Current draw in +/- linear regulators

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMan

GDIY Supporter
I have had a question knocking around in my head that I think has a simple answer, but I hope one of you can clear up for me, because I'm finding my own brain as well as my googling skills to be failing me.

If using a bipolar power supply using linear regulators -- let's say LM317/337 -- is it accurate to say that both regulators see the full current draw of a component strapped across +/- (rather than referenced to 0v)? For example, if an LED is placed between V+ and V-, and said LED draws 20mA, how is that current consumption seen by the two regulators? Since each regulator has a maximum current output, is each regulator's capacity now 20mA closer to "full?"

I have had a question knocking around in my head that I think has a simple answer, but I hope one of you can clear up for me, because I'm finding my own brain as well as my googling skills to be failing me.

If using a bipolar power supply using linear regulators -- let's say LM317/337 -- is it accurate to say that both regulators see the full current draw of a component strapped across +/- (rather than referenced to 0v)?
yes
For example, if an LED is placed between V+ and V-, and said LED draws 20mA, how is that current consumption seen by the two regulators? Since each regulator has a maximum current output, is each regulator's capacity now 20mA closer to "full?"
yes

JR

Latest posts

Back