Best transformer for a u47 style MXL 2001 (Royer Mod)? Basically a Tube Mic.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

He lists Jensen but I'm curious what the recommendations are on transformers. I wish I could try them all but figured I'd ask.

The Royer mod is a very different circuit than a u47, so you don't have to limit the choice to "u47" transformers.
It's cathode biased and it doesn't have a bypass cap, while the u47 is fixed bias using the heater supply. And different tubes.
The u47 uses a lower ratio transformer than what Royer recommends, and lower than most other plate output designs.
I built a pair of mics based on the Royer circuit using 10:1 Beyer transformers and edge terminated capsules. They are excellent mics.
You may just want to experiment with the output coupling cap value and type to dial it in with a particular transformer. I think I ended up using a smaller value than Royer.
So, I'd suggest trying any high quality ~10:1 transformer.
Ioaudio & AMI both make great transformers, imo. 

The ratio of the current transformer is around 2:1 correct? I'm guessing this would be much to low on the primary side?

Latest posts

Back