Beis AD24QS 192khz/24 bit ADC kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be interested in building this for sure. i don't know much about digital tho!

It would be more worthwhile if it was setup for word clock sync. i took a look at uwe's site and its possible to just add the second board. 

i'd be interested in balanced inputs with the word clock. one board would be nice, or a multi channel???

As I promised I contacted Uwe again and yes, both kits are available, ADC , DAC, but Wclock option is still unavailable.  :( It works but need to be "fine tuned" . Good news are that it will be available, probably soon , bad that it will be a bit expensive. Kit option is not possible since it must be assembled and tested by Uwe  :-\
one board would be nice, or a multi channel???
I suggest to start from one board and if you like it multichannel is possible later  ;)

Is it the word clock that needs to be assembled/tested by Uwe or all of it?  The word clock looks mostly SMD

geetar_king said:
Is it the word clock that needs to be assembled/tested by Uwe or all of it?  The word clock looks mostly SMD
No, just a Wclock. ADC and DAC are available as kit version

Just wondering whether anyone who has built one of these could share their views regarding the sound of these units, and comparison with any comercial adc/dacs.  I've had a good listen to the samples posted here but would be interested to hear any views of those who've used these units on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Josh

I've used the ADC quite a bit.  It sounds quite good... although I haven't really compared them to the apogee's, myteks etc. head
to head, so I can't give you a "sounds like" comparison.  The only downside is that in using the beis, you must use it as master clock or you will get some serious artifacts... although last time I spoke with Uwe, he was working on a wordclock extension.

All in all a good little unit, and if Uwe is selling em again, you can't go wrong for the price.

Please forgive my ignorance but...

If i was to diy these converters what interface do i need on my computer to get the digital signals in/out to my DAW. Do i need an expensive box like an RME Digiface or will any interface with a spdif or toslink in/out do?

Once the DAC ADC conversion is done is that the important part sound quality wise, does it then not matter how i plumb that into the DAW.

I would also only want to run the interface only at 96Khz.

thanks

Just wondering whether anyone who has built one of these could share their views regarding the sound of these units, and comparison with any comercial adc/dacs.
I just received the ADC and DAC kits so soon will have some opinion about.
Please forgive my ignorance but...

If i was to diy these converters what interface do i need on my computer to get the digital signals in/out to my DAW. Do i need an expensive box like an RME Digiface or will any interface with a spdif or toslink in/out do?

Once the DAC ADC conversion is done is that the important part sound quality wise, does it then not matter how i plumb that into the DAW.

I would also only want to run the interface only at 96Khz.

thanks
Well, it works with cheap soundcards but some of them are really poor designed so digital transfer isn't error free. Of course some reasonable priced soundcard can do the job  ;D

Here we go with pic .PCB quality is really great, gold plated,  everything is packed well , all parts as promised in precise German style  :)
beis-kits.jpg

Here we go... finally. Both kit's are working from first powering. Smoothly , no problem at all. Only thing I forgot is to change input output gain to 18dbFS at first , but with changing few resistors I did that too.
I don't have any fancy equipment to measure performance but my ears, so all of my comments  about sound are really subjective. I compared the Beis with Lynx L22 and soon I will do the same against Prism. What to say? I decided to rack both units as soon as possible  ;). I always had an impression about Lynx that it sounds kind of "wiry" , harsh and with lack of energy, with extended soundstage in DA section.. Probably some phase shift but I never measured that. With Beis I don't have that feeling and it sounds natural to my ear. Smooth and no harsh effects. Hope that someone else can share my impressions.
BEIS-ADDA.jpg

BEIS-ADDA2.jpg

You mentioned you'll try it alongside Prism. Which one, the Orpheus?

I would be very interested on subjective comparisons between Orpheus and this DIY kit.

Yes Orpheus , but I still didn't compare. I hope that I will find some time to do that. BTW, Orpheus is best value for money I had a chance to test  ;)

Thanks for boldly going. I see that a lot of people are intrigued by the Beis kits but not willing to take the leap (myself included).

Have you tried clocking any other devices to the Beis wordclock output?

Also, any chance you could split a live signal to the inputs of both the Beis and the Lynx and upload the resulting files so we can have a comparison of the AD side?

Brian

Have you tried clocking any other devices to the Beis wordclock output?
Beis kits don't have WClock out (unfortunately).
Also, any chance you could split a live signal to the inputs of both the Beis and the Lynx and upload the resulting files so we can have a comparison of the AD side?
No prob, can you suggest kind of material you want to hear

Latest posts

Back