CD loudness? How to get?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
normalizing is not compressing.  I use nero and it doesn't change the gain.  Are you doing a "cd copy" or burning audio files?

Regarding "normalize" , yes It's just a level change but one of the processes I really try to avoid because you are processing the 16bit resolution files. This have nothing with this topic but when serious mastering is important all editing including fades have to be done in 24bit. After dithering you just have to burn the CD with minimum possible CD errors  ;) If you want to re-burn the manufactured CD, "copy cd" is recommended because it doesn't change red book. It will be some sonic difference depending on CD media-Rom burner quality but no way that the overall level will be changed.
Cheers  :)

Also,

Different burners will definitely record at different levels. I have a super drive in my Mac and have songs in itunes that frankly sound like crap compared to burns I have done on my outboard Plextor drive, substantially louder, cleaner, better. Frankly I do not burn on the super drive anymore when doing a master copy. And yes itunes basically will make your mixes sound dead  and boring. Don't even bother with it. I am similrly unimpressed with the drive Mac used on the G5's it some sort of Hitachi and not a very good drive either.

You know, I was screwing around with a mix today and when I went to burn in I paged through all of Nero's options.  I found a pulldown menu for "CD Type".  One of the choices was "reference" and the default was something else. 

I chose "reference" and burned it. 

IT SOUNDS NORMAL!!!

I burned another one with the default and the volume is lower.  I don't know how or what the difference is but I can do what I need to do now.

Thanks for all your help folks!

Thats great!

Many programs have poor defaults like that. Our Logic metering has a default that uses 80% of the meter to show the last 17 db. -17  registers as the lowest 3 bars. (out of dozens) its labeled as exponential. sounds better than the "sectional" setting looks a lot closer to a normal meter but it is not the default. (I still hate the meters)

Latest posts

Back