C800g/Warm audio Capacitor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have 3 c8000s in daily use for vocals. Top artists and producers. I use non-Sony tubes (still 6AU6) and maybe 1 in 10 tubes has sounds different enough for me to not use it. We let the clients audition two or three if they like and one is more popular, but not because of the tube.

Two mics also have power supplies with solid-state rectifiers, instead of 6au6 tubes. No sonic difference to me.

I've heard enough modded knockoff C800-Gs to conlcude, they're not worth it. The rare and extremely expensive tubes are a big factor in the sound/performance and each tube will you set you back far enough that you're better off selling it and buying a better mic instead.
I'm telling you this as someone who hoards original Sony C800-G tubes whenever I find them for our C800-G at the studio and I consider selling it sometimes based solely on the cost and hassle of finding them.
They were made by 1 factory in Ukraine owned by 2 brothers (according to my rep at Sony). 1 of the brothers died and the remaining brother closed up the business. The final run of C800-Gs were supposedly made possible because someone at Sony found a lost stock of tubes in one of their warehouses. They made a last limited run, saved enough for warranty repairs, then listed the remaining tubes for sale on their website. It was something ridiculously low like 13 tubes, if I remember correctly.
I got a phone call telling me they'd be posted on the Sony website in 30 minutes. I wasn't the only person who got a phone call because I refreshed the page over and over on my phone for half an hour and in that half a second free-for-all I was only able to get 1 tube for, I think, $500. Then, it was back to checking eBay over and over to pay as much as $1,200 per tube. Usually $1k each. The PSU uses reject tubes that weren't good enough to earn the part number for the mic itself but are good enough for the PSU. I've tried all the knockoffs and some mods of them, hoping to get lucky enough to find an alternative with readily available tubes that I could sell the Sony, buy a pair of, and have plenty funds left for other things around the studio, but none of them are anything like the real C800-G. A Manley reference will get you much closer than any of them.
The Sony C800-G is always smooth, never harsh, even when the source itself is a little harsh. Every vocal immediately sounds polished and compressed, making EQ/compression optional. It handles drastic sudden SPL changes, like going from a soft whisper immediately into belting out the next syllable like Mariah Carey, as smooth and without distortion as if it never happened (other than the volume difference, of course). Despite its total lack of harshness, its still somehow the brightest clearest most detailed mic there is. It destroys the Neumann U47 in that regard and falls short of it nowhere (U47 is still great for its distinct character though). I'd rank the Neumann M49 just below it followed by the Elam 251 and AKG C12. Its like if the C12 or 251 were upgraded in every way.
While I suspect someone here has the ability to replicate it right, it would cost a lot of money for them to do so, and even then that person would have to be someone who puts David Bock to shame... Possible but unlikely.
Pretty sure the Sony tube is just a 6J4P. (Russian long-body 6AU6.) Have you tried one of those?

Honestly, I think this whole story is bizarre; only because from my understanding, the tubes have never been all that rare/hard to find or costly (except maybe directly from Sony) at all in the past. Has this changed? It would be the first I’ve heard that it has.

Honestly, I think this whole story is bizarre
I agree with you. I smell a rat (specially from new members with 4 posts re-directing us to third party sites)

A friend/producer in London wanted me to change the valve on his. The life span is notoriously short on those suckers. He called a Sony distributor & got one spare valve & one to change. The rep explained the high cost, because the valves are tested for microphonics & noise (logic) the rest are rejects (PSU) 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 was good according to the rep. If I remember correctly.

But never a thing of £ 500/1000 or something like that. I think some one got scammed and others are about to be scammed. Beware the hype !

I have really good Telefunken 6AU6 and @thomasdf donated some more Mazda and Bellevu in good shape, to me recently. Thanks Thomas!😉

M

Back