Death wish coffee

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bowie said:
Coffee guys; answer me this...
Coffee usually rots my stomach unless I eat something with it.  However, I've found that some are not as bad at this as others and I recently got hooked on Kicking Horse coffees, which don't seem to bother my stomach much at all.  What is it that causes stomach pain?  Is it the acidity?  Or, something else?

One of the partners at the Studio where I have my shop seems to think it is the acidity.  He makes cold brew coffee and it does not bother him.  Plus it tastes great, especially in the summer :)

mjrippe said:
Bowie said:
Coffee usually rots my stomach unless I eat something with it.  However, I've found that some are not as bad at this as others and I recently got hooked on Kicking Horse coffees, which don't seem to bother my stomach much at all.  What is it that causes stomach pain?  Is it the acidity?  Or, something else?

One of the partners at the Studio where I have my shop seems to think it is the acidity.  He makes cold brew coffee and it does not bother him.  Plus it tastes great, especially in the summer :)

I make cold brew in the summer using decaf...Just soak the ground coffee in water in the refrigerator overnight, then filter before drinking.  Still drink my morning coffee hot even in the summer.

JR

benqbasic said:
This really is the best forum.  ;D
You're making me want to start roasting John.
I can't imagine not roasting... Many got started using fluid bed, hot air roasters, like the old pop corn poppers, before everything went microwave. Some old school combine hot air poppers with variacs to vary the temperature.

The entry level hot air roasters are good value for dipping your toe in the water, but do not survive under regular use very long. I have been using a drum roaster (Hottop) actually a Korean product, but they have excellent availability of repair parts,,, over decades these things wear out.

Good luck, you could roast coffee in a frying pan (cowboy coffee) but it isn't easy and the smoke is a bit much for indoors..One of those popcorn poppers designed to use over a fire would work, over a fire outdoors.

JR

pucho812 said:
Does caffine work like alcohol in that  is there a point where the body stops absorbing  it like alcohol when drinking in mass quantities?
Too much caffeine affects my ease falling asleep. I limit myself to one pot of regular in the morning and decaf for later in the day.

Too much of anything is never good...

JR

Check this regarding the half-life of coffee

For me it was the acidity in coffee that I had to remove from my system.  The occasional sip tastes much more bitter now that I do not have a cup every morning.  Try eating some food if you have to have coffee, otherwise go for tea for the stimulant.

I agree with the DIY roasting difference.  I have recently been roasting my own raw cashews and a fresh dry roasted cashew has a sweetness that I never tasted in anything from a store.

Mike

I've worked myself down to a two cup size in the morning, never stops being amazing how much brighter things
are after that!  My problem with grinding is that I need the first cup before I feel like doing anything.
I have found the body will now react to warm water as a trigger to get the plumbing going,
still the magical elixir of life!  If there wasn't already starbucks I'd say we should start a cult!

Well it seems there are many amoung us who have a ritual with coffee.

Mine starts off with morning e-mails and coffee in a manley labs mug. No real reason other then it is ritual, kind of like not talking to a pitcher during a no hitter.  Then more coffee throughout the day.  I've hit a point where I can do a cup and go right to bed if needed. What is your ritual?

okgb said:
I've worked myself down to a two cup size in the morning, never stops being amazing how much brighter things
are after that!  My problem with grinding is that I need the first cup before I feel like doing anything.
I have found the body will now react to warm water as a trigger to get the plumbing going,
still the magical elixir of life!  If there wasn't already starbucks I'd say we should start a cult!

I once owned a coffee brewer that you clean and load up the night before, then a timer has it start itself and brew coffee automatically first thing the next morning. Nice to wake up to fresh brewed coffee... but.  Grinding the coffee beans even 8 hours before using, allows some flavor to escape, and it's a toss up whether clean and prep late at night or first thing in the morning is worse. I rather not have to do anything like that late at night while I'm winding down toward dream land.

In the morning I put one pre-measured container of roasted beans into the burr grinder (after I roast 5 days worth I divide up the roasted beans into 5 pre-measured servings and store in individual air tight plastic containers), while I fill the kettle with RO**  water. When the grinder finishes, I switch on the kettle and dump yesterday's spent grounds from my pour-over brewer, into the trash, then add fresh ground coffee...I actually use a combination of metal filter and paper. Using metal filter only allows too much sediment through for my taste. Using paper filter only drains too slow and causes the hot water to sit too long in contact with the grounds and over extracts ( subjective?). The metal filter first grabs the big grounds, and then the paper filter below traps the fine sediment and allows the brewed coffee to drain faster. I made this 2 stage rig from an old Melita but using a metal filter, sitting on top of my old Bunn brew basket. I just balance this kluge on top of my standard coffee pot and magic happens every morning.

Within minutes the kettle is boiling . I actually pour the boiling water into my travel thermos before pouring into the pour over brew basket to scrub off a few degrees. Optimal brewing temp is just below boiling, and this intermediate stage drops the temperature  just enough.
=====
The cheap plastic counter top coffee makers actually make pretty good coffee compared to the old school metal percolator pots that were used back in the day.  For a couple decades I used a Bunn and the instant hot water feature was nice, but my personal unit developed a temperature regulation issue so the water was cooler than optimal.  :eek: It took me a while to troubleshoot why my first pot of the day tasted different than my second pot (back before I cut back on caffeine)..  Plus with Bunn, you are heating your kitchen in the summer. I guess a Bunn in combination with an outlet timer switch could be turned on soon enough to get up to temperature. The Bunn was a good machine and gave me my money's worth over a couple decades.

A few minutes in the morning making coffee works for me.  I have the ritual down so I don't have to think before the caffeine kicks in.  8)

JR

**RO:  I use reverse osmosis filtered water so very pure... coffee nerds insist that you need to add some minerals back to RO water to make the perfect cup... I am very happy with my coffee using pure water.

A couple good & valid points.  Measuring once you've settled on a ratio really helps for consistent good coffee
and yeah my house is cool at night time to sleep, so in the a.m.  I microwave water in my coffee cup to stop it from
cooling the coffee, the computer is a reasonable use of time while you're waking up with coffee !

Bowie said:

Seems too much like an ad.. Ad-AI is just targeting the site better.

But from coffee point of view, just how filtered is your coffee?

Perhaps not enough and filters matter.

me i like espresso style better because the texture is creamier. the ritual is just a single shot followed by a glass of iced water. the cold water creates an interesting reaction and brings out even more flavor
the quality of the machine is equally important as the coffee blend and prep method. the latest generation espresso machines for home use give quite good results for the price but cannot beat a 5k + machine like the ones in a proper coffee bar
a fellow bartender back in italy who is super freak about coffee insisted to say that the results vary also depending on the weather of the day, meaning the atmospheric pressure influence the pressure in the machine. i always told him you are crazy but yeah make me another shot

JohnRoberts said:
pucho812 said:
John is there anything you don't do? Thanks for the info.  Happy New Year. :)
Plenty... but life is too short to tolerate inferior beverages so I brew my own beer and coffee, etc.

JR

too right. I cant believe people put their hard earned cash into endless jars of foul tasting brown stuff claiming to be Coffee *sigh*

i'd love to roast my own one day, but I love Lavazza red (as long as its not burnt, somehow even Italian coffee pots manage to burn it if you don't watch carefully pffft)

Kingston said:
Bowie said:

Seems too much like an ad.. Ad-AI is just targeting the site better.

But from coffee point of view, just how filtered is your coffee?

Perhaps not enough and filters matter.
As I mention I double filter my coffee first using a metal filter, then after that with a paper filter. I can see from the amount of sediment trapped by my paper filter that it makes a significant difference.

Many people appreciate the tree-friendly economy of using metal filters, I don't care for the sediment left at the bottom of my cup and mouth feel of the extra sediment. 

JR

PS Earlier i mentioned that the cheap plastic drip coffee makers don't completely suck, but absolutely do not leave the pot on the heat after brewing. You can easily reheat a cup of coffee with a few seconds in the microwave without damaging the taste, the way sitting on a hot plate for hours does.  Some purist claim they can taste changes just from coffee sitting in a thermos for a few hours (they probably need to clean their thermos  ;D ).

some coffees are supposed to have sediment in the bottom of the cup, Greek, for eg;

each coffee has its own method of brewing and drinking. cant say i'm a big fan of greek coffee tho. give me Italian coffee pot and a ristretto any day :)

I cant stand dripped coffee, American style, watery blah; especially as most machines are cheap, and the water is far to hot when it hits the coffee

miszt said:
some coffees are supposed to have sediment in the bottom of the cup, Greek, for eg;

each coffee has its own method of brewing and drinking. cant say i'm a big fan of greek coffee tho. give me Italian coffee pot and a ristretto any day :)
yup.. not a fan of sediment, even if intentional... I found more sediment in coffee served in Europe than the US.
I cant stand dripped coffee, American style, watery blah; especially as most machines are cheap, and the water is far to hot when it hits the coffee
Garbage in = garbage out. A large influence is amount of grounds used per pot, and quality of the beans.

I said the small consumer drip makers are better than old percolator pots and I stand by that. The water temp for a drip pot can be engineered to be cooler than boiling. If you look at how most work, the hot water gets pumped up (by the steam) through a small plastic tube several inches from the water reservoir near the bottom, up to the top to drip down onto the grounds.

Not as good as pour-over, press, or vacuum pots where you can control water temp separately, just not as bad. It's all relative. It could be worse and it was. 

JR

Side note, I would always check the coffee packages  if it wasn't my usual stuff to make sure there was no robusta
in there, some used give the blend percentage but I notice now many don't say 100% Arabica anymore, some say 100% coffee
many don't say anything at all  [ whats in there ]

Latest posts

Back