COVID-19

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JohnRoberts said:
No bueno....  We need to keep the health care workers healthy... or this goes from bad to even worse.

That's really important and should be one of the top priorities also.

Italy and Spain at the moment they are not only dealing with the Collapse of Hospitals and equipment  limit but they are also facing a lot of health workers getting infected.

In some Hospitals here in Portugal they run out of masks (stock run out from the distributors,  a serious risk for medical staff.
A plane was sent today to China to bring 30 tons of medical supplies.
But there are already some infected doctors and nurses.

fazer said:
It’s a hard one but being 69 with some respiratory problems,  makes me want to keep her isolated for my wife and I .

It's a hard decision emotionally but it's the right thing to do.

I'm in isolation for 12 days now, my father is 73 with diabetes, my mother is 65.
It breaks their heart but I haven't been with them for the last 10 days, I explain them and they are sad but understand, in the end they know I'm doing the best for them. I don't have any symptoms, but I was teaching and going out socially before the country shut down so I prefer not to risk being possibly infect them.

It was hard to convince my father of the Danger.
Portugal is a chilled out country people are not used to live with danger, no wars for a long time, no big natural disasters, no deadly poison animals, low crime rates, so it's hard to explain to my parents now that they are retired that they can't go out of their houses, but they finally got it, they're sad but got it.

All my friends are also doing the same, trying to keep presential contact to the parents (above 60 years old) as minimum as possible or none at all, our biggest fear is to loose them so we do the best to protect them.

ruffrecords said:
I 100% get where you are coming from. I am 69 with asthma and my daughter is a teaching assistant so at the moment she is classed as an essential worker here in the UK so she will be exposed. We are waiting to hear if we are among the 1.5 million vulnerable people who will be expected to isolate for 12 weeks. At least the government will provide food and drug parcels to keep us going.

Cheers

Ian

The schools in UK should have been closed down 1 or 2 weeks ago, unfortunately and  incomprehensibly the UK is taking measure much later than the rest of Europe, that's really not good news.

You should keep contact to your daughter only by phone and video calls and cut the presencial contact for the next months.
With 69 and asthma you are in the risk group, people can still communicate anyway, I talk to my parents everyday but you should play as safe as possible for the next months.
Your daughter will understand.

Wish you all the best Ian, please follow the general recommended procedures  and stay safe

kambo said:
12 weeks is a long time to be isolated. that sucks, stay safe and  good luck!

here the Prime Minister announced some days ago that they expect the Peak in April , and only after June they estimate things can start to go back to normal.

So we are already at home for 12 days,
so around June checks with the 12 weeks.

ruffrecords said:
Boris made a special announcement at 8.30pm tonight. He basically said from now on everyone must stay at home. You are only allowed out for a small number of purposes

Unfortunately he didn't do the best to protect the people in the UK, he's 2 weeks late.
Even last week and in the last days a lot of people in the UK are not taking this seriously, and that comes from above, comes from bad leadership and not acting when you should.

Even after the horrible weekend in Italy when Hospitals collapsed...
That was 14/15 of March, it took him 9 days...

France has some very very good results on recovery with mixture of existing drugs!
one step better! its coming along fast!

Were getting daily briefings here in Ireland too  and the promises of more tests are being repeated over and over again with the deadline for their arrival being pushed out further and further. Theres something like 40,000 people waiting on a test at this stage. Bigger countries with bigger buying power seem to be getting priority. Were upto 836 confirmed cases now, 6 deaths and something around a 20-30 % increase in cases per day . 

Whoops said:
Unfortunately he didn't do the best to protect the people in the UK, he's 2 weeks late.
Even last week and in the last days a lot of people in the UK are not taking this seriously, and that comes from above, comes from bad leadership and not acting when you should.

Even after the horrible weekend in Italy when Hospitals collapsed...
That was 14/15 of March, it took him 9 days...

You may be right but you have to rememeber this is Great Britain where personal freedom is always at the top of the agenda. As a result Boris was very reluctant to impose measures. I think Boris had hoped the British public would react much more sensibly than it did to the recommendations on social distancing. It is a tough line to tread. If he had gone straight in with confining everyone to barracks and shutting everything down there is a good chance there would have been riots. I am not saying he got it right but I do not think anyone else would have done much better. I blame 40 years of left wing influence in schools which has bred a new generation that expects to be able to do as it pleases without consequences.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
You may be right but you have to rememeber this is Great Britain where personal freedom is always at the top of the agenda. As a result Boris was very reluctant to impose measures. I think Boris had hoped the British public would react much more sensibly than it did to the recommendations on social distancing. It is a tough line to tread. If he had gone straight in with confining everyone to barracks and shutting everything down there is a good chance there would have been riots. I am not saying he got it right but I do not think anyone else would have done much better. I blame 40 years of left wing influence in schools which has bred a selfish new generation that expects to be able to do as it pleases without consequences.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I blame 40 years of left wing influence in schools which has bred a new generation that expects to be able to do as it pleases without consequences.
You mean like "There´s no such thing as society"? :eek: ;)

https://globalnews.ca/news/6713438/canada-coronavirus-self-isolation-fines-arrests/

Found this interesting Article about Canada now taking the threat of spreading infection VERY seriously. Arrests and a very soft "Marshall Law" has been implemented.

Hope everyone is keeping their spirits up.

scott2000 said:
Are those the people that ate aquarium cleaner???

oh..yeah same people....

I don't understand why the focus of these articles are not to warn people about taking drugs without prescriptions...

Here's a good one for you....any takers??

https://consumer.healthday.com/cancer-information-5/leukemia-cancer-news-99/using-poison-to-treat-cancer-512218.html
What do people think chemotherapy is? Poison the cancer just short of killing the patient. I recall hearing about people traveling to Mexico to source arsenic for DIY cancer therapy.

Do not self medicate based on President Trump's public utterances. He is hyperbolically optimistic about potential remedies. The same idiots hoarding toilet paper are buying up anti-malaria drugs, and taking them without doctors advice. There are numerous positive anecdotal reports about the antimalarials reducing viral load and they are currently being tested for this use. Many besides President Trump are optimistic about this. 

JR

Rump has outdid himself this time. He just said this:

"Easter is a very special day for me. And I see it. It's sort of in that timeline that I thinking about. And I say wouldn't it be great to have all of the churches full ... So I think Easter Sunday - and you'll have packed churches all over our country. I think it would be a beautiful time. And it's just about the timeline that I think is right."

Easter Sunday is April 12 which is in 20 days.

squarewave said:
Rump has outdid himself this time. He just said this:

"Easter is a very special day for me. And I see it. It's sort of in that timeline that I thinking about. And I say wouldn't it be great to have all of the churches full ... So I think Easter Sunday - and you'll have packed churches all over our country. I think it would be a beautiful time. And it's just about the timeline that I think is right."

Easter Sunday is April 12 which is in 20 days.
Incidentally this is a great example for illustrating the Group A/B system.

If you are in Group A, you could go to church on Easter Sunday. And, because you would be "packed" in with other Group A individuals, which by definition includes actively infected people, there would be a very high probability that you would be infected. But, and this is the important part, Group A individuals are low risk for requiring medical treatment and therefore, even though they get infected, should not contribute to overloading the medical system. Of course if the hospitals in your area are at capacity, it would be reckless to take a chance. But technically, it would be up to the individual to decide if they want to risk it. Presumably it would only be people who basically just don't care about getting it (under 20 y/o for example).

If you are in Group B however, you would DEFINITELY NOT go to church on Easter or any other day because, as a high risk individual, that would literally be like suicide.

Madrid is reporting that it has now re-purposed an ice skating rink for morgue “overflow”.  I do not understand how this is occurring and we think we’ll be open for business and filling churches on Easter, seeing as scientists estimate that we are 2 weeks “behind” Italy.  I work steadily in the live entertainment industry and my “slated” events are cancelled all the way though early July. Somebody’s not using their noggin... I’m not worried for my health/safety and it’s clear many are not worried for the health/safety of others with compromising health issues. I can be very callous at times, so, let the experiment begin.

Italy has is now fining people the equivalent of $3225 when they go outdoors in an unwarranted manner and the death rate remains constant . Maybe their churches will be open for Easter.

iturnknobs said:
Madrid is reporting that it has now re-purposed an ice skating rink for morgue “overflow”.  I do not understand how this is occurring and we think we’ll be open for business and filling churches on Easter, seeing as scientists estimate that we are 2 weeks “behind” Italy.

Spanish were out on the street socializing, eating tapas and drinking beer 2 weeks ago (they had already 5000 official infected at that point), and now the Hospitals collapsed and in the last 24h 650 people died.

We had a concert in Spain on the 14th of March, by that time the Portuguese Government had already tell people to stay at home, the organizers in Spain were not canceling the concert, so our agent had to call the organizers saying that we couldn't perform or travel there because of the high risk of Covid infections.
The spanish organizers got angry with our Agent, calling her crazy, and maniac and saying that everything was fine in Spain, my spanish friends also told me the same.
The Festival was eventually canceled and on the 16th of March the Spanish Government implemented the lockdown, it was already too late.

So unfortunately Rump is completely crazy,
you will not be open for business and filling churches on Easter.
This is just the beginning in the US the worst is still to come, "the taking it light approach" on leadership  or trying to "undermine the reality in public appearances"  will not work here it's a receipt for disaster.

Whoops-
I worked an event March 11th with 1500 people in attendance(should have been 2200, but people were starting to worry over here). The next day, large gatherings were banned. I'm essentially in Chicago. Hopefully we clamped down early enough, but it doesn't look good in NYC. Thanks for sharing your personal experience/info/opinions seeing as your subset of society is further along in the progression of this pandemic. Too bad there are many over here being blinded by current info being provided by a fool who is not a scientist and can't even(refuses to) see what is going on elsewhere. We live in different places. Our physiology is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back