Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of powered stage monitors use the Neutrik powercon ,
when glasses of beer go flying its definately a safer bet than an IEC .

I went to see Guns n Roses at Slane castle in 1992 ,
Axl arrived in his own private chopper around 45 minutes after the show was due to begin ,
An hour late and he still hadnt made an appearance , the crowd flew into a rage , started filling empty cider flaggons with piss and slinging them up on to the stage , Lord Mountcharles arrived out told the crowd if the missbehaviour didnt stop the show would be canceled . Roadies had to be sent out to clear the stage of debris , there was piss everywhere . My guess is their backline smelled funny for quite a while after .

Received my hydraulic knockout punch and custom die that @gyraf mentioned. It works excellent and I can now cut out an IEC and fuse combo in about 2 minutes, while i get my cnc setup up and running. Fantastic solution for low volume but more than 1 off chassis work. Couldn't be happier. Thank you gyraf for sharing your knowledge! :)

Last edited:
Gave a little more thought about this.
As I mentioned earlier I'm not a fan of the IEC/fuse combo.

I came with a posible solution using standard C14 sockets such as this

C14.jpg
I made a piece with my 3D printer
adapter.jpg
Assembled, it looks like this:
assembly front view.jpgassembly rear view.jpg
One has to drill a hole of diametre between 28 and 32.5mm.
size.jpg
I've ordered a 30mm metal hole-saw
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/38562955243...%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675&epid=11060592822
Now to the drill press!

Last edited:
3D printed frame is a nice solution.
I went on and ordered a custom die for the exact same IEC inlet without a fuse.
It’s for a 22.5*30.5mm hole. If anybody needs it:
https://sl.aliexpress.ru/p?key=KVc8Z9L
Edit. This is for the back side mounted inlet. I haven’t received the punch yet, so can’t comment on the quality.

Last edited:
3D printed frame is a nice solution.
I went on and ordered a custom die for the exact same IEC inlet without a fuse.
It’s for a 22.5*30.5mm hole. If anybody needs it:
https://sl.aliexpress.ru/p?key=KVc8Z9L
Edit. This is for the back side mounted inlet. I haven’t received the punch yet, so can’t comment on the quality.
Does it have rounded corners?

The only piece od scrap steel I could find was that:
scrap metal.jpg
It's a rectangular tube 40x20mm wall thickness 1.5mm. I thought it would be a tedious job. No. I drilled the two holes in less that 15 minutes, including battling with the chuck that would fall from the Morse cone. I chose to do it on the cheap chinese press, so it would be in line with what most DIYers have. I have a bigger machine, but I wouldn't tell in honest truth that what worked with it would work for most.
hole.jpg
Then I drilled the two fixing holes, using the socket as guide.
fixing holes.jpg
Now with the socket installed:
socket top.jpgsocket rear.jpg
I wouldn't really suggest doing that with a hand drill on an unsupported panel.

Do you have a link or picture?
IMG_0467.jpeg
This is the same synth from the other thread.
I want to replace the inlet with a modern 3-pole one. It does fit, but if it’s mounted at the back of the panel. A plastic outer panel has approximately 2mm of internal height clearance and can’t fit the inlet if it’s front mounted.

View attachment 113227
This is the same synth from the other thread.
I want to replace the inlet with a modern 3-pole one. It does fit, but if it’s mounted at the back of the panel. A plastic outer panel has approximately 2mm of internal height clearance and can’t fit the inlet if it’s front mounted.
OK, I get it. You think the opening in the plastic panel is large enough, or you'll need to enlarge it?

The opening in the plastic panel is just enough for the IEC inlet. I know it because I installed those in a couple of synths. It’s a tedious work with the dremel though. I want something faster, easier and cleaner.

I went to see Guns n Roses at Slane castle in 1992 ,
Axl arrived in his own private chopper around 45 minutes after the show was due to begin ,
An hour late and he still hadnt made an appearance , the crowd flew into a rage , started filling empty cider flaggons with piss and slinging them up on to the stage , Lord Mountcharles arrived out told the crowd if the missbehaviour didnt stop the show would be canceled . Roadies had to be sent out to clear the stage of debris , there was piss everywhere . My guess is their backline smelled funny for quite a while after .

The Piss-Slingers...sounds like a band I could do without hearing (or seeing or smelling).

Probably have platinum album sales & I'm out of touch with what's (un)cool.

Might be best watched at home on Pee-per-View widescreen.

Latest posts

Back