COVID-19

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A jumping off point that I found useful from an Economist that I follow

“Herd immunity,” time consistency, and the epidemic yoyo - Tyler Cowen

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2020/03/herd-immunity-time-consistency-and-the-epidemic-yoyo.html

dogears said:
Guess not.  Can’t do anything but mea culpa and apologize.  ;D

It's a fast moving stream of complicated and incomplete information, all of us will make wrong assumptions while we try to make sense of this.

As a community of people bright enough to wrangle electrons I hope we can help each other understand what's happening.

As typical in this country NYC is getting the lion's share of coverage but the situation in New Orleans is becoming very bad.  :(

I listened to a canadian girl(early twenties) that survived it. She was saying she got a bad cough...then a fever. The cough was persistent as though she continually needed to clear her lungs...after that, she got better and it went away.

Wishing everyone to stay safe, wash hands, etc. Pretty quiet here in central Canada.

dogears said:
As typical in this country NYC is getting the lion's share of coverage but the situation in New Orleans is becoming very bad.  :(
Mardi gras was an obvious risk to spread the virus, and I think one person got run over by a parade float this year.  Several deaths were in a retirement community down there so following the expected pattern of being more dangerous for older people.

Increased testing will reveal more cases everywhere, but we are still in the process of ramping up capacity around the country, and limited test capability is rationed favoring higher risk areas.

Unlike other NBA teams the NO Pelicans have not been tested yet. Orleans parish has two drive thru test sites performing something like 250 tests per day.

Where I live (MS) they have tested around 1,300 people total with one confirmed death.

NY state is ramping up testing to around 6,000 a day within the week.

JR

Doc in New Orleans from my alumni network intubated 4 pts today in ER, 3 others came in with it and didn't make it. He saw 18 total in his shift, their ER is probably at 90 per day right now. Very few are being tested.

The wild thing is he said when x-raying a shoulder dislocation with no symptoms he found bilateral pneumonia.  Guy comes in from a car wreck with chest and stomach pain, no respiratory symptoms. Bilateral pneumonia.

He said they're out of vents, out of PPE.  :(

dogears said:
Doc in New Orleans from my alumni network intubated 4 pts today in ER, 3 others came in with it and didn't make it. He saw 18 total in his shift, their ER is probably at 90 per day right now. Very few are being tested.

The wild thing is he said when x-raying a shoulder dislocation with no symptoms he found bilateral pneumonia.  Guy comes in from a car wreck with chest and stomach pain, no respiratory symptoms. Bilateral pneumonia.

He said they're out of vents, out of PPE.  :(
No bueno....  We need to keep the health care workers healthy... or this goes from bad to even worse.

Nawlins is poor and likes to party... slow to react to virus warnings but they finally shut down bourbon street...

They are starting to ramp up testing but little and late.. only hundreds a day.

Hopefully the new faster tests under development can help there, and everywhere.

JR

Bloomberg report Trump weighing isolation vs economy desolation.  It’s a losing proposition either way.  But has that Group A decision in its sight. 

I’m talking to my daughter about paying her wages to stay home .  She does talking books for the blind.  Is an engineer monitor and works with voice talent.    Not lots of people but still exposed to different groups.  It’s a hard one but being 69 with some respiratory problems,  makes me want to keep her isolated for my wife and I . 

fazer said:
Bloomberg report Trump weighing isolation vs economy desolation.  It’s a losing proposition either way.  But has that Group A decision in its sight. 

I’m talking to my daughter about paying her wages to stay home .  She does talking books for the blind.  Is an engineer monitor and works with voice talent.    Not lots of people but still exposed to different groups.  It’s a hard one but being 69 with some respiratory problems,  makes me want to keep her isolated for my wife and I .

I 100% get where you are coming from. I am 69 with asthma and my daughter is a teaching assistant so at the moment she is classed as an essential worker here in the UK so she will be exposed. We are waiting to hear if we are among the 1.5 million vulnerable people who will be expected to isolate for 12 weeks. At least the government will provide food and drug parcels to keep us going.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
We are waiting to hear if we are among the 1.5 million vulnerable people who will be expected to isolate for 12 weeks.

Cheers

Ian

12 weeks is a long time to be isolated. that sucks, stay safe and  good luck!

Latest update from the Doctor I recommended earlier. He has a staff of 14 working to aggregate data, use their direct contacts and understand what is happening.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-Fb9UDgpu5/?igshid=1nc5xyho4pg7r

ruffrecords said:
I 100% get where you are coming from. I am 69 with asthma and my daughter is a teaching assistant so at the moment she is classed as an essential worker here in the UK so she will be exposed. We are waiting to hear if we are among the 1.5 million vulnerable people who will be expected to isolate for 12 weeks. At least the government will provide food and drug parcels to keep us going.

Cheers

Ian

Absolutely vote yourself onto that island regardless. We won’t see my mother in law for many months. It’s just not worth the risk.

ruairioflaherty said:
Absolutely vote yourself onto that island regardless. We won’t see my mother in law for many months. It’s just not worth the risk.

Boris made a special announcement at 8.30pm tonight. He basically said from now on everyone must stay at home. You are only allowed out for a small number of purposes:

1. To buy essential food
2. For a medical reason
3. To go to/from work but only if absolutely necessary
4. To exercise

No gatherings of more than two people are allowed (a la Germany)

Keep safe and stay in

Cheers

Ian

The panic is beginning. This Fox news broadcast is telling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOQvVYw2Fc4

Panic is no good adviser.

Instead consider all the things you can do while at home... ...

ruffrecords said:
Boris made a special announcement at 8.30pm tonight. He basically said from now on everyone must stay at home. You are only allowed out for a small number of purposes:

I just watched it.  I'm no Boris fan but he communicated clearly and is acting decisively.

I also watching today's White House briefing live and it is was truly alarming, an endless stream of vague statements and self aggrandizement.  Relentless references to his previous jobs numbers and the market.  Everything is filtered through his ego.

I am genuinely heartbroken at what is happening and how it is being handled.

I encourage anyone who feels I am being partisan to watch it, in full, on C-Span.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back