DIY teacher/mentor in Los angeles

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently moved to Chino in the "inland empire" myself. I'd be willing to teach the occasional class on grounding, AC power, input/output stage tand general analog circuit design. I could host small groups (6 or less). It would be a fun way to make some friends in the area!
Thank you for this amazing and very generous offer. I'd be very happy to join. I use to go to Chino Hills Electronic Swap Meet but sadly it has been discontinued.

MAPS app is trying to protect people (and Google) from driving into the ocean. I tell people it's too long a drive, but it would be disrupted about 1 m from shore, anyway.

Any chance there's someone in the Peoria/Quad-Cities region that'd be up for something like this?
Otherwise I may just have to move to LA...

I'm writing from Highland Park and I'd love to join up, if it's possible have someone with experience supervise me attempting to do simple repairs and modifications, and advise on how I'd do 'em properly.

I'm writing from Highland Park and I'd love to join up, if it's possible have someone with experience supervise me attempting to do simple repairs and modifications, and advise on how I'd do 'em properly.
Highland Park IL? That's not too far from me -- but I'm far from being in a position to supervise someone else's work.
There must be something in the Chicagoland area for this kind of thing. I'll ask around...

Hi, Casey, thanks for writing—in this particular instance, Highland Park is a neighborhood in Los Angeles near the other respondents who live in NE LA, or Pasadena, or etc.

I'm in Claremont, CA, 30ish miles east of LA. I'll be following this conversation and look forward to participating. Always happy to learn more and share what I can.

SoCal meetup folks. I just wanna give this a little bump. Should we maybe make a thread specific to this somewhere else in the forum? I'm gonna put some thoughts below. Please add anything that makes sense to you and hopefully we can work something out.

Meetup Considerations:

A public space? Rec hall sort of thing? Someone willing to host?
Traversing LA proper sucks. Somewhere on the outskirts might make things easier for those who don't live/work in the city.

Timing
I feel like we should try to get something going sooner than later so this doesn't just fizzle out.
The coming months are busy with holidays and such so I get it if it doesn't work out for a while.
I have a 8-5 job so evenings/weekends are better for me, but I know we're likely not all on the same schedule.

Format
A casual hang might be a good start, and we can see where we want to go from there.

What to bring?
Maybe at least pictures of completed, ongoing, or planned projects to begin with? Snackies and beverages if the meetup spot doesn't have them?

Despite me being the least qualified to participate, unless you're counting me (generously) as almost-limitless potential for growth from where I'm at—
I do note that a number of people in this thread are in the same general area which is friendliest to your drive from Claremont and doesn't involve crossing the city, such as one in the SGV, one in Lincoln Hts, I'm on the edge of S Pas, etc. All on the east side very close to the 210 or 10. That's pretty neat. Edited to add: and Rancho Cucamonga and Chino, just a touch farther out than you.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like my space will be ready to host a meeting for quite some time. But I'm certainly willing to attend a meeting and share my knowledge if someone else can host and organize it. I don't want to be the one holding things back!

I might be able to find a place in Hollywood or West Hollywood for a regular meeting if that works for people. It would be nice to have some bench space and some tools there, so I'll check with a studio or two that I work with and maybe a school, too.

Back