[BUILD] All things RackNeve

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those building PYE boards. Please note the small change in the BOM: R73 is now 680R. This is to improve the input stage headroom.

Hi

I see that the RackNeve power supply philosophy is to put the voltage regulators in each module (not in the PSU) in order to avoid crosstalk. It is a great idea.
On the other hand, looking at the BOM for the 1290 preamp module, there is only one voltage regulator. I suppose that means that there is only one positive voltage rail powering the entire module. Is it right or I am missing something?

Best regards

Our philosophy is indeed to place regulator on the modules. This reduces the crosstalk and gives us more options with different supply voltages.

You are correct, 1290 is fed from +24V rail only, so it requires a single positive voltage regulator.

Electrobumps said:
I have other DIY projects that use DC-DC converters and I'm glad to say the Don Classic NV73 will not cause this potential problem you mention.  Great products on your website but posting misleading information like this to persuade people to your designs is truly against the spirit of the DIY world. 

Well, you seem to completely miss the word "sometimes". Wich is an important word.
I explained my reasoning behind using linear PSU and what is different in my modular system vs. other systems. I don't know why you think that mentioning potential noise problems with DC/DC converters is misleading.

Hi
Can anyone share the transformer(T3) info of the original PYE compressor blocking oscillator. The details of this transformer are provided in the build guide of rackneve.com
I would be willing to purchase the boards for this info, but they are out of stock.
Thanks, Tony

You can subscribe for updates for the boards you need. They may come in early, and the site will let you know as soon as they are available for the order.

You can subscribe for updates for the boards you need. They may come in early, and the site will let you know as soon as they are available for the order.
Hi llya
Do I install a jumper instead of R33 if I use the wire wound blocking transformer
Not sure what the asterisk refers to.
Thanks, Tony

Hi llya
Do I install a jumper instead of R33 if I use the wire wound blocking transformer
Thanks, Tony
You have C2 shown as 6.8uf TANT on your interactive BOM, and on your Bill of Materials you show C2 as 22uf TANT

Hi llya
Tony, R33 has an effect on the output transformer, not the blocking oscillator. If you're using Cinemag output transformer, you should replace R33 with a link. In an original circuit R33 formed a negative impedance transformer drive that canceled out harmonics of THAT PARTICULAR PYE transformer. Cinemag is a much better transformer and doesn't need that. It actually performs worse if R33 is installed.
What asterisk are you referring to?
You have C2 shown as 6.8uf TANT on your interactive BOM, and on your Bill of Materials you show C2 as 22uf TANT
C2 should be 22uF tantalum. If in doubt check with the reference schematic. I'll update the interactive BOM when possible, thanks for letting me know about that error.

Got the p.s. working, Need to drop the voltage before connecting to the PYE compressor.
My AC outlet voltage runs on the high side 120vac,, it's giving me 29vac at the secondary, instead of 24vac which gives me 39vdc at V1 output. 39vdc might burn out the Linear Voltage Regulator (LM337T). If someone can give me the approx current draw for one chan. of the PYE compressor I can calculate the proper value of R for a voltage drop.
If anyone has pictures of this PYE build showing how you mounted the output transformer I would appreciate if you would post them here. I will be posting pics of my progress on this as time goes on.

Attachments

• IMG_2102.jpg
    IMG_2102.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
39V is ok, LM337 is rated for 40V differential, so it will see only 21V across it. But it’s still a bit high. I’d start with a 100-150 mA estimated load.

I’m attaching a photo of transformer mounting that may be helpful to you. Basically, you mount the PSU board in slot 3, and transformer on a particle board upside down. You fix that board to a stand-offs in the 4th slot.

Attachments

• C45BB281-CB76-4F8B-A7EF-07851302992E.jpeg
    C45BB281-CB76-4F8B-A7EF-07851302992E.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 9E496F26-52F9-4713-AA90-503EDA8FF8B3.jpeg
    9E496F26-52F9-4713-AA90-503EDA8FF8B3.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 23
39V is ok, LM337 is rated for 40V differential, so it will see only 21V across it. But it’s still a bit high. I’d start with a 100-150 mA estimated load.

I’m attaching a photo of transformer mounting that may be helpful to you. Basically, you mount the PSU board in slot 3, and transformer on a particle board upside down. You fix that board to a stand-offs in the 4th slot.
Thanks llya
But I already mounted the power transformer see my attached pic, What I would like to see is how you mount the output transformer for the PYE

doesn't that interfere with the xlr inputs and outputs,
Looking closer it looks like the standoffs clear the xlr connectors, am I right?

Last edited:
What is the 16vdc molex connection next to T2 on the main board for?

Latest posts

Back