Can you make a decent step up transformer for ribbon microphone from CFL light bulb toroidal core?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the toroidial one a bit too small? I would try, if anyting, the normal one.
It is an interesting question, but I have no idea...
yea but one for less windings - may be ok. I saw some BIGGER cores in photos of the OLDER Compact Flourescnet Lightbulbs though... gonna try to track some down...

yea but one for less windings - may be ok. I saw some BIGGER cores in photos of the OLDER Compact Flourescnet Lightbulbs though... gonna try to track some down...
Well, a ribbon microphone, or rather, the ribbon, is basically only one winding, isn't it? I fear that the ratio still won't be high enough, but to be honest, I have barely ever seen a ribbon mic from up close, so I'm really just guessing (please tell me if it gets too annoying! ;))

Thanks all - many step ups are made with 1/2" to 1" cores. Step up a-typical 1:35 ratio - dc. Here is an example or 2. One guy made this test 240:8 to make it 1:30 step up. All ideas welcome...b transformer.jpg

Yes you are right. Ferrite is hi hertz not good, need soft soft metal etc. (Although it may be fun to make one out of rust and epoxy that may be lower hertz just to try) I will have to look elsewhere. thx.

Back