Cutting down already installed pots

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samguaiana

Hi there,

Very much not a DIYer but I’m wondering about cutting down already installed metal pots. I have two Neve clones I’m looking to put higher quality knobs on and the pots are too long for the CAPI Marconi knobs I ordered. Any advice/insight on how to do this without doing any damage to the pots?

Thank you!

Hi there,

Very much not a DIYer but I’m wondering about cutting down already installed metal pots. I have two Neve clones I’m looking to put higher quality knobs on and the pots are too long for the CAPI Marconi knobs I ordered. Any advice/insight on how to do this without doing any damage to the pots?

Thank you!
Dremel or any other rotation multi tool with a cutting disk will do this.

Another way I've found to cut down a metal shaft pot without utterly wrecking it, is a bolt cutter held in a vice. Extreme care needed, obviously, as the end will shoot off like a bullet!

Not sure how doable that would be if the pot is already installed though, you might accidentally put a lot of force in the wrong place. Not possible to just desolder the pots and install ones that would fit?

If you do use a rotary grinding tool (And the shaft end you wish to cut off held firmly in a metal vice), do it in several passes to insure the heat from cutting does not damage the pot.
If you can hold the shaft in the vice, a metal cutting handsaw with a fine tooth blade can work.

Definitely put the shaft and not the pot in the vise. I like to wrap some tape around where the shaft meets the bushing to prevent any debris from getting inside the housing. I like a rotary tool better than a bolt cutter but I have used both. The bolt cutter tends to deform the shaft.

Junior hacksaw with the shaft clamped in a vice is my way of doing it .
Tidy up any edges with a file after . profile the top of the shaft etc .
A bolt cutters I never tried , just sounds like a bad idea to me .

I have used an electrical snips to cut plastic pot shafts , but never with the pot mounted up because the force stands a good chance of doing damage .

A vice like you see below can be set with the jaws vertical to grab onto the end of a front panel mounted pot shaft , You support the workpiece with one hand ,hacksaw with the other , 30 seconds its job done with a clean finish ,
The cutting wheel idea is a nono for me also , its difficult to get a start and keep it from making a mess and your sending particals flying everywhere .
1690849698433.png

Last edited:
The cutting wheel idea is a nono for me also , its difficult to get a start and keep it from making a mess and your sending particals flying everywhere .
View attachment 112503
One could say the same thing about a hack saw. It’s hard to get it started without putting side shear force on the shaft. I have a mini hack saw which looks perfect for the job but I don’t like it. Too much force on the pot shaft.

I suppose it may come down to technique. I’m halfway decent with an angle grinder or rotary tool. I can keep them from bucking. Tape around the shaft and bushing keeps particles out.

Hold the shaft in a vice. Then as othets say "cut with a dremel type thing or fine saw"

Forget that last ppst its already installed. Silly billy i never read the whole thread

The best results I've had so far have been using a light duty project vise (plastic jaw inserts) and a SpeedClic cutoff tool like @rock soderstrom linked to, on a Dremel flex extension. This works for lots of things, including pot shafts that require trimming, and if one is careful, the cutoff tool disc is useful to shape/burnish the end results.

If you have a bit of extra time and/or patience, those Xacto razor saws look great though.

Edit: if one is creative, cushioning, positioning & supporting an already installed target using a project vise is definitely still feasible :)

Latest posts

Back