Mastering Lab LA2As Cap Input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarTrucker

GDIY Supporter
A pair of LA2As from the mastering lab in LA recently went up for sale here:

https://retrogearshop.com/products/teletronix-la-2a-modded-pair-mastering-lab-vintage
The description says :
" Functionally they have no input or output transformers, decoupled with a capacitor to maintain correct impedance."

How is this done? In the pictures it looks like there's a resistor across the input xlr (600ohm?) and then another one from the input to chassis. The other unit is a little different. Is this a way of unbalancing the input and matching impedance and then adding a capacitor to block any DC coming in or out like you would use between amp stages? Why would you do this instead of a transformer?

La2a without audio transformers and optical attenuator is no longer La2a.
And the price is an interesting 50k$, I guess because of "include custom made with 24k gold anodized faceplates and blue LEDs". And then someone makes fun of audiophiles and gold fuses...

These were part of a 'mastering console'. They weren't meant to interface with the outside world. The price is wishful thinking. They are basically unusable as is. That's the problem with heavily modified equipment. Only the people who changed it know all the quirks.

The T4B socket is wired and they modified the sidechain with different tubes.

I doubt these were meant to be used without T4B, or perhaps they decided to use them as line amps later on.

The broker claim saying they work as FET limiters limiting the peaks is quite suspicious, where is the gain reduction element ?
I think they are just selling a tube saturation box.

Anyway the price is insane for something so poorly constructed and with old components

One of the two units doesn't even look like an original LA-2a chassis

Latest posts

Back