[BUILD] 1176 Rev A - Back to the beginning...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benlindell said:
pietro_moog said:
hi guys.
i'm looking for a nice power transformer from mouser.
do you have a suggestion?
http://www.antekinc.com/ is where I always buy power transformers from, best prices I've seen.
http://www.mouser.com:80/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/VPT24-2080/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtlKt%2fhwW%252bxLShKYyyYbCyA if you really want mouser

Can you imagine the disappointment when a transformer arrives in Italy from Mouser in the US with too little voltage and far more current than is required?

I always advise that you do your own research when sourcing parts, Mr. Moog. There's a learning curve but you'll find it is actually a lot of fun as well as educational. You may find you've ended up with a locally made part that is the envy of others on the forum not located in your region.

has anyone noticed the bom for the latest version of the revA calls for an electrolytic polarized cap in c7 and c10? these should be 1uf unpolarized orange drop film caps, right?

band_master said:
has anyone noticed the bom for the latest version of the revA calls for an electrolytic polarized cap in c7 and c10? these should be 1uf unpolarized orange drop film caps, right?

On my Rev. A MNATS rev. 125.2, both of those in question are indeed 1uf Sprague film caps

band_master said:

If you have a look at the original schematic, you'll see that they used polarized electrolytics in those positions. If you look at my boards, you'll see that I've added numerous pads so the builder can make their own choices.

excellent. thanks, mnats!

quick questions about the hairball ratio board...

http://hairballaudio.com/docs/FET_Compressor_PCB_Board_Info_V2.pdf

it looks like r8, r9, and r10 are different on hairball's pdf for A vs. D. The link to the mouser cart on the hairball site for the A kit seems to include the resistors for the D ratio board vs. A? is it ok to use the resistors specified for the D kit with the A boards?

also, i noticed that the PCB calls for a 10K resistor in R11 while the bom calls for 9.1K?

BD

so i checked out the version 1.2.5 schematic and answered my own questions re: the ratio board resistors. i have the compressor built and passing signal. everything seems to be working: input, output, attack, release, ratios, etc. i am having trouble with the second calibration video, though. i can use the panel  mounted pot to zero the GR on the meter, however when I turn the pot at R75 i can't get the voltage to get below 0.456 DC. I have tried the jumper in both positions and get the same results. it looks like in the rev D manual downloaded from the JBL site there is no mention of the DC voltage measurement? any insight would be most appreciated. attached is a picture of the orientation of my trimmers, jumper, etc. thanks!!!

BD

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    556.9 KB · Views: 90
i am checking DC on either side of R74. when i adjust the trimmer on R75 i am not able to get much of a change at all in either direction. the DC reading is at .454 volts.

band_master said:
also, i noticed that the PCB calls for a 10K resistor in R11 while the bom calls for 9.1K?

Yep, noticed that, too. I used the 9.1k resistor because the schematics call for it. No problems so far.

what's actually the purpose of the stereo link kit when both units have to be adjusted separately anyways?

atticmike said:
what's actually the purpose of the stereo link kit when both units have to be adjusted separately anyways?

The stereo link boards sum the audio that feeds the sidechain IIRC.  This way both channels "track" together (react to the sum of both channels' level) assuming the Attack/Release/Ratio/Gains are set the same (versus both channels reacting independently to left and right input levels).

8)

Thanks, good to know :)

By the way does anyone have the measures and drill holes / cavity location for the face plate?

Randyman... said:
atticmike said:

The stereo link boards sum the audio that feeds the sidechain IIRC.  This way both channels "track" together (react to the sum of both channels' level) assuming the Attack/Release/Ratio/Gains are set the same (versus both channels reacting independently to left and right input levels).

8)

Hello,
If my question seems out of place please let me know :)

I'm very new to this thread, and even though i read Mnats website page i was wondering for a first 1176 clone to build which PCB board should i order? The original version from Gyraf and do it the way it is described on his website or the improved version by Mnats?

I also found out that Hairball is out of stock.

Any other solutions?

Thank you

is there a picture like this one for the revision A ?

g1176_front-300x88.jpg

manulaudic said:
Hello,
If my question seems out of place please let me know :)

I'm very new to this thread, and even though i read Mnats website page i was wondering for a first 1176 clone to build which PCB board should i order? The original version from Gyraf and do it the way it is described on his website or the improved version by Mnats?

I also found out that Hairball is out of stock.

Any other solutions?

Thank you

You can read this doc for rev info:
http://hairballaudio.com/docs/revisions.pdf

There are also panels and enclosures available in the "clearance" section.

Thank you !

The post is great. 1176 Rev B sounds great and also Rev D 1176LN.

Is there a way to have both into the same unit? switch from one to the other? or then build two !

Manu

Just finished...It worked right away without any issues, sounds really great.

Big thanks to Mnats, Hairball Audio, Ed Anderson and everybody on the forum, who made this project possible.

Danijel

Attachments

• 1176A slika 1.JPG
    1176A slika 1.JPG
    672 KB · Views: 108
Why is R71 not on the mouser list?

Now that everything is stuffed on the board, I've got the R71 missing.

Doesn't it need to be on the board?

Edit: Just found it that the kit seems to be for a front panel zero adjustment control.

Does the knob that comes with the hairball audio kit allow front panel zero adjustment control?

Mike

Back