Clipping Comverters During Mastering

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my Prism AD2 went down I had to use the Lavry Blue AD until it was fixed. I use a pair of Blue DA's to feed the analog chain and cut lacquers from. I like the DA's better than the AD. The Prism DA2 is the Monitor DAC. I was really happy to get the AD2 back...

The Lavry converters have 4 levels of soft saturation that many find quite pleasing.
If that is the "clipping" being discussed, it can be pretty good.
Otherwise, barbaric is pretty close

In my day when we made up digital masters , a digital 'over' meant you re-cued the tape and had another cut off the transfer , mix or what ever it was ,
nothing ever left the studio with a digital over ,

The kids nowadays , there immune to distortion ,so in the level wars ,standards have been allowed to slip ,
This idea that digital over is a form of level control akin to hitting an analog signal path hard , that the recording is allowed hit above 0dbfs ,who thought these people there trade FFS ?
I note the phrase people are intentionally using digital overload , intentionally misusing it, without a clue seems more appropriate .

So then the high end designers starts figure out the misuse and incorporates about 5 cents worth of components to implement a soft clip , for the high end customers who dont have a clue what their doing ,

Ive a simple rule of thumb for digital recording , if you start getting near 0db FS, back off the level FFS ,never ever intentionally clip the signal in the digital realm ,

Its no wonder modern pop music sounds like shit if turns the transients into a crap shoot.
The youth of today no no limit to tollerable distortion ,

Theres a quote somewhere back in time ,attributed to the BBC sound studios ,
words to this effect ,
the job of the engineer is to prevent distortions from the equipment becoming objectionable .

In my day when we made up digital masters , a digital 'over' meant you re-cued the tape and had another cut off the transfer , mix or what ever it was ,
nothing ever left the studio with a digital over ,

The kids nowadays , there immune to distortion ,so in the level wars ,standards have been allowed to slip ,
This idea that digital over is a form of level control akin to hitting an analog signal path hard , that the recording is allowed hit above 0dbfs ,who thought these people there trade FFS ?
I note the phrase people are intentionally using digital overload , intentionally misusing it, without a clue seems more appropriate .

So then the high end designers starts figure out the misuse and incorporates about 5 cents worth of components to implement a soft clip , for the high end customers who dont have a clue what their doing ,

Ive a simple rule of thumb for digital recording , if you start getting near 0db FS, back off the level FFS ,never ever intentionally clip the signal in the digital realm ,

Its no wonder modern pop music sounds like shit if turns the transients into a crap shoot.
The youth of today no no limit to tollerable distortion ,

Theres a quote somewhere back in time ,attributed to the BBC sound studios ,
words to this effect ,
the job of the engineer is to prevent distortions from the equipment becoming objectionable .
modern a/d technology is much more forgiving of saturation... early digital convertors didn't clip, at overflow they would roll over to zero again.

Try to imagine a full scale click/thump (no bueno). 🤔

JR

Back