Cleaning a dynamic capsule with magnets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneRoomStudio

GDIY Supporter
I thought some folks here might be interested in this. I've cleaned/refurbished a number of D12e capsules in the past, but it has always been a little bit of a challenging process to remove all the magnetic material and get the diaphragm moving well. I have always thought that using a magnet would work wonders, but I was too scared to do so with such a nice (and increasingly rare) microphone.

While digging through my parts bin the other day, I came across an old dynamic capsule (I have no idea where it came from) that I always meant to try to clean up and use as a "character" mic. I wired it up as seen here:
IMG_1221.jpg
The first test didn't go so well. I had to max out the gain on my highest-gain preamp just to get this:

View attachment Mic Tests#36DynamicTest1.wav
I was going to give up until I remembered the magnet idea. This capsule is worth nothing, so it seemed like the perfect candidate. I took a strongly magnetized screwdriver and slowly worked the tip back and forth just above (~0.5mm) the surface of the diaphragm. I immediately noticed material building up on the tip of the screwdriver. After my initial test, here's where I was (much less gain was needed from the preamp this time):

View attachment Mic Tests#37DynamicTest2.wav
I did another pass, concentrating on the ring between the outside folded edges of the diaphragm and the center dome. This is where most of the magnetic material had built up. I followed that up with some gentle air from a camera lens cleaning bulb. While the frequency response is still narrow (as I expected from this capsule), the gain is now much closer to a modern dynamic capsule:

View attachment Mic Tests#38DynamicTest3.wav
I wish I could think of a safe way to do something similar with D12e capsules...but this is far too fiddly for now (one slip of the screwdriver tip could ruin the capsule permanently). Anyway...a successful experiment none the less.

Last edited:
The trick is to use a small tip screwdriver. The smaller it is, the weaker the pull and thus safer. The iron particles have to be picked individually. Not safe, but needs practise. Again, I need to remind, that the particles gathered around the dome have been pulled down for decades and the diaphragm has been deformed concave in most cases, often one side more than the other causing the coil rub. Removing those particles will not make the D12 sound ok, but much more is needed in most cases.

I had good luck cleaning membranes (only moving coil mics) with sticky tape. There's the milky-white tape from 3M that has no smearing glue to it, but a rather clean sticky coating and i used it on many occasions to remove dust, dirt, hair and magnetic particles from membranes. With double-sided sticky tape which i fixed on half a matchstick i even got lucky on mics that have a resonator cap on top of the membrane, getting in sideways. I always use a biiiig magnifiying lens while doing this.

Curious - Suppose I used a very strong neodymium magnet kept some distance away from the diaphragm with a frame or spacer of some kind to keep the cartridge from clanging into the magnet. I might also use a very soft camel hair brush and Mr. OneRoomStudio's lens bulb blower to assist the magnet in removing particles from the cartridge. Or would that be too dangerous, perhaps too much magnetism? I would hate to deform the diaphragm by drawing it too far out.

Also, is there any way to clean UNDER the diaphragm? (suspecting this is asking far too much!)

Intriguing discussion. As alwyas I am merely asking - NOT recommending! / James

Curious - Suppose I used a very strong neodymium magnet kept some distance away from the diaphragm with a frame or spacer of some kind to keep the cartridge from clanging into the magnet. I might also use a very soft camel hair brush and Mr. OneRoomStudio's lens bulb blower to assist the magnet in removing particles from the cartridge. Or would that be too dangerous, perhaps too much magnetism? I would hate to deform the diaphragm by drawing it too far out.

Also, is there any way to clean UNDER the diaphragm? (suspecting this is asking far too much!)

Intriguing discussion. As alwyas I am merely asking - NOT recommending! / James
Just what I was thinking while reading the first post.

I doubt there's a danger in the magnet pulling on the diaphragm; most (if not all) mic voice coils are copper wire wound around a paper, plastic or aluminum former - so not magnetic.

Would it make sense to use a piece of steel wire as a very narrow polepiece to narrow the magnetic field around the grain of junk in question.

Maybe put a transparent straw around that point, to keep the diaphragm from moving, and then lower the magnet/wire into the straw until it picks up the grain?

Would it make sense to use a piece of steel wire as a very narrow polepiece to narrow the magnetic field around the grain of junk in question.

Maybe put a transparent straw around that point, to keep the diaphragm from moving, and then lower the magnet/wire into the straw until it picks up the grain?

I would think some sort of non-magnetic cover going close-enough over the diaphragm, but solid enough to not buckle under the pull of a stronger magnet, would be useful..? The stronger external magnet would pull the crap off the diaphragm, but the "cover" would also make it easy to throw away the removed debris.

I have used tape to clean metal filings. I´m just too scared to put something magnetic near that will be attracted to the membrane and destroy it.

I would think some sort of non-magnetic cover going close-enough over the diaphragm, but solid enough to not buckle under the pull of a stronger magnet, would be useful..? The stronger external magnet would pull the crap off the diaphragm, but the "cover" would also make it easy to throw away the removed debris.

Perhaps some kind of plastic mesh like you see on a fly swatter?

Along these lines, I had the thought to glue a magnet to the top of a plastic soda bottle cap, so that the "rim" of the cap created a spacer over the capsule. An ideal part would be the same diameter as the capsule so you could place it down on the "frame" of the capsule and have just enough space so that the inside of the cap doesn't touch the diaphragm. I agree with @Khron - no need to let the particles through to the magnet. They can just collect on the inside of the cap to be cleaned out after.

Why necessarily through? :)

Perhaps we are visualising different things. I’m thinking of placing a magnetised screwdriver (say), close enough to the diaphragm in order to attract loose magnetic particles to it but at risk of damaging the diaphragm, so placing something between them to prevent it from touching the diaphragm. If that thing was a) non-ferrous and b) had holes in to let the particles through, it would make a good protector, no?

EDIT: I just saw what you meant. The particles could just stick to the bottom of the plastic thing and be drawn away with it. I guess that works too.

Along these lines, I had the thought to glue a magnet to the top of a plastic soda bottle cap, so that the "rim" of the cap created a spacer over the capsule. An ideal part would be the same diameter as the capsule so you could place it down on the "frame" of the capsule and have just enough space so that the inside of the cap doesn't touch the diaphragm. I agree with @Khron - no need to let the particles through to the magnet. They can just collect on the inside of the cap to be cleaned out after.

Something like this maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
I would think some sort of non-magnetic cover going close-enough over the diaphragm, but solid enough to not buckle under the pull of a stronger magnet, would be useful..?

Yep. Of course, I am less worried about diaphragm, itself, as it may not be metallized or magnetic. I am more concerned a stronger external magnet might pull together with any magnetic material inside the cartridge, or with the cartridge case, and slam into the magnet, damaging the diaphragm in the process. Could it distort and damage the voice coil in some way?

I am also concerned about possible polarization issues between a strong external magnet and an internal magnet in the cartridge, you know, attracting versus repelling, and other issues spring to mind in addition to the relative strength of multiple interacting magnetic fields.

So, just to be super safe and transparent, I provide my Standard Disclaimer, below . . . . which means you are truly on your own, brother! :)

Happy trails to all - interesting topic for sure! James

No guaranty or warranty of any kind, implicit, explicit, entailed, suggested, hinted, express or implied, or otherwise is given, made or other wise included, including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change without notice. Although robust enough for general use, adventures into the esoteric periphery may reveal unexpected quirks. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental, including, but not limited to the author hereof. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. Do not disturb. No animals were harmed during the making of any messages or other activities. Some equipment shown is optional. This product or document is meant for educational purposes only. Slippery when wet. For office use only. List each check separately by bank number. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. If condition persists, consult your physician. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing, who knows whether it is correct today. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Nap was here. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free number before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. If the flow controls supplied are not installed, this unit will not operate properly. Keep out of reach of children. When this set is used with other equipment, if the picture is not stable or the buzz sound is heard, try to change the mutual position of relevant equipment or take enough distance between them. This unit not labeled for retail sale. Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine. Close cover before striking. Mind the gap. No merchantability expressed or implied. Parental discretion is advised. Sold as a novelty item only. Not available in stores. May cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added. Not designed or intended for use in on-line control of aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility. Container may explode if heated. May contain traces of various nuts and seeds. EchoLink is a registered trademark of Synergenics, LLC. APRS is a registered trademark of WB4APR. Your mileage may vary. This supersedes all previous notices. You are, obviously, on your own, brother!

Can you polarize the probe so that it repels the magnet in the capsule, rather than attracting it? I’m thinking of a steel wire attached to whichever end of a bar magnet is appropriate.

I guess you could polarize the coil oppositely to the fixed magnet, with a little DC current, so that it pushes the diaphragm forward a bit and more or less cancels the field of the fixed magnet. That would reduce the tendency to pull the probe into the diaphragm, and give you a bit more slack in case you do push on the diaphragm a little bit.

Last edited:
As long as you prevent the magnet you're using from being drawn into the capsule by using a spacer device (like the bottle cap below), then you shouldn't risk damaging anything. In fact, putting a strong magnet of the opposite polarity close to the mic magnet would theoretically make it stronger too (bonus).
1724272112926.png

Back