[BUILD] 1176LN Rev D DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="mnats"]I've been working on a planned series of calibration videos for this project and have posted one on my Rev D page. Please have a look and give any comments at all.[/quote]

What a crackingly good video! Sounds very authoritative Mako, Kudos! Greg helped me source some of the parts I need for my Rev D and I collected them yesterday, looking forward to put it together!

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for the comments, guys. I've uploaded an new video after pondering the first one I posted - check the new one out if you get a chance:

http://www.geocities.com/m_natsume/1176_revision_d.html#videos

[quote author="matta"] Sounds very authoritative Mako, Kudos! [/quote]
Hopefully it is also correct!

I may post this in a new thread as I would like to get more feedback and don't want to restrict the viewing to those who are only building this project...

Look great to me; seem to cover and address different issues one might second guess or misunderstand.

Ok,

I have read EVERY single one of these pages in a 2 hours sitting...

I'm interested to know why on the REV D Meter Board there is an additional GND Pad next to PAD 22 that DOESN'T appear in the previous version of the 1176?

In the Wiring tutorials on Mako's page it shows that the SHIELD is NOT connected on the Meter and Ratio boards, ONLY on the MAIN BOARD side.

Has this changed with REV D is one SUPPOSED to now connect the GND pad to the GND next to PAD 22 on the Main Board AND the GND PAD on the Meter Board?

Also Mako, I've found an error on your REV D page in that in the listed Resistor set values the ID tags should read R42 & R43, your have 2 x R42's.

Also GREAT job on the 2nd Calibration video, very slick indeed!

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="matta"]I'm interested to know why on the REV D Meter Board there is an additional GND Pad next to PAD 22 that DOESN'T appear in the previous version of the 1176?[/quote]
Because the discrete meter circuit is different from the IC version. As noted under "Wiring Details" on my Rev D page:
[quote author="mnats"]Generally, wiring the Revision D is the same as wiring a rotary version of the G1176. One subtle difference is that the GR (Gain Reduction) meter setting doesn't ground one terminal of the VU meter in the discrete version as it does in the IC circuit and special rotary control PCBs have been designed with this in mind. Please refer to the original schematic if you have any doubt about the wiring.[/quote]
[quote author="matta"]In the Wiring tutorials on Mako's page it shows that the SHIELD is NOT connected on the Meter and Ratio boards, ONLY on the MAIN BOARD side.[/quote]
Those tutorials refer to the G1176-type Rev F and later version with the IC meter circuit. As noted in the quote above, the original schematic - easily downloadable - is your ultimate reference. The schematic was how I designed my boards and how I wired my prototype.

When I stole Jakob's rotary design for this version I had to adapt the idea to work with the Rev D. On the Rev F and later point 28 is also ground. With the A/B/C/D/E discrete meter circuit versions point 28 connects via R79 to the +30V supply - a slight difference!

Jakob's rotary switch incorporates the "GR Disable" (called "bypass" on the G1176 front panel), S9 on the schematic, instead of locating it on a hard-to-find 25k attack pot with SPDT switch. In order to use the meter switch as a gain reduction off switch, there has to be a reference to ground so I added it on the board. There is also a handy ground pad on the main board next to pad 22.

IIRC Jakob's meter board on the G1176 does something that doesn't appear on any of the original units. When in "bypass" the meter is shorted out. This might be beneficial for transporting the unit as it will keep the meter from banging around too much. My Rev D meter boards don't have this feature as I tried to keep it as faithful to the original schematic as possible.

[quote author="matta"]I've found an error on your REV D page in that in the listed Resistor set values the ID tags should read R42 & R43, your have 2 x R42's. [/quote]
Thank you - I've corrected it.

In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, I'm an "IDIOT!" Hah hah, how did I miss the BLEEDING obvious in your REV D page. I picked up the small resistor 'error' and somehow missed the VERY clearly instructed key piece of info RE the GR meter after reading 40+ pages of the REV D thread... I'm a dumbass.

It is however great of you to explain why you did it and it is cool to know.

I'm going to print out the schematic today to accompany my other documentation.... that will teach me not ask stupid questions.

Mako, thanks again for a GREAT project, very fun and exciting... almost done with wiring and then just waiting on the Group Buy T-Pads and Ed's tranos, then hopefully some funky cool compression.

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="matta"]...after reading 40+ pages of the REV D thread... [/quote]
I'm pretty sure there's no mention of the difference between the "D" and "F" ratio boards in this thread so you wouldn't have seen it anywhere but in that little snippet from my page (or the schematic). But I seem to recall more than once referring people back to either my Rev D page or the schematic before in this thread.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that try as I might I'll never make the page/videos/my posts obvious or clear enough for everyone to understand. Nor will it ever be completely obvious where to look to find the information you want, when you want it.

I'll keep trying though...and I appreciate the fact that you tried too before asking.

By the way if you do want to co-locate the GR disable with the attack knob like the original Mouser now has Alpha 25k pots with SPDT switches on them. I think the catalog says something about screwdriver adjust which might throw you off the track; I can confirm that they have a 1/4" shaft with about 8mm clear of the threads - the shaft is just slotted at the end. Mouser P/N 315-2415F-25K

[quote author="matta"]Mako, thanks again for a GREAT project, very fun and exciting... almost done with wiring and then just waiting on the Group Buy T-Pads and Ed's tranos, then hopefully some funky cool compression.[/quote]
I confess that I was never as excited about the sound of any of my earlier G1176-type builds - then I made the Rev D. I'm always reaching for this compressor now and have even started using it for the next calibration video's voice overs.

I owe a lot to Ed for encouragement and real, concrete help along the way as well others on this forum. Thanks, people.

Hey guys i'm ordering parts for my 1176 D and i was wondering if its okay to use a simple pot in place of the T pad since everyone seems to use the T pad?

Thanks.

Ok , this probably has to be THE most stupidest question....but I'll ask it anyhow......

Do you have to have the inputs and outputs or rather are the expensive transformer ins/outs there to make it sound better or are they needed to be able to use the thing :)

I've bought some Lundai (however you spell them) inputs, just having trouble getting the outputs.

I just wanted to be able to test that the main bits work before I bought the outputs.

Sorry for the terribly noobish questions, only ever built a phaser before so I'm new to all this. :oops:

I just missed the group buy of the T attenuator. Are there another one planned? And, does anyone know what the minimum order is from state?

[quote author="Criticalmass"]I take it my question above was too stupid to warrant an answer from someone :([/quote]

read read read all 40 pages

Xfmr use depends on which version of 1176 pcbs you have ,
the D ver needs specific output xfmrs , the gyraf & previous mnats
has some options on the i/o , without looking at the thread can't be more
specific at the moment

Hey Guys,

just wondering what voltage rating the 100uf electrolytics in this circuit are?

i read through the 42 page thread before asking here...

seems to be no mention in the schematic or bom on the mnats site.

I see that Mako's boards have 50v ones in there...

i'm just asking because i ordered 35v ones by accident...

thanks

thanks!

that was my next step - damm adobe viewer was crashing on my work computer...

will check it out at home

NOOB electronics question time.... I have a couple of mnats boards + mini PSU and I've finished stuffing them, getting onto the wiring stage now. But I want to make a nice tidy job and I am trying to identify some suitable crimps, connectors etc that will help, to put in the pin holes in the PCB to be able to attach/detach wires as necessary|? Any ideas?

I bought a couple of 5mm PCB terminal blocks at the weekend, only to find the pins were too wide @ 0.9mm. Any ideas?

Finally I need some spacers to go between the case and the PCB?.

Any ideas gratefully received... its driving me a bit nuts!! But I am getting close!

Thanks
Steve

Quick question about using the input transformer board with the Altran: if I'm reading the board correctly I need to link B to C, and E to F, yes? This would link pins 2 and 3 to the ground plane of the little board.

Thing is, I completely missed this on my first Rev D and it still seems to work fine.

Can't find a pinout for the C-3837-1 so I'm wondering what's happening here.

Cheers,
Paul

Latest posts

Back