[BUILD] 1176LN Rev D DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

Who aware of the following photos, Chassis Lug go pin 1, want to connect?

Chassis Lug go pin 1,It's rust line?

Attachments

• xlr_input_pin_one_to_chassis_ground.jpg
    xlr_input_pin_one_to_chassis_ground.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 18
Sorry about multiple posting but I managed to get signal through however it is at an incredibly small volume compared to the original. Even with both Input and output pots cranked. Is this a sign of a dodgey component? I have measured the voltage at R8 and it is 1.8.The middle Pin of Q2 measures 3.3V. is this a sign that C1 could be broken?

any help appreciated.

Some pics might be in order here tea. You're going to have to trace your signal from the input until it "dies" could be any number of things, but pics might help someone see something obvious.

Mr_tea said:
Sorry about multiple posting but I managed to get signal through however it is at an incredibly small volume compared to the original. Even with both Input and output pots cranked. Is this a sign of a dodgey component? I have measured the voltage at R8 and it is 1.8.The middle Pin of Q2 measures 3.3V. is this a sign that C1 could be broken?

any help appreciated.

Have you checked your unit against the "typical voltages" schematic on the rev D MNATs site yet?  Good place to start.

Mr_tea said:
Is this a sign of a dodgey component? I have measured the voltage at R8 and it is 1.8.The middle Pin of Q2 measures 3.3V. is this a sign that C1 could be broken?

signal_preamp_snippet.gif

A "broken" C1 would not affect the DC conditions of Q2. I assume when you say you "measured the voltage at R8" you mean you measured the voltage at the base of Q2. Be specific - if you make us look up the datasheet to find out what the "middle pin of Q2" is you probably won't get much help. But well done for trying though.

Any of the reasons listed on my FAQ page could be why the voltages are out around Q2 and why you aren't getting much signal but wiring would be the last thing I would check.

How do I wire the Hairball ratio board. Is this the way it hooks to the switch? Does anyone know the resistor layout R1-R10? I have read the doc on the Hairball site, searched here and still can't figure this out.

Attachments

• ratio.jpg
    ratio.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 13
Ok so after looking at this with a fresh start. I'm checking the voltages against the schematic and I've got the correct voltages up uintill to Q3. The voltage from the  Collector side of the transistor should be 12.58V. Instead I have 11.68V. the other voltages on the transistor are ok. Is this a close enough voltage or would I be best to replace the parts completely.

Thanks for everyones help. I'm learning so much by working my way through this.

kml23956 said:
I have that what I need is the resistor layout on the board. My board has no markings and the doc doesn't help.

Must be an older version. Mike posted an image of the ratio board including overlay to the Rev A thread.

Mr_tea said:
Ok so after looking at this with a fresh start. I'm checking the voltages against the schematic and I've got the correct voltages up uintill to Q3. The voltage from the  Collector side of the transistor should be 12.58V. Instead I have 11.68V. the other voltages on the transistor are ok. Is this a close enough voltage or would I be best to replace the parts completely.

Thanks for everyones help. I'm learning so much by working my way through this.

Are you saying that the voltages around Q2 corrected themselves? Have you stopped checking voltages at Q3 or did you check all the voltages on the schematic?

Have you made and used a signal tracer yet?

The voltages at Q2 were never actually wrong. I was using the multimeter in the wrong setting (Oops!). I've been checking the voltages against the schematic and it appears there's a problem around the collector side of Q3. As I said the collector isn't getting enough voltage.

Is the signal tracer just to measure continuity? because I have that setting on my multimeter and have been using that.

Cheers.

And yes I did stop checking the rest of the voltages. Wouldnt a incorrect voltage at Q3 make all other voltages incorrect?

Also here's a picture of the circuit. Is there any problems anyone can see with it?

Cheers

Attachments

• 1176 Circuit.jpg
    1176 Circuit.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 19
Someone can help me?

Xicon 286-240-RC , No to cargo storage,  Have same value resistors buy ?

In the picture below, Xicon 286-240-RC the location?

Attachments

• 286-240-RC.jpg
    286-240-RC.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 15
andydiy said:
Someone can help me?

Xicon 286-240-RC , No to cargo storage,  Have same value resistors buy ?

In the picture below, Xicon 286-240-RC the location?

On mnats site You have instructions and calculations for this resistor. Value depends on Your lamp from vu meter.

http://mnats.net/1176_reva-d_hairball_wiring_meter_lamp.html

The male output XLR, why will be the electricity cable, instead of shielded cable?

Attachments

• XLR w.jpg
    XLR w.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 17
andydiy said:
The male output XLR, why will be the electricity cable, instead of shielded cable?

Sorry for last post. Output goes directly from 5002 transformer. Those wires, what You marked are only from meter switch. I think that they don't have to be shielded, should completely not have any influence on a sound.

Back