Drip drip drip, ------

Help Support GroupDIY:

Sorr

About a decade ago a good customer got two of his LA2A types with switchable LDR's. After loading the PCB he asked me to help him wire it up. That took two days due to the poor layout. And me correcting work. Got it working. I thought it had two much distortion, but he was happy at first. Then he complained that it didn't sound or seem to work like a real one.
got in back in the workshop and
decided the problem was with the the LDR's it used. I have heard distortion with different LDR's before. But unless I really went through it I couldn't be definitive. Which I was not going to do. Otherwise it was working ok. A month later it stopped working. To fault find on this thing was a major pain, ie getting the one PCB out. Put it on the back burner and x years later all the documentation on it no longer exists.
Design some PCB's, document the build guide. Leave the well meaning people on forums to trouble shoot and just sell pcb's.
Does he take a cut of the cases? Who knows. Strange business model.

reducer

I’ve done some Dr*p projects. When the 124 came out, I built two, and posted findings on the Dr*p forum…mistakes, really. Other builders were thanking me for finding the mistakes, and it felt good to help out. Within a week of posting issues with this pcb/schematic, the forum went completely dead. I will build more 124 comps, using the original schematic, but probably point to point.

soapfoot

I built ten drip REDD.47 units several years ago. They're all still working great and sounding fantastic, in daily use across our facility. It wasn't quite foolproof, and I undertook some modifications/additional features, but everything worked out okay.

From what I understand, earlier revisions weren't quite as successful (this was the "47 Ultra" or whatever).

Went to cross-reference some documentation a few months back, and it's no longer available, which I found disappointing.

LilHeaven Studios

Well, I'd like to thank everyone here who's helped me with my Drip projects. I really appreciate the time and thought people have put into their replies to me. If anyone is having trouble with the STA-Level I've managed to get mine up and running, so feel free to message me, and there are a couple of great threads here which have really helped. But yeah, it's a bit of a treasure hunt trying to work out which documentation is relevant to each build. A lot of headaches.

In contrast I've just ordered some boards from another site, and the documentation that goes with them is fantastic, with an extensive build guide, BOM with notes on variations, and test instructions. I feel as though this will be a really good build after some difficult experiences.
Hi Moris,
I am currently building a 2012 DRIP Sta Level (the big PCB), and was wondering if you built this one also?
The board uses the Hammond 270FX power transformer according to the BOM. Unfortunately the build manual, which is for the dual Sta Level, uses another model. I can't figure out which wires go where on the board.
We mailed Drip a few times and at first he was fairly responsive, but total silence now since a good month and a half..

Hope you can help me out!
Many thanks in advance,
best,
Kees

JMan

Hey mods, just a thought, this thread has been housed in the Dynamic Processors forum since its inception, but maybe it would be more appropriately at home in the Brewery...

JohnRoberts

Staff member
Do we need a separate sub forum for these kind of questions,,,, any name ideas?

if the question is about a "stay level thing" that sounds like a dynamics processor.

JR

JMan

why screw up the brewery?

JR
It was just a thought. It seems to me that a thread dedicated to how everyone generally feels annoyed with a retailer doesn't really make sense in "Project Specific Discussions." After all, which project is "Drip drip drip, can we get rid of that bullshit?"

JohnRoberts

Staff member
It was just a thought. It seems to me that a thread dedicated to how everyone generally feels annoyed with a retailer doesn't really make sense in "Project Specific Discussions." After all, which project is "Drip drip drip, can we get rid of that bullshit?"
Sadly this thread has become a magnet for unsupported(?) Drip customers. I am not going to dedicate a new sub-forum to a manufacturer who doesn't take care of business.

How about a compromise..? I might be able to change the name of the thread to something like "drip, drip, drip" without the pejorative. I think we all know how people feel about the sitch.

JR

morls

Hi Moris,
I am currently building a 2012 DRIP Sta Level (the big PCB), and was wondering if you built this one also?
The board uses the Hammond 270FX power transformer according to the BOM. Unfortunately the build manual, which is for the dual Sta Level, uses another model. I can't figure out which wires go where on the board.
We mailed Drip a few times and at first he was fairly responsive, but total silence now since a good month and a half..

Hope you can help me out!
Many thanks in advance,
best,
Kees
I started a thread a while back about this project's PSU, so I'll reply over there...
Drip Dual-STA PSU build