[BUILD] New FET/RACK Official Help Thread - Please read first post!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bjohnsonaudio said:
Hey Mike! I wish I did have my old build, but I do not.

You may want to check all the soldering on your Vselect PCB, Double check your transformer winding resistances and make sure the windings are not shorted to one another.  No of the windings should have continuity (when disconnected from the circuit.

Red-blue is one winding (100Ω ish can't remember)
Black-White is one winding (100Ω ish can't remember)
ORG-ORG (22Ω ish) with a Yellow center-tap in the secondary (11Ωish to either ORG)

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
You may want to check all the soldering on your Vselect PCB, Double check your transformer winding resistances and make sure the windings are not shorted to one another.  No of the windings should have continuity (when disconnected from the circuit.

ORG-ORG (22Ω ish) with a Yellow center-tap in the secondary (11Ωish to either ORG)

Mike

The windings are all correct, I have double checked my soldering on the Voltage Select Board and everything looks good. I can double check it again. I see that I am getting 120 AC Volts at the "Do".

Hairball Audio said:

Mike

I also touched up the solder joints (non of them looked bad) on the voltage select switch and I am still getting nothing. Checked the fuse and it's good.

???

bjohnsonaudio said:
I also touched up the solder joints (non of them looked bad) on the voltage select switch and I am still getting nothing. Checked the fuse and it's good.

???

Is it possible that the power transformer could be bad? It seems to be where the breakdown is happening?

bjohnsonaudio said:
Is it possible that the power transformer could be bad? It seems to be where the breakdown is happening?

Rare, but possible.

With the unit unplugged, check these resistances on the 7 pin transformer connector with it connected to the V Select PCB. You should be able to poke your probes into the ass end of the connectors.

White-Blue
Black-Red
White-Black
Blue-Red

What are you getting?

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
Rare, but possible.

With the unit unplugged, check these resistances on the 7 pin transformer connector with it connected to the V Select PCB. You should be able to poke your probes into the ass end of the connectors.

White-Blue
Black-Red
White-Black
Blue-Red

What are you getting?

Mike

white-blue - OL
Black-red - OL
white-black .3 ohm
blue-red .3 ohm

Hairball Audio said:
None of that is right.

What are your readings disconnected from the PCB...same readings...no power.

Mike

white to blue - OL
black to red - OL
white-black - 96.4 ohm
blue-red 114.7 ohm

Hairball Audio said:
Jesus, the guys are doing a bang up job assembling those.

Can you call the hairball phone? It's on the site, I can explain how to fix that.

Haha so now I am trying to calibrate my compressor and my needle is being strange. When trying to set the discrete meter circuit I couldn't get the needle to get to zero. I adjusted the null adjust and got it to work, but then I had the same issue when trying to set the reduction meter tracking.

Any thoughts?

bjohnsonaudio said:
Haha so now I am trying to calibrate my compressor and my needle is being strange. When trying to set the discrete meter circuit I couldn't get the needle to get to zero. I adjusted the null adjust and got it to work, but then I had the same issue when trying to set the reduction meter tracking.

Any thoughts?

Check through here:
http://www.hairballaudio.com/blog/resources/post/fetrack-troubleshooting-guide

Note your BROWN wire may read a few volts higher, that's fine.

Once you set you QBias, set all other trimmers (front zero, Null, Tracking) to the middle before starting cal.

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
Check through here:
http://www.hairballaudio.com/blog/resources/post/fetrack-troubleshooting-guide

Note your BROWN wire may read a few volts higher, that's fine.

Once you set you QBias, set all other trimmers (front zero, Null, Tracking) to the middle before starting cal.

Mike

Hey Mike, the weird ones is Brown I am getting 17 VAC and 16.9 VAC at the Output

TP1 was 98 mV AC and TP 17 is .94 VAC

Test point 15 looked fine.

bjohnsonaudio said:
Hey Mike, the weird ones is Brown I am getting 17 VAC and 16.9 VAC at the Output

TP1 was 98 mV AC and TP 17 is .94 VAC

Test point 15 looked fine.

Does everything work other than the meter? Compression? Signal?

Hairball Audio said:
Does everything work other than the meter? Compression? Signal?

Yeah it is reacting to me turning on and of GR (with attack). It's responding to the signal when I turn it on and off when GR is on. It also moves when I switch ratios.

I can set it up until I get to reduction meter tracking. I set my output and input and then the meter is acting funky.

bjohnsonaudio said:
Yeah it is reacting to me turning on and of GR (with attack). It's responding to the signal when I turn it on and off when GR is on. It also moves when I switch ratios.

I can set it up until I get to reduction meter tracking. I set my output and input and then the meter is acting funky.

How so? What is it doing?

Hairball Audio said:
How so? What is it doing?

When I try turning the screw when GR is off it will go to about half way between -3 and -1 GR and then pop back down the -20.

If I turn it all the way on it goes to -20 and no matter what I do to turn it it won't go anywhere.

Latest posts

Back