Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.

Help Support GroupDIY:

Organicfet

Ask for IEC screw die dimensions..

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000099972331.html

Easy to use, drill a hole in the middle, put the dies betewen across the screw and turn the hex with a key.
If you need made a lot get the hydraulic unit..

Cheers

gyraf

Staff member
Organicfet said:
Ask for IEC screw die dimensions..

Is that a standard measure? Did you get such a tool made?

It's unclear what dimension steel it's supposed to cut. I'd like to cut 1.2/1.5mm steel

/Jakob E.

PermO

1.2 / 1.5mm steel,no problem, I made holes in Rittal Cabinet side panels with these (not the aliexpress ones)

Never seen a IEC sized one.

Squeaky

abbey road d enfer said:
Indeed; that was in the recommandations. It did not prevent what I consider premature failure.

I have used a range Greenlee punches quite a lot on mild steel (1.5mm) and aluminium (up to 3mm), mostly for tube sockets but also for XLRs. I have had to replace the draw bolt a couple of times (more my lack of conscientiousness when it comes to using cutting oil and probably punching too many holes in a run - they get quite hot), but the actual punches are still fine.

When it comes to cutting IECs I just carefully drill each of the corners and then use a nibbler.

Organicfet

gyraf said:
Is that a standard measure? Did you get such a tool made?

It's unclear what dimension steel it's supposed to cut. I'd like to cut 1.2/1.5mm steel

/Jakob E.
Aliexpress is the cheap way..

I believe you have the solution very near you. Search the Best electrical industrial supplies and ask for punch die Taylor made or ask in a good mechanizing work Shop, explain What you need and made, its easy, mechanizing and heat treatment.

Some years ago I remember 140 euros for prismatic contour, an iec is more easy.

Cheers!

abbey road d enfer

Organicfet said:
Aliexpress is the cheap way..

I believe you have the solution very near you. Search the Best electrical industrial supplies and ask for punch die Taylor made or ask in a good mechanizing work Shop, explain What you need and made, its easy, mechanizing and heat treatment.

Some years ago I remember 140 euros for prismatic contour, an iec is more easy.

Cheers!
That seems easy for you, particularly with this link in Spanish.
What about setting up a group buy?
I guess we could probably find a dozen of interested members. I would be for one.