Cutting Sheets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an angle grinder and I have a Foredom rotary grinder. I'm set up very nicely for working on small parts with the little table saw and band saw.  I also have a Taig mini mill.

It's not practical for me to order pre cut metal because I'm not always sure what I want or what I need to do. I'm also very busy there would be no time to make friends and ask for favors. I do know someone with a full machine shop and giant 5 axis CNC but he's a pro and it's not nearby. I ask questions when I see him but I try not to be a pest.  It's worth it to me to have the tools.

I have a commercial space. Noise is not a problem but space is. My next studio will have room for a large shop.

For thinner sheets bandsaws don't work well, because you typically violate the 3 tooth rule....at least 3 teeth should be in the work at all times.

You can get router bits for cutting sheet aluminum, but it's noisy, wasteful, and dangerous.

People have cut sheet metal on tablesaws, but you won't find me doing it.

A metal cutting abrasive blade in a skilsaw works well even with the thinnest sheets. Not so good with brass and aluminum.

Power nibblers are an option.

Of course a shear is best, but they are expensive, large, and heavy.

As is laser or plasma.

Les
L M Watts Technology

I haven't made a move on getting anything for this.  As usual I start with asking for the world and then have to think about what I actually need when it becomes apparent I can't have the world. Still thinking.

I spent a good part of yesterday polishing the 6061 aluminum for the bed enclosure I am making. My first day off in quite a while. I started with 120 grit and worked my way up to 1000 grit. It was very time consuming so I only did that for some of it. It was also somewhat expensive. The aluminum oxide sanding discs don't last that long and aren't that cheap. For the rest of it I took Timothy's advice and used 120 grit to rough it out and 220 grit to "brush" it. I learned a lot about handling the orbital sander and got a better feel for the aluminum. I'm really happy with the bed enclosure and more importantly so is my girlfriend.

Back