Cheap power supply for AC701 tube microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's a vintage M49, you'll first of all need to replace the regulator for the heater voltage with a 3.3v one plus a diode (to get about the 4v a AC701k needs).

This week a Neumann M269 microphone came in.
The owner knew that the microphone worked, but he didn’t have a power supply for it.
So, if I could build a correct power supply for him…
Because it is a lot of work to create a single power supply, I investigated the possibilities to use a simple ‘Chinese’ power supply, like the ones used with the Apex 460 for example. Those power supplies can deliver +120V HT and ~6.7 V (7806 + diode) for the filament. The AC701 wants only 4 V, so this would need a modification. Since we don’t have something like a 7804 regulator, I used the well known LM317 in a pretty standard configuration. But with a little extra: a ‘slow start’ to hopefully extend the life of the filament in the (expensive!) AC701.
Because I wanted the circuit to be 100% safe, I also added a crowbar circuit.
In case the output voltage becomes higher than 4.1 V (adjustable), the thyristor is triggered and blows the fuse. I have build the circuit on a small PCB, that can easily be fitted inside the 460 power supply.
The original transformer delivers 9.5 Volts AC, this results in about 12 V after rectification and smoothing.
To reduce the dissipation in the LM317, I added a 47 ohm resistor where the 7806 regulator used to be. (Between input and output.)
This works fine. Filament current is only 100 mA and everything stays cool.
Here is the schematic:
I don't have the skills to do that on my own. But i was wondering if your circuit would work M49 with a AC701 Tube.

Don't get me wrong, you have to get your basics in place first, you don't want to burn your house down. I suggest building some kind of kit, or proven working project with existing support thread.

For a M49 with a 6S6B you can use a generic power supply.
There is no need for an extreme low noise filament voltage.
An 'ultra low noise regulator' would be overkill.

This would be a different situation for a KM56 or a U67 microphone (for example), where the grid bias is derived from the filament voltage.

For a M49 with a 6S6B you can use a generic power supply.
There is no need for an extreme low noise filament voltage.
An 'ultra low noise regulator' would be overkill.

This would be a different situation for a KM56 or a U67 microphone (for example), where the grid bias is derived from the filament voltage.
"You can use this one, 6s6b is obviously triode, but nothing is changed. You might want to adjust the plate/cathode resistor to get 1/2 of B+ at anode if necessary."

I understand
Would i have to lower the voltage of the power supply to +120V
I use a 56V zener and a 62V zener in series, that gives me a voltage close to +120 V. R4 seems to be the resistor of the plate and R3 seems to be the resistor of the cathode?

"You can use this one, 6s6b is obviously triode, but nothing is changed. You might want to adjust the plate/cathode resistor to get 1/2 of B+ at anode if necessary."

I understand
Would i have to lower the voltage of the power supply to +120V
I use a 56V zener and a 62V zener in series, that gives me a voltage close to +120 V. R4 seems to be the resistor of the plate and R3 seems to be the resistor of the cathode?
Exactly. You don't have to lower it, but 120v is "traditional" voltage used in these.

Latest posts

Back