Best K47 copy, for under 200?

Help Support GroupDIY:

Urskov

I get it. Businesses are supposed to be run by circus monkeys who's only job is to ask how high... But there are quite a few out there who don't see it that way. You can't control what people say, so easier to just let everything fall where it's supposed to. If everyone believes they're stock 3U capsules, that might even increase sales. Lost on some is that they're not much cheaper.

Not sure what counts as proof either as this isn't a 25yr+ old company like Josephson with expanded facilities, but here's assembly pictures of a K87 type capsule. Might be the only full set posted on the web. Taken today. Every step except for the tensioning/tuning of the diaphragm is included:

That's the unglorious it. Art of skinning in less than 20 pictures. Guess it would have looked more exciting through a DSLR...

Maiku also does installs for clients, reskins of vintage capsules, and vintage mic restorations. A few members on this forum have used those services already... My involvement is with the parts supply side (NOS tubes, 3rd party capsules/transformers, custom plastic and metal parts etc). Not involved with the online capsule shop.

Thanks for being civil and the only one who understood the name (y)
Thanks for acknowledging my attempts at civility. I have a personal philosophy to debate like I would in person. I'm an educated grown-up, so why resort to kindergarten-like personal insults. There's plenty of that shit on social media already.

I agree that you shouldn't do everything some internet warrior tells you to do, just to prove that you're for real. I'm glad you still responded to this, so thanks for clarifying your relationship to Maiku once and for all. Hopefully it can dispel any rumors so that gossip doesn't spread like a wildfire. Think of all the passive visitors/on-lookers who, perhaps, goes to another forum and "reports" about what they've read here.

I'm sounding like a broken record here, but when you have such a small market as the DIY market with, as I said, critical costumers. Some go all-in and buy the handmade capsules, some, like me, are hobbyists who can't - and doesn't want to - spend excess dough and therefore a looking at the ultimate bang for the buck. Maiku fortunately already has that reputation - I saw a post over on Gearspace with a glowing recommendation.

BUT... What I meant by posting the Josephson site and the Soyuz video - I know it's overkill because they are on a completely different level in expertise and facility-wise - is that documentation is important. Why? Because you can verify your credibility and state your purpose.

In that regard, I think GeorgeToledo up above has a point: Why reskin a Far East capsule? I think already know the answer - because it's the hardest part to get right when manufacturing the capsules, right? A lot of costumers don't.

I know you're already writing: "This approach allows us to offer boutique style performance at a competitive price." But it says nothing about why your skinning technique is better than the original, as George points out.
It could be something like:
"We reskin the capsules because it's the hardest part to get right when manufacturing and tuning the capsules. While Far East production has become great at manufacturing capsules with regards to price-to-quality ratio, they can benefit greatly from more attention to detail subsequently from a skilled capsule craftman. We use [THIS AND THIS JIG] and our [HOW MANY YEARS] of experience of reskinning and restoring vintage microphones and capsules to finely tune the capsules, allowing us to offer boutique style performance at a competitive price. From our own and our costumers' experience it results in capsules that are more well-rounded in the frequency response."

[show frequency response graph, if possible]
[links to sound clips demonstrating before and after]
[insert customer statement here about the quality of the capsule]

...and then put it all at the top of the front page, instead of hiding it in a FAQ that some might not read.

Combine that with an "About us" page introducing you and Maiku him-/herself, and you have more credibility than you'll ever need.

This is also not just about credibility. There's another element to this: storytelling. It's such a clichéd word in marketing - but it is so because it's true. Consumers today are suckers for products with a story (think of the Soyuz video with the "Soviet weapons machinist" guy). It gives them something to tell friends and others when recommending the capsules through word-of-mouth.

I hope my advice can prove useful to you. I'm damaged from working with marketing and communication, as you can see, haha.

Anyways, your forthcomingness have brought me back on track towards buying Maiku capsules. I also look forward to the next batch of KM84 kits :) I'm thankful I can get 3 all-important capsules of boutique quality for the same price I can buy a single entry-level tube mic. So keep up the good work.

Last edited:

GeorgeToledo

I find it more believable that some of these large asian manufacturers would have more comprehensive setups to diaphragm their own capsules, than what is visible with some of these “third party skinner” methods.

While I can imagine some valid reasoning behind adding a diaphragm out of house, I can’t remember ever hearing what I would personally feel to be valid reasoning conveyed. Usually there is mention of steps I am more doubtful about.

It is a rough scenario though, because if any company gets more detailed about what they are doing it provides a checklist for someone else’s potential business model.

Last edited:

soliloqueen

I find it more believable that some of these large asian manufacturers would have more comprehensive setups to diaphragm their own capsules, than what is visible with some of these “third party skinner” methods.

While I can imagine some valid reasoning behind adding a diaphragm out of house, I can’t remember ever hearing what I would personally feel to be valid reasoning conveyed. Usually there is mention of steps I am more doubtful about.

It is a rough scenario though, because if any company gets more detailed about what they are doing it provides a checklist for someone else’s potential business model.
Impurities in the PET can dick with high frequency response by changing how the diaphragm sympathetically resonates with the sound I personally feel, but if the manufacturer is already using high quality PET there's not a tremendous amount of added value, except maybe the value of changing the diaphragm tuning which to be fair can be a pretty big change in sound. The value of Maiku over 3U Stock is probably sonic differences from level of tension. You could certainly ask the manufacturer to do that in house, but I think Maiku Probably just has fun doing it this way, and I think that's a perfectly valid justification for doing it, And if people are willing to pay extra for someone being passionate about it I don't think that's a terrible thing. Kind of getting into the realm of art though

GeorgeToledo

The preparation of materials and surfaces, in multiple ways, is where it would seem advantages could happen. Very generally, and just my own opinion…

With the mylar, there could be some advantages with subtype, pretreatment for humidity and form factor, advantages with gold evaporation methodology and surface treatments for best bond with gold, post capsule aging treatments, resonant frequency check, and more.

Then there is the matter of preparation of the backplates, as far as making sure the holes are uniform, smoothed out if needed, and fully cleaned of anything residual from the machining process.

When a third party reskinner seems to not have access to the tools and machinery that the factories do in Asia, it seems like some sort of case should be made beyond the capsule somehow being better because it was assembled in a different geographic location. If they do have access to better equipment, and/or have process they think is better, it would just be helpful to make some of those points to potential customers.

soliloqueen

There is a bizarre and kind of frightening lack of transparency in the diy capsule industry. There are really two types of capsule marketing: saying absolutely nothing and saying 20 pages of shit that has nothing to do with anything.

The only full blown business company with a genuinely respectable amount of transparency is AA. They went through their entire development process, manufacturer selection process, etc with names on another forum. I always really respected them for that.

McIrish

This thread has become a little caustic at times but I really do appreciate everyone's input on this topic. I've only done a handful of mic modifications but even with that, I have found the capsule to account for at least 75% of the tonal characteristic of a mic (assuming the electronics were done properly). I have a Beesneez K7 and think it is a truly great capsule at least on par with the Thiersch M7 Red I have. I've always wondered about Maiku and wanted to know more about them. I guess I will find out a bit firsthand when my KM84 clone kits arrive later today. Now, I just need to wait for Mouser to get parts in stock again! :)

Whoops

The only full blown business companha with a genuinely respectable amount of transparency is AA. They went through their entire development process, manufacturer selection process, etc with names on another forum. I always really respected them for that.

I respect Adanced Audio a lot, their mics are really really good, and very affordable.

Could you please post links of that thread from another forum?
Would love to know more about them

Thank you so much

xeawr

Dear colleagues,

I'm a bit saddened to see the methodical criticism displayed to the disadvantage of Maiku et. al. The internet can sometimes lead to a certain form of inadvertent "triangulation", where you don't talk to the person, but about the person. In the past I have reached out to Maiku through e-mail and he has always been very informative and friendly. Not only that, he's been extremely helpful and in some ways "bent over backwards" to help me with some microphones, where he could have readily dismissed my requests. He worked on some of my microphones, and I'm still deeply impressed by his level of commitment and professionalism. I'm well aware this sounds like I'm a Maiku "fanboi", but all I can say is that sending my hard earned money his way in exchange for his work was a good experience. I can't say anything about his capsules, because I haven't heard them yet, but I wouldn't hesitate doing business with him again. This seems like a very "pro Maiku" statement, and I'm not writing this because I was told, but because it was my experience and wouldn't I want people to acknowledge my work as well, and maybe share their experience with others?

When in doubt reach out to him, I'm sure he will gladly respond to all your requests and provide you with helpful information.

And now back to the point: The only two things I'm looking for in a mic capsule is: a good midrange resolution, and a smooth high end (≠ little high end). I can do the rest with EQ. I'm hoping that the Maiku will give me both... whaddayathink?

Whoops

I can't say anything about his capsules, because I haven't heard them yet

We were discussing the source and production of the capsules Maiku sells.
It doesn't seem you have much to add...

Latest posts