China 'KM184'?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am tempted to buy one just to see what is inside. If it is anything like the chinese KMS105 all of the exterior and packaging are correct even stating made in Germany but internally the capsule has no resemblance to a real Neumann capsule. I will say that the fake KMS105s sound decent

I saw one faked km184,it was a standard cheap electret circuit inside,mic was very cheap like 50EUR incl postage. Maybe they have now "better" ones.

What I have seen from the pictures the PCB is pretty crowded with lots of SMD components.
As far as I have seen there is an oscillator for the polarisation voltage, so apparently the capsule is not an electret type.

Attachments

• 184_PCB.jpg
    184_PCB.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 2xKM184.JPG
    2xKM184.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 2
As far as I have seen there is an oscillator for the polarisation voltage, so apparently the capsule is not an electret type.
I wouldn't bet on that. Just bought couple of those mini U87's. There's a DC-DC converter board and an electret capsule inside.

In the meantime I have had the opportunity to test a friend's 'Chinese' KM184.
Good news and bad news.
The microphone capsules are decent, I don't hear any 'peaks' or 'dips'.
(I have not had the opportunity to take measurements.)
Annoyingly, the electronics have a very high noise level, making the microphone as delivered basically unusable.
A missed opportunity in my opinion, because isn't the microphone capsule the most critical part of a microphone?

In the meantime I have had the opportunity to test a friend's 'Chinese' KM184.
Good news and bad news.
The microphone capsules are decent, I don't hear any 'peaks' or 'dips'.
(I have not had the opportunity to take measurements.)
Annoyingly, the electronics have a very high noise level, making the microphone as delivered basically unusable.
A missed opportunity in my opinion, because isn't the microphone capsule the most critical part of a microphone?

Arguably, that's a good thing - the electronics are more easily improved / replaced than the capsules... Right?

What I have seen from the pictures the PCB is pretty crowded with lots of SMD components.

That looks remarkably identical (?) 😳

Hmmm...what are the chances that a Bv.107 would fit in there?
Near zero... :p (Very little space inside)
I offered my friend to replace the original PCB with a Schoeps circuit.
Capsule polarisation voltage from the original PCB is -52 V. (Yes: minus!)
With the Schoeps circuit I can get a little over 42 V, that is less than 2 dB difference in output.
And a LOT less noise!

With the Schoeps circuit I can get a little over 42 V, that is less than 2 dB difference in output.
And a LOT less noise!
Any chance you can snap couple of images of the capsule, rear preferably?

And a LOT less noise!
Are you sure it won't fit in, @RuudNL? AFAIK, the tube diameter of the KM184 is 22mm. Assuming the Chinese made a 1:1 clone, the fake one should have the same diameter. Most, if not all 22mm SDCs, e.g. the Takstars and MXL603S, fit the BV107 clones, such as the Cinemag CM-5722, AMI or ASTDS T8 and 3U GZT-84.

Spending €250 on a single KM184 clone is a bit too much for me, but I'd love to make a PCB for it with one of my improved KM84 style circuits: One is a KM84 circuit with RFI filter and the other is the same circuit, but biased at higher current for lower noise and with CMOS boost converter for higher sensitivity. Both 90% SMT.

If anyone can share the board dimensions, I'm willing to design the board.

Jan

Back