D-LA2A Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[silent:arts] said:
telefunk said:
BTW, the broken channel compresses and works normally when the Peak Reduction pot is fully CCW and Stereo Link is switched on and the control voltage comes from the working channel.

which leads us to the potentiometer and its connections to the PCB, isn't it.
or maybe something around VX03 ...

Yes, it was the potentiometer! Thank you Volker!

And, btw, if I haven't already said this before I'll say it now: This is the finest piece of DIY I have witnessed, ever. My most loved compressor, ever. Just stunning quality. And..and...ok ok, you got the point.

So, thank you!

benlindell said:
Just got my first one up and running. I had trouble finding info on the 25K +75K mod for gain, I put the 75K between the wiper and pin 2 on the molex. Should I have put it between pin 3 and the pot?
pin 3 is right

Finished! Thanks for the great board.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6181/6129342112_4ebc4aab5e_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6129341114_3ae3a8b22b_b.jpg

This was my first time using flickr, how do I make these show up as photos rather than links?

Yes, pricey originals but fantastic tone. I gave my wife the layout and the words and she made them pretty in illustrator,  then we made a silkscreen and I printed it with Nazdar 59000 ink onto a Parmetal front panel.

soundcollage said:
Yes, pricey originals but fantastic tone. I gave my wife the layout and the words and she made them pretty in illustrator,  then we made a silkscreen and I printed it with Nazdar 59000 ink onto a Parmetal front panel.

Oh you'll have to go into more details for us printing / silkscreening impaired folks. Otherwise, gratz on the build. I made one with NOS T4 and trafos, so I know how hard it is to source at a good price. Very nice build :)

EDIT: oh, and great idea with 4 VUs.. I find myself flicking that VU/GR switch all the time..

8) 8) 8)

a nicely done VU monster ;D
with switches instead of pots - the way to go.

now you want one banner for it, don't you.
such a unique built deserves one :D

DLA2A-soundcollage.gif

So I thought I got the 75K+25K thing right but I'm still just using the gain knob to about 10 before I have too much gain. Did I get something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 129
I used this. The red is red for me too

Attachments

• TARGET__LA2_rev01_Platinenl-1.gif
    TARGET__LA2_rev01_Platinenl-1.gif
    29.1 KB · Views: 111
Ben, looks right.
how would you describe too much gain?
meaning: does the D-LA2A starts oscillation, does it distort, too much gain for following equipment or AD converters?
many options ;)

Too much gain as in when I flip from bypass to in to match the input signal to output signal I have the gain on 10, I thought the 75K resistor was there to make the range larger.

Just did a little small test.

Neutrik Minirator +6dBu out -> D-LA2A bypassed -> RTW (0VU [= +6dBu])
With no gain reduction but the D-LA2A inserted my needed gain is 2,75 on my scale,
which is around 10 o'clock position.

for me this is fine, and your mod looks good.
with normal gain reduction applied you will need some more gain,
but I must admit I have never been past 12 o'clock yet.
this is a workable gain range, before the mod it must have been 8 o'clock to 9 o'clock (if I recall correctly, a few years past by)

you can still change to a 10k pot with a 91k resistor etc

Whoops, I forgot to give the scale, I didn't mean 10:00 I meant 10/100 which is how I scaled my front panel, so its at about 7:30 or so

Nice to have is 4 vu meters for always on indication of output and gr.

I like to do it too  :)

The only issue is that the vu meter does add quite substantial noise to the output,
across the mid and high bands.

I checked it out on the spectrum analyser and was amazed at how much noise it adds,
particularly around 1K-5Khz or so.

My new 'vu monsters' have a spdt switch for defeating the Output Level VU meter.

Cheers

baadcode i have many more pictures of this project, but i did not want to clog this thread. when i get all my photos onto photo bucket i will start a thread of all the projects i have completed in my time lurking here and i'll be sure to go into the details of the silkscreening process.
silent thanks again for the great board! i've been sitting on it for a while gathering parts and it's great to finally have it finished. also, thanks for the banner- now i just need to figure out how to put it into my signature.
alex, i sure have not noticed any added noise with my unit, though i don't have a spectrum analyzer yet.

spase said:
hey guys anyone can send me up-to-date BOM for this d-la2a build?

Look closely at the first posting.  ;)

Costs depend highly on the parts you are using (especially case, tubes, capacitors and trafos may vary regarding costs).

hey
im pretty much a beginner at this and just started stuffing my board yesterday. actually im doing fine. there arer only a few parts im not sure where to put. maybe someone can help? its:

Vr/1000V Io/1A Fairchild Rectifiers    and
100V/200mA  Fairchild Rectifiers

iguess they belong to the power supply (D1-D6). but which do belong to D1-D2 and which to D3-D6.

thanks a lot

Latest posts

Back