I would be keen to understand the maximum power supply and caps that could be introduced in this project to get the max headroom out of the unit.
I agree about PSU, but first we have to make possible ADC . At least this is the hearth of this project since PSU and caps can be anything you consider as best sounding. Of course, it's not the problem to ask Uwe's suggestion about it.

Some progress finally  :) Still preliminary but I;m sure that Wclock option will be available soon as a kit  ;)
http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/Preview/XSAD24-prel.html

Moby said:
Some progress finally  :) Still preliminary but I;m sure that Wclock option will be available soon as a kit  ;)
http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/Preview/XSAD24-prel.html

Very nice to see, it's amazing that Herr Beis puts so much work into this feature.

However, could you ask him whether the clock signal is routed through the CPLD? If so, this will add quite a bit of jitter by way of CPLD ground bounce. Also, what kind of WC receiver is he using?

JDB.

playboss said:
e.oelberg said:

nicholas

... and that sort of shit over at GS (and other amateur forums) makes it difficult for actual working engineers to get tech support and development kits. The reason for the price rise is to simply weed out the people who will waste tech support resources.

Having said that, if you're an actual engineer working on actual products, you can ring your local sales office or rep and get the eval kit for a discount, and sometimes for free.

-a

Very nice to see, it's amazing that Herr Beis puts so much work into this feature.

However, could you ask him whether the clock signal is routed through the CPLD? If so, this will add quite a bit of jitter by way of CPLD ground bounce. Also, what kind of WC receiver is he using?

JDB.
I'm still waiting to see jitter measuring results. Sorry, I have no details but here is some details about http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/Preview/XSAD24-prel.html#General

audio precision S2 has these cirrus converters too ... in this segment, I don think theres much difference between chips,besides
-level of integration (ESS comes with builtin spdif/aes, yay)
-power dissipation  (pcm4222 consumes less than the top AKM, then in turn ESS cuts power down to 1/6 of 4222  ;D).

this leaves us with analog related stuff that can make difference. Plenty of digital stuff over at diyhifi forums though, someone mentioned he sourced 44khz base freq for cheap too.

I'm happy to inform that Uwe added some preliminary jitter measurement results under his site. Since he went with some custom measuring method I must admit that I'm not sure how good-bad it is, but please, don't hesitate to comment  ;D
http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/Preview/XSAD24_Jitter-prel.html

That's a ... novel way of measuring jitter. A more traditional way would be to look at the MCLK and not the WCLK, using something like http://www.wenzel.com/documents/measuringphasenoise.htm .

What he's displayed is (a measure of) phase noise, not jitter. No big deal, integrating phase noise over an interval of interest should give jitter (see http://www.analog.com/en/training-and-tutorials/tutorials/design-center/tutorials/CU_tutorials_MT-008/resources/fca.html).

I can't tell how good these figures are without more information, specifically about his method of averaging (voltage or magnitude).

JDB.

Yes, I see that but I didn't wanted to comment because of my limited "digital knowledge" . Anyway, he will repeat the measuring in traditional way but has no appropriate equipment right now  ;)

It's quiet because Mr Beis is still trying to make kits available . There were some success with Wclock option but  he promised some more progress in May  :)

playboss said:
e.oelberg said:
nicholas

Guess What... they already spotted it...

I really hope end users start pressing the manufacturers to use that chip - every review of it helps us :)

playboss said:
-power dissipation   (pcm4222 consumes less than the top AKM, then in turn ESS cuts power down to 1/6 of 4222  ;D).

TPboss, as far as I know, the ESS device your talking about is an Audio DAC, not an ADC.
Almost every DAC I know of consumes less power than it's dynamic range equivalent ADC.

as for word clocks... you might be interested in this.
http://focus.ti.com.cn/cn/lit/an/scaa088/scaa088.pdf

the range of lock is a little narrow, but the accuracy is very _very_ good.

deuce42 said:
Hi Moby and others

This thread is a litte quiet. Just wondering if there is any new developments here. I am still very interested.
Unfortunately interest for this is not so great to push mr. Beis harder and organize group buy,but we made some progress regarding WClock and as I can see http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/ADDA24QS_Order.html there is available kits  ;D
edit: I contacted Uwe again and as soon as I receive the answer I will report here.

Latest posts

Back