Calibrating G1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.87 for V1 and .775 for V2 does get you a value of almost exactly 1 for DB though. Am I using the wrong equation?

Hi,

i have already done the Q-Bias Adjustment but am not shure if i have done this correctly after reading the original manual of UREI.
In the original manual they say Attack must be switched to off (which means Bypass mode, doesn't it).
But i don't have a Attack with a SPDT switch. Instead of that i used the bottom button of the meter board for this function (and put the Power-on/off at the back with a separate switch).

So how can i set the Meter to +4 when i must also Bypass the unit, because (as i know) i can only push one button of the board at the same time...

Also i have read sooo much different instructions about how to adjust the unit correctly and don't know which is the correct one.

I have done it the following way:

Q-Bias
1. Input/Output/Release/Attack Pot 12 o'clock setting
2. Meter set to +4, Ratio set to 20:1
3. Q-Bias set fully CCW
4. Fed the input with a 1000 Hz -18dbFS Signal, generated with a test tone generator freeware. Someone in this Forum told me that -18 dbFS is about 0 dbU. Is this correct? If not how can i generate a 0dbU test tone using my DAW?
5. Turned at the Q-bias CW until i got -19dbFS --> 1db drop

Meter-Zero:
1. No Input Signal
2. Turned at Zero-TrimPot until Meter reads 0dbV

Meter Tracking:
1. Started at -18 dbFS and decreased Gain until output gain is half of input gain --> 6db drop
2. Adjusted Meter Tracking TrimPot until it reads -6db
3. Readjusted Meter Zero / Meter Tracking a few times until everythingi s ok

It would be very nice if someone could confirm that this procedure is correct and/or can answer my remaining questions.
I know that there are many threads about this theme but i found so much different instructions that i don't know which to choose...

Greetings

Daniel

Hey Guys..

I calibrated my G1176 and It does compress like a charm! I find that everytime I move it, from 1 studio to another I have to re-zero the meter as it goes out alot. Then I re-zero it and it works cool again till I have to move it again... Is this perhaps why the original had the meter zero trimpot through the front panel of the 1176LN?

Thanks
Roger

hello!
i finished my dual 1176 rev j,
i'm now trying to calibrate it but:
when i calibrate the qbias then if i want the unit to keep the right level in my audio chain i have output knob at 12 and input at 8 o' clock :eek: (unit in bypass),

Latest posts

Back