dbx 160vu clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abechap024 said:
board_1.jpg

Arrived today. Getting ready to ship them all out ASAP.

Thanks you all.

I still have some left for those who weren't able to get in on the pre-order. Its 35$ plus 5$ flat shipping around the world to payment AT acsoundstudio.com

Get your soldering guns ready! :D

Abe

I'd like to get one of theese PCBs, do you still have it?

It may be good to start a new thread for support of the CLX 160VU, with all the correct documents at the first part of the thread.
Then link this thread to it and that one to this one just for reference.

Since ABECHAP024 did the pcb's he should be the man in charge of making the build thread.

Anyone taken a look at a stereo link point?

Songguy said:
Hi Abe,
Payment sent for 1 board  :)

Thanks,
Chris

Confirmed Thanks! Shipping out today.
pedroplanet said:
I'd like to get one of theese PCBs, do you still have it?

Also Yes there are boards left.
kazper said:
It may be good to start a new thread for support of the CLX 160VU, with all the correct documents at the first part of the thread.
Then link this thread to it and that one to this one just for reference.

Since ABECHAP024 did the pcb's he should be the man in charge of making the build thread.

Anyone taken a look at a stereo link point?

Good Ideas. I'll set one up today. Also the stereo link point has been on my mind. DBX originally built a separate  unit, the 162, to compress stereo material but I think with modern day matched components we will be more successful.
One simple way that I have not tried yet is just to connect the 22uf tant timing capacitors together and that will put the 2 units into stereo mode. BUT like the 1176 it will change the timing constants around. Could sound OK or could sound funky, Haven't tried it yet, but I am going to soon. Anyone feel free to chime in with ideas...

-Abe

beatnik said:
Hi Abe,

please can you tell me what's the difference between rev1 and rev2 pcb?

thanks

Rev 1 was mainly just a prototype and the differences in rev 2 is a easier to build power supply (rev1 had the original power supply) and rev2 has some fixed transistor footprints has the off board connectors in more convenient spots also the meter emulation section is upgraded as on rev1 as is it didn't' work.
Cheers,
Abe

Well can't find the other thread....just want to let people know that the REV 3 manual is finished!

www.acsoundstudio.com/manuals/clx_manual_rev3.pdf

Thanks

wow, this is a very fine new project. Love them 160's. How does the unit compare to the original and what is the estimated total assembly price for a stereo one?

greetings!

Hello,
Yes the rev 3s are closer to the original. Mistakes on the circuitboards are fixed and easier to build. I was just comparing it to the original and the uad plugin and its spot on

estimated build cost is probably pretty cheap. No really hard to find parts

Hi all,

I will be stocking meters for this project. The meters will be 1mA FSD with the scale pictured. The pointer will be white and the LEDs will also be white.

Please see attached meter scale. The meter will fit the DIY racked and Collective Cases case.

The meter will cost $33.00AUD each plus postage to your destination.

If you order more than 2 meters the price is $30.00AUD each.

I will be ordering the meters next month. I will post back when they are in stock. PM me if you are interested.

Kind Regards,
Ladislav

Attachments

• 160VU Meter Scale.png
    160VU Meter Scale.png
    39 KB · Views: 67
This is a good point but no mater what you call it is a dbx 160. You're building a clone or reproduction of someones else's design and to take the moral high ground because I would like a meter that looks like the original to complement the design is not fair. I would only of got the meters made that I needed but unfortunately there is a minimum order and it is quite a lot more than I need so the only thing that makes sense is to sell the ones I don't need to other people that are building this project.

Regards,
Brezo

Have you seen a real 160?

I haven't seen any builds that look remotely like one.

DBX%20160%20VU%20ex%20Ringo%20sales@mjq.co.uk.jpg

The original dbx meter was blue legend on a white background.

If you like the meter, get it.

If you don't ignore it.

Regards,
Mark

Yes is have seen a real dbx 160. Like I said this is a order that had to satisfy may people and they chose the white on black design.

Attachments

• dbx meter blue on white.pdf
    78.4 KB · Views: 36
I could get the exact meter remade but people did not won't to spend that kind of money. The same model meter is still available today and is made by Beede. I believe that meter used in UA LA-2A is the same design made by Beede.

Just be sure to post in the appropriate marketplace forum, or the moderators will delete your posts, possibly suspend you.  Likewise up to them on the trademarked logo issue, to allow sales or not. 

Latest posts

Back