Condenser Microphone noise - MXL V77S, V67, 2003, 603S

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12Bass

Hey Everyone,

Some months (years?) ago I attempted to modify my MXL V77S, V67G, 603S, and 2003.  Unfortunately, after modification, all of the mics except the 603S exhibited noise problems.  Just tonight I cleaned the PCBs on the V77S, V67G, and MXL 2003, and I think that flux removal may have helped with the noise. 

I have a few questions:   

The V77S seems to be working properly, sounds clear, and has reasonable self-noise.  When I get right on the grill, the noise increases and sounds a bit like the ocean with some lumpiness, then goes away after a few seconds.  I'm wondering if this is just moisture from my breath causing condensation on the diaphragm?  Is this normal behavior for a condenser mic?  If so, then it's probably okay, and I just need to be mindful about technique.  This mic is basically stock, except for a new 6072A/12AY7 EH.  I think that the new tube might have smoothed the somewhat edgy top end. 

The V67G has much less gain, sounds warmer, but muffled, in comparison, and has high self-noise, much higher than the V77S or MXL 2003.  With the other two mics, most of the noise I hear is noise in the room.  With the V67G, most of the noise is coming from the mic itself.  Additionally, the background noise seems to be somewhat variable and "thumpy", especially when reacting to plosives during close-miking.  It's been a long time, so I don't remember what this mic was like when it was new.  At least two capacitors have been changed, most notably the capsule capacitor, which is now a 0.001 μF polypropylene.  As it is, it has low output and is dark and noisy.  Any ideas what might be the problem? 

The MXL 2003 is a bit of a puzzle.  I just cleaned the PCB, reinstalled the diaphragm, and put it back together.  It was making a lot of background noise before, especially after plosives, but seems okay now.  It does seem to "bottom out" and disappear for a while if you get too close; in this regard, it is more sensitive than my other mics, save the MXL 603S which is extremely sensitive to air pressure.  Most reports claim that this microphone is really bright, but I don't find it that bright compared with the V77S.  Hard to say which is less colored.  Perhaps the V77S is a bit warmer/richer/fuller in the lows, though it still has clarity on top.  The 2003 sounds like it has a bit more upper midrange.

Given the low signal levels and high impedances involved, is PCB flux a serious problem with condenser microphones?  Is the sensitivity to breath/plosives and resultant "ocean" noise normal for these mics?  What about residue on the diaphragm?  Something that can/should be cleaned?

Thanks!!!     

The fading away after a plosive and reaction to plosives in general sounds like a moist capsule, hopefully it's not dirty from cigarette smoke, and hopefully you've been using a filter with the mics for vocals. The smallest bits of junk in saliva can cause the diaphragm and backplate to get micro bits of junk stuck between them, resulting in a collapse of this capacitor (the capsule).

Try drying the mics. Hang one right behind the exhaust of a computer psu for several days, or put a mic in a ziploc bag with several bags of fresh silica gels for a few days and see if that does it. Evacuate as much air from the bag as possible before you close it up!

If you are new to changing parts in a microphone it helps to do one thing at a time.  Change one part and test that way you know what was done and what might need to be undone.

You should read all of the threads about microphones here you might find the answers.  In the lab section find the meta sticky

Thanks for the help!  

No smoking around the mics.  I'll try drying them out and see if it makes a difference.  Probably got in over my head with these modifications.  Next time I'll do more reading before getting out the soldering iron!

Hey one thing is that poly caps (especially the little guys right at the capsule) can be heat sensitive. I've toasted a few when soldering. Best to heatsink the leads and be quick about it....

Latest posts

Back