D-47 Build Question or2..or 3

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nah, i'd definitely rebuild the psu from scratch if i went with the EF47.

i think i'll put a new pair of tubes in my MK47 in the next few days and let them burn in over night, do a HI-Z cleaning with isopropanol, redjust the PSU voltage and maybe even put the 1,5K in the PSU case.

I would be very interested to know if that does anything. Maybe I'll put a couple samples up and you can tell me what you think

neat! i'm always interested in samples.

one more thing about the MK47/noise correlation.
when max at ioaudio released the MK47 kit the only U47 style body was the Equinox u47 body. there were other bodies (AMI, Flea) but not many and not as readily available as the Equinox bodies.
Well that body is cool and stuff but there is definitely an issue with the Binder connector and the bottom bell connector of this body because when i recently built the EF47 for a friend of mine i used an Equinox body i had laying around that was intended for another MK47 kit i still have in a drawer.
so, when i finished the new EF47 i noticed some tube sizzling and some non-constant noise especially when moving around the mic (yes moving around the mic not move the mic around). i was so confident in this built that i knew it had to be something not caused by me doing something wrong. so, the first thing i did was tighten those female sockets of the binder connector with a pair of needle nose pliers. and guess what..it was gone!
i didn't have time to investigate this exact issue on my MK47 but i will do that along with the aforementioned steps.
most of the current D-EF47 and D-47 builds end up in XLR equipped bodies. just sayin!

slightly off-topic but interesting for anyone doing research on the MK47 vs EF47 topic in the future i hope.

when max at ioaudio released the MK47 kit the only U47 style body was the Equinox u47 body. there were other bodies (AMI, Flea) but not many and not as readily available as the Equinox bodies.
The kit was actually made for the short, GT-2B body.
But you can fit it in a longer body, too,  obviously.
The MK-U47 was made for a  long body to begin with.
Not that your post necessarily contradicts this, but just to avoid confusion.  :)

yes around the same time or shortly after the initial relase of the ioaudio MK47 kit chunger brought those GT-2B bodies into the game...totally forfot about those. but still...right now it's pretty much XLR only land or at least not as many Binder bodies as back then. and then there's the odd Aputis connector and mic n mods small tuchel.

yes around the same time or shortly after the initial relase of the ioaudio MK47 kit chunger brought those GT-2B bodies into the game...
Yeah, so you didn't have to gut the Thomann T-bone SCT700, Nady TCM1050 and the like (and hide the logo and such).

useme2305 said:
neat! i'm always interested in samples.

one more thing about the MK47/noise correlation.
Well that body is cool and stuff but there is definitely an issue with the Binder connector and the bottom bell connector of this body because when i recently built the EF47 for a friend of mine i used an Equinox body i had laying around that was intended for another MK47 kit i still have in a drawer.
so, when i finished the new EF47 i noticed some tube sizzling and some non-constant noise especially when moving around the mic (yes moving around the mic not move the mic around). i was so confident in this built that i knew it had to be something not caused by me doing something wrong. so, the first thing i did was tighten those female sockets of the binder connector with a pair of needle nose pliers. and guess what..it was gone!
i didn't have time to investigate this exact issue on my MK47 but i will do that along with the aforementioned steps.
most of the current D-EF47 and D-47 builds end up in XLR equipped bodies. just sayin!

slightly off-topic but interesting for anyone doing research on the MK47 vs EF47 topic in the future i hope.

That's actually an interesting observation. I'm curious to know what you discover with the things you do.
I mentioned it earlier, but there was a guy on another thread who was saying that he thinks the noise is potentially a symptom and tube swapping is a band aid sort of thing. I have no idea if this guy is correct or not, but with your observation it sort of makes his thought seem to possibly make a bit more sense.

The thing for me is I don't know if what is going on with my mic is not acceptable to others as far as noise. I honestly have not heard any as of yet, but it sounds like, from others input, that it can come out of nowhere. I mean that would be a huge bummer if it in fact can do that. Only way for me to find out is to use the microphone.

I go back to wondering if there is some small difference in the boards maybe or parts or bodies that can somehow influence the noise situation with one build over another. That seems to be the thought of the guy I was mentioning. I guess we shall see. I don't think I did something that others who have built a bunch of microphones did not do or what not, but it does seem possible that some small thing within the framework of the build can have an affect.

How cool would it be if there was a solution found that was able to eliminate the noise of this configuration! It seems as though people generally like the sound of these mics, but the tube noise is a big turn off

Just to give a little bit more weight to the post of Useme2305:

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/topic/19405924/EF800-as-a-microphone-tube-issues?page=1#.WWPwAulpyM8

Read the drama until post number43.

However, i ve had a Flea47 with ef14 in the last studio i worked in, bought new from a well known europe distributor.

First time i plug it, nothing to say, the mic is awesome, work flawlessly... 3 weeks later, session with a singer, the mic start to pop and swirl... It never again was quiet after that day... Nice for a 5000 euros mic.

When i left the place i decided to build one for me as i own an original k47, bought some ef14 (nearly 10: a lot of money spend)... never found one quiet enough or when it was they were microphonic, some both. I gave up the projects some years back, and now i decided to go for an other kind of tube.

All that to say that the problem you encounter with noise in tube mic can be from different reason as previously explained, but to my opinion first thing to do is to stay away from tube that are known to be microphonic or impossible to find quiet enough. Lesson learned.

KrIVIUM2323 said:
Just to give a little bit more weight to the post of Useme2305:

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/topic/19405924/EF800-as-a-microphone-tube-issues?page=1#.WWPwAulpyM8

Read the drama until post number43.

However, i ve had a Flea47 with ef14 in the last studio i worked in, bought new from a well known europe distributor.

First time i plug it, nothing to say, the mic is awesome, work flawlessly... 3 weeks later, session with a singer, the mic start to pop and swirl... It never again was quiet after that day... Nice for a 5000 euros mic.

When i left the place i decided to build one for me as i own an original k47, bought some ef14 (nearly 10: a lot of money spend)... never found one quiet enough or when it was they were microphonic, some both. I gave up the projects some years back, and now i decided to go for an other kind of tube.

All that to say that the problem you encounter with noise in tube mic can be from different reason as previously explained, but to my opinion first thing to do is to stay away from tube that are known to be microphonic or impossible to find quiet enough. Lesson learned.

I just read all that and am honestly floored! All of these amazing mic builders and that was the issue, amazing! I can say from personal experience with troubleshooting that sometimes it is the simplest thing...I literally had one of these situations Saturday, I was on the verge of becoming completely frustrated because everything was correct. The fix ended up being something simple that I had not overlooked, but was just a hair off, literally. Very cool read, Thanks for that. I hope some others get a chance to see that as well as what Useme2305 said earlier, not that it is the answer, but it definitely plays into what another guy was saying about the tubes possibly being a symptom.

Edit:    I want to clarify my "Amazing Builders" comment because it is possible that my remarks can be taken out of context. I meant no disrespect to these amazing people. I was just saying that sometimes we miss something so simple because it is just too simple and there is no way it can be that simple. I have tremendous respect for those individuals who have spent a lifetime making me (A Vocalist) sound much better than I should! I just wanted to make sure everyone understands and isn't reading that like "who is this guy?!"

Back