COVID-19

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sr1200 said:
Gonna throw a hat into the ring here, i've been working on helping our health dept and emergency management office (county and state, NY) since Feb.  I've seen almost every report thats being distributed internally (not to the public) and Im going to say that pretty much NO ONE knows what the hell is going on. 

There are too many variables at play, two statistically identical people (age, weight, sex, medical history) get the virus, one dies, one lives and has NO symptoms at all.  Human physiology is a complex system, nothing is one size fits all.  So people are throwing ideas against the wall and seeing if anything sticks.  Unfortunately, one treatment for one person may SEEM to work, (meanwhile it may have just been the body's natural reaction and healing, completely not tied to treatment "X") and irresponsible "doctors" are making announcements of their success before any kind of real data is vetted. 

Antibody tests seem to be completely useless since the rate of false results is just ridiculously high (how it was ever "approved" seems to be beyond a lot of the doctors i come in contact with).

Since the incubation period can be so long... AND the fact that people that test positive can have absolutely NO symptoms, best strategy right now is to stay away from everyone else you can, and limit your exposure.  And thats not for YOUR safety, its for OTHERS safety, since you DONT know if you have it or not and others immune system may not handle it like you do. 

My dad, works at one of the largest hospitals out here, got the virus (72 years old).  Kicked his ass for a week.  He was misdiagnosed with pneumonia and towards the end of it was forced to test, and came back positive, as did his wife.  He beat it and is back to work piling bodies up in refrigerated trucks and his wife is back to work (also in the healthcare industry but more office oriented). 

My gripe is people that start spreading these un-vetted, anecdotal, coincidental "news" articles as if they're the answer.  I get that people want hope and need something positive, but until theres some SOLID evidence of success for more than 62% of cases, leave it on the shelf and dont stress over it.  One of our top people at the DoH's advice was "don't even turn on the news...".  And I have to agree... nothing on there is going to save me and with the atmosphere of political bullsh*terry, its all loaded crap designed to get you either angry or hopeful without any substance. 

These are my opinions and opinions of those whom have spent their lives in the medical field and whose opinions I trust.  Take it with a grain of salt.  But no reason to fight in here folks, lets do our best to not spread rumors and keep ourselves and our families safe.  Best wishes to the community, I wish I had more time to hang out on here and I REALLY want to get back in my studio (its locked down), but it is what it is.  Stay safe everyone!  :)
+1

Glad your father recovered, and thanks for the sensible observations.

I notice that media seems fixated on trying to predict the future. Even the near future is difficult to predict with any accuracy. Apparently that is what the public wants to hear.

Be well

JR

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not trying to give any medical advise, I was just stating that instead of saying we don't know how to treat this we could spread the fact that doctors by doing their sworn duties of treating patients and not testing or waiting for results are doing everything they can to treat patients and release their results to the public.

I don't quite understand why you wanted to minimise Ibiza to a getaway island, I've lived there a big chunk of my life and assuming that the treatments there are less worthy than from another country is a little unfounded and strange.

I believe that there are far more ways to treat viruses and diseases than the latest modern medicine.

I agree that there is nothing we can do to help people in need at this moment by writing on groupdiy and I simply wanted to share my excitement on treatments that so far have helped hundred of thousands of people.
Myself I know which treatment to turn to first.

Then again we are all entitled to an opinion, that is just mine.

manulaudic said:
The thing is, Covid19's deaths are all linked to people with known diseases, (99%), so the use of Vitamin C to boost the immune system is not uncommon, so yes in Germany, they are using it.

The thing is, that you can't boost the immune system. I posted this before, but it is well worth a read:

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/boosting-your-immune-system-during-a-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR1fNO5tOskdBfYL5lVcVAmmabLw3_BimKn0CU0kJOviIbld7TxWld3lXs4

manulaudic said:
I believe that there are far more ways to treat viruses and diseases than the latest modern medicine.

Yes, and they will eventually be found by doing rigorous science. That's the way it works. Not by wishfull thinking, pseudoscience, self-deception etc.

living sounds said:
Yes, and they will eventually be found by doing rigorous science. That's the way it works. Not by wishfull thinking, pseudoscience, self-deception etc.

Really you are living in a non reality bubble then, and self decieving all at the same time.

Unfortunatley the "so called" scientific knowledge is not reasearched by valid scientists nowadays....
It's run by political and global lobies,arguing over banal stupid misconceptions, spread to the public by a showtime media.
Non of which actualy have the voting taxpaying publics welfare at heart, just their own, $£ etc,etc
Real reasearch is done by valid provable solid coherent methods, which politics and current science is not !
I thought most here being electronics enginers, DIY'rs and general intelligent humans, would have questioned more by now.
I could go on but you really would'nt like what I would have too say.
Sad days for the past times of free humanity are ahead !

I just read a dissapointing report about a study of (cough) n95 and kn95 (chinese equivalent) PPE.

A recent test by NIOSH found that 60% of the 67 brands of imported masks didn't meet the certification standards potentially putting first line care workers at risk.  One mask with unauthorized FDA marking only filtered out 35%, one KN95 tested as low as 15%. What makes this worse (criminal?) is that many front line health care organizations and local governments paid premium prices for these inferior masks. I sure hope they catch and nail these greedy bastards to the wall... This is more than just making a quick buck, there could easily be deadly consequences from substandard performance PPE.

One important difference between masks is use of ear loops that don't effectively hold the mask close to the face, as compared to NIOSH approved head bands.  Of course any mask is better than no mask especially if everybody wears masks for general public interactions. Working in high risk environments requires fully effective protection. 

My old cheap dust masks have single elastic loop so perhaps better than ear loops but not remotely n95.  My cheap chinese dust masks on order from China since april 10th is still delayed but today there was an update to the tracking advice. They showed initiating customs clearance in(?) los Angeles april 27, then on april 28th they say it left the carrier facility in HK (wha?). These cheap dust masks have the ear loops that NIOSH considers inadequate but these are not serious masks... I will keep them on order for entertainment value (and mowing my yard), since a forum member mailed me a real (3M) n95 mask, and a crazy 3M p100  (99.96% filtering). Thank you for your generosity (Scott). I told you not to send it, but I will not send them back.  8)

JR

PS: guys please try to lighten up on the personal attacks (its the rules), at least take the venom elsewhere.

s2udio said:
Really you are living in a non reality bubble then, and self decieving all at the same time.

Unfortunatley the "so called" scientific knowledge is not reasearched by valid scientists nowadays....
It's run by political and global lobies,arguing over banal stupid misconceptions, spread to the public by a showtime media.
Non of which actualy have the voting taxpaying publics welfare at heart, just their own, $£ etc,etc
Real reasearch is done by valid provable solid coherent methods, which politics and current science is not !
I thought most here being electronics enginers, DIY'rs and general intelligent humans, would have questioned more by now.

You're barking at the wrong tree.

Where is the "reality bubble" WRT to my statement, that discoveries will eventually be made by doing rigorous science? That's how it works. I made no statement WRT to wether that is happening right now.

living sounds said:
You're barking at the wrong tree.

Where is the "reality bubble" WRT to my statement, that discoveries will eventually be made by doing rigorous science? That's how it works. I made no statement WRT to wether that is happening right now.
don't feed the trolls,,,, not a rule but should be...

JR

Like I postulated some weeks back ,there now seems to be surfacing some evidence that covid infection in western countries goes back well into the tail end of 2019, samples of a few people that died  late 2019 were pulled from a deep freeze ,analysed and sure as shite now have turned up positive for Covid virus , time to re-examine weed/vape death samples from  2019 USA ? or maybe they have conveniently dissapeared .Along with this emerging evidence goes the theory were already on the way out of the second wave of this epidemic .......

Im not going to quote anything or anybody  ,have a dig around for yourselves and see what shows up ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dpuIMLugCw&list=PL4pGkk3QBW2816Meb0n8wVIM4kyjb67Ck&index=5

Tubetec said:
Like I postulated some weeks back ,there now seems to be surfacing some evidence that covid infection in western countries goes back well into the tail end of 2019, samples of a few people that died  late 2019 were pulled from a deep freeze ,analysed and sure as sh*te now have turned up positive for Covid virus , time to re-examine weed/vape death samples from  2019 USA ? or maybe they have conveniently dissapeared .Along with this emerging evidence goes the theory were already on the way out of the second wave of this epidemic .......

Im not going to quote anything or anybody  ,have a dig around for yourselves and see what shows up ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dpuIMLugCw&list=PL4pGkk3QBW2816Meb0n8wVIM4kyjb67Ck&index=5
who/where/when do you postulate was patient zero?

JR

https://hightimes.com/news/everything-we-know-so-far-recent-vape-linked-deaths-illnesses/

definately needs looking into , phase one? without even samples being made available a simple comparison of x-rays between so called weed/vape related deaths and covid might be a first logical step .

Tubetec said:
https://hightimes.com/news/everything-we-know-so-far-recent-vape-linked-deaths-illnesses/

definately needs looking into , phase one? without even samples being made available a simple comparison of x-rays between so called weed/vape related deaths and covid might be a first logical step .
How about blood test for former vape deaths?  Your link suggested that they tested for viral infection in one patient and did not find it, then treated the patient with antibiotics that don't kill virus.

Even if vaping is a risk factor for covid19 complications, not a cause (so vaping gives you the lungs of an old fart...).

JR

FWIW, just sharing information:

One of my best friends is on the board of a small North Georgia hospital, my 1st cousin is head of nursing for a lot of the Atlanta area hospital network, and another really good friend's wife is pretty high on the ladder of nursing at an East Atlanta suburb hospital. These are people I'm close to, and have been hanging out with for years.

They all three say that their respective hospitals only have about 30% load right now, compared to the 85% or so they normally have (lots of empty beds/rooms). They also say that any death is now counted as COVID-19 when government funding is in play, even if it's heart-attack/stroke/natural-causes, because they get reimbursed more. They also say they are forbidden to do most any kind of surgery due to government mandates, even life-saving surgery in some cases, and that they've seen several people die as a result.

My friend on the board of the rural facility says his hospital will be forced to close due to lack of business if things don't change before too long.

living sounds said:
The thing is, that you can't boost the immune system. I posted this before, but it is well worth a read:

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/boosting-your-immune-system-during-a-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR1fNO5tOskdBfYL5lVcVAmmabLw3_BimKn0CU0kJOviIbld7TxWld3lXs4

Thanks for the link, i tend to stay clear of Novella personally.  I agree with his final words of staying healthy. Though i still believe a healthy dose of Vitamins contribute to that. We have no way to tell what is the amount we're supposed to be eating since there isn't a clear reference. When they tell us to take X amount of something it is based on a study on numerous people and an average level that we need to obtain. Then again we could all be deficient. We don't eat well enough, that's a fact, people contract illnesses elated to food consumption only... and what about exercise?

s2udio said:

I stand with you on that, would have liked to hear more thoughts.

gltech said:
FWIW, just sharing information:

One of my best friends is on the board of a small North Georgia hospital, my 1st cousin is head of nursing for a lot of the Atlanta area hospital network, and another really good friend's wife is pretty high on the ladder of nursing at an East Atlanta suburb hospital. These are people I'm close to, and have been hanging out with for years.

They all three say that their respective hospitals only have about 30% load right now, compared to the 85% or so they normally have (lots of empty beds/rooms). They also say that any death is now counted as COVID-19 when government funding is in play, even if it's heart-attack/stroke/natural-causes, because they get reimbursed more. They also say they are forbidden to do most any kind of surgery due to government mandates, even life-saving surgery in some cases, and that they've seen several people die as a result.

My friend on the board of the rural facility says his hospital will be forced to close due to lack of business if things don't change before too long.
I know the hospitals are not allowing elective surgeries. No surprise there. All of the hospitals are hurting really bad. There are going to be a wave of bankruptcies like we've never seen before (and not just hospitals). And I would not at all be surprised if they're flagging people as corona to maximize profits in a very difficult financial situation. Presumably it's only uninsured which I think most folks would be ok with under the circumstances.

Plus probably fear of in-hospital infection, as described here:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/23/coronavirus-phobia-keeping-heart-patients-away-from-er/

Article claims that 4 in 10 people with severe heart incidents that usually require medical attention do not show up in ERs but prefer to stay home. Now that's not healthy.

Just wanted to add my dismay to the other voices in response to GLtechs revelations ,
Just the same here in Ireland hospitals have cleared out , with one publicly elected representative trying to pass it off as people showing consideration for others by not seeking medical treatment .  The cold reality is you go in for something minor ,you stand a good chance of coming out in a box  . Our health system here was already badly broken before covid awareness , now all the private hospitals are under state control ,so the tax payer faces a massive bailout bill ,every section of the economy is screaming for bail out money , meanwhile Big Pharma have seen a steady rise in share price since lockdown .

Dealing with COVID19 is a simultaneous equation with multiple variables.

There is a personal health cost to keeping the economy locked down...  Doctors and hospitals will be economically stressed (if the medical community is not a critical resource I don't know who is), individuals will also suffer multiple unintentional consequences.

It is too early to make a rigorous analysis of whether Sweden's lighter touch worked, while such direct comparisons with other countries are often flawed (apples and oranges).

We need to use all the common sense we can muster and reopen safely, and soon.

JR

Tubetec said:
The cold reality is you go in for something minor ,you stand a good chance of coming out in a box  .
Ok now. Let's try to keep reality real here. If you don't have weight or cardio issues, your chances of dying from corona is well under 1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back