best software for PCB editing and layouts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikka said:
:green: Express PCB combined with Express Schematic is free and easy.  I've just started using it and it works well.  Yeah .... you have to draw some of your own components but that's no big deal.  It behaves well.  Get the "print to PDF" software off the net .....
I've used Express PCB from 15 to 20 years ago - it's absolutely easy to use (perhaps because there's not a lot to it), but the software uses proprietary files and only "works" for ordering boards from them. They were expensive back then (the cheapest service was three boards, 2"x3" or so, around $60), and their price hasn't dropped much while other services (that take standard Gerber files) are practically free by comparison.

What does the "print to PDF" do for you?

olimex are stupidly cheap but only do up to 2 layers...

I can recommend dirtypcbs,  as they are equally inexpensive and do a good job.
If you pay extra for rush fabrication you will see your boards arrive in about two weeks. They have spoiled me rotten.

Some warnings:
Don't expect to communicate special case stuff to them- they are just middleman for a larger fabricator that does not 'interpret' what you give them.
For example I asked to reverse a silkscreen layer, and dirtypcb's suggested I edit the gerber, (swap the extensions, top to bottom, bottom to top), but when the boards arrived they were not swapped-- the way it should of gone- having improperly designed it in the first place.

And beware placing orders with them during the Chinese new year; that's their only production bottleneck I've experienced.

Edit: lulz just saw the age of this post.... ::)  Thought that counts?  <3

> I can not find a driver for my PDA(Lenovo).

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/

I would NOT get drivers from any source except the maker.

You're all too kind: A bot digs up a 10 years old topic, replies to it with a tangential (at best) question, and you all reply politely  ;D

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
You're all too kind: A bot digs up a 10 years old topic, replies to it with a tangential (at best) question, and you all reply politely  ;D

Jakob E.
I'm surprised I'm so polite, even though I didn't respond to the bot  - there seems to be no good standards for doing PC layout, and I get frustrated trying to learn programs that, among other user-interface no-nos I don't see elsewhere, move the mouse cursor around (!!!). Perhaps I "know too much" and should stop expecting better things after 45 years of GUI research and design.

I now see the post I responded to earlier was from 2007, I don't suppose I'll get a response.

benb said:
I'm surprised I'm so polite, even though I didn't respond to the bot  - there seems to be no good standards for doing PC layout, and I get frustrated trying to learn programs that, among other user-interface no-nos I don't see elsewhere, move the mouse cursor around (!!!). Perhaps I "know too much" and should stop expecting better things after 45 years of GUI research and design.

I now see the post I responded to earlier was from 2007, I don't suppose I'll get a response.

there is a standard, most major professional audio companies are using solid works combined with altium designer.  but it's ridiculously expensive. 

I'm misunderstood (misunderestimated???) again ... by "standard" I didn't mean the one software program most used in industry, but rather some actions that are common between programs such that knowing one or two programs, you have some hope of being able to do something useful with the others without going through hours of reading documentation, watching Youtube videos, etc.

Text editng/word processing is standardized like this. Someone who learned MacWrite in 1984 has some hope of creating a reasonable document using the latest Microsoft Word - the ideas of selecting text, cut-and-paste are the same. Spreadsheets are similarly standard, and a Visicalc user can easily learn the basics of Excel. There's no hope of this between PCB layout (nor schematic entry) programs, or even between more generalized CAD programs.

Latest posts

Back