Ebike battery charging

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVs were invented over a century ago. If it was a good idea, the government wouldn't need their fat thumb on the scale. They would already be in use everywhere. Not just on golf courses.

Of course opinions vary.

JR
If the damn government hadn’t put in the interstate road system we wouldn’t be in this predicament. :)

If the damn government hadn’t put in the interstate road system we wouldn’t be in this predicament. :)
President Eisenhower wanted to emulate the German Autobahns because he saw the merit for defense while he was general during WWII.

An unintended benefit was opening up the country to convenient tourism.

Exactly what predicament?

JR

President Eisenhower wanted to emulate the German Autobahns because he saw the merit for defense while he was general during WWII.

An unintended benefit was opening up the country to convenient tourism.

Exactly what predicament?

JR
Of having the heavy hand of the federal government in transportation. The heavy hand of the federal government was your objection to EV’s. There would be no place to go without the federal highway system. No need for the government to be promoting EV’s.

What we need to control is the artificial need to travel and transport without any valid reason.

It is really scary that this seems to be common sentiment among people. They want to give the government the ability to monitor and restrict where people travel. What could go wrong?

With digital ID and digital central bank currency coming to EU it will be implemented in the near future. What fun it’ll be when you run out of your social credit/carbon points and the doors won’t open to anywhere and your central bank debit card won’t work. Of course all these restrictions will only apply to the third estate of the realm and the billionaires (nobles) and politicians (clergy) don’t have to follow the rules of the peasants.

Good times are coming, I hear them everywhere I go.

The heavy hand of the federal government was your objection to EV’s.
I thought we were supposed to 'starve' the federal government in order to keep it lean and hungry?

The tumult of war and climate breakdown has proved lucrative for the world’s leading oil and gas companies, with financial records showing 28 of the largest producers made close to $100bn in combined profits in just the first three months of 2022.

Wait, I thought Biden was actively suffocating these companies into ruin?

I thought we were supposed to 'starve' the federal government in order to keep it lean and hungry?
no, starve government to keep it small and out of our personal lives.
Wait, I thought Biden was actively suffocating these companies into ruin?
The oil companies will be OK, its the public that is getting hosed with high gas prices.

This screed about how much money XYZ oil company makes is truly a golden oldie. Guess what? Push the price of oil up above $90 barrel and prices (and profit) scales up to. That is just math. I recall not that long ago when oil was trading up around $150 barrel. There is an old saying in energy markets the cure for high oil prices is high oil prices (because it stimulates more drilling). At the moment oil futures prices are falling because of the economic recession, that the administration is trying to define away.

JR

Of having the heavy hand of the federal government in transportation. The heavy hand of the federal government was your objection to EV’s. There would be no place to go without the federal highway system. No need for the government to be promoting EV’s.
No, my criticism of EVs is that they do not make much sense without government subsidies. (My brother is working on his 3rd Tesla, that his wife uses to commute in the HOV lanes. That benefit expires so he had to flip for a new tesla). He charges his EV with his roof top solar panels, that make economic sense for him due to CA incentives. My brother is the original hot rod (fossil fuel) motor head, and still is, but he is even older than me. :cool: He will be escaping CA soon when his wife retires.

Maybe they will make more sense in some distant future when the NIMBY crowd extract their heads from up their butts and we build out modern generation nuclear reactors, so electricity becomes cheap enough to displace fossil fuel. Modern reactors in densely populated areas can export their excess heat to warm local buildings. In my judgement nuclear should be our bridge energy technology for the next several decades.

Keep working on higher efficiency solar technology. I could imagine a future with solar shingles on every house roof, but not for maybe another decade.

If we had an effective way to extract and bank summer thermal energy for use in the winter, I would never have to pay for heat again. :cool:

There is no real urgency to stop using fossil fuels, the existential climate "emergency" messaging is used to suspend rational analysis by low information voters.

JR

PS; Contrary to good judgement some western states are removing hydro-energy producing dams. Energy does not get much cleaner than that.

No, my criticism of EVs is that they do not make much sense without government subsidies. (My brother is working on his 3rd Tesla, that his wife uses to commute in the HOV lanes. That benefit expires so he had to flip for a new tesla). He charges his EV with his roof top solar panels, that make economic sense for him due to CA incentives. My brother is the original hot rod (fossil fuel) motor head, and still is, but he is even older than me. :cool: He will be escaping CA soon when his wife retires.

Maybe they will make more sense in some distant future when the NIMBY crowd extract their heads from up their butts and we build out modern generation nuclear reactors, so electricity becomes cheap enough to displace fossil fuel. Modern reactors in densely populated areas can export their excess heat to warm local buildings. In my judgement nuclear should be our bridge energy technology for the next several decades.

Keep working on higher efficiency solar technology. I could imagine a future with solar shingles on every house roof, but not for maybe another decade.

If we had an effective way to extract and bank summer thermal energy for use in the winter, I would never have to pay for heat again. :cool:

There is no real urgency to stop using fossil fuels, the existential climate "emergency" messaging is used to suspend rational analysis by low information voters.

JR

PS; Contrary to good judgement some western states are removing hydro-energy producing dams. Energy does not get much cleaner than that.
By that logic gas cars don’t make sense because gas is subsidized. EV’s don’t make sense but your brother is on his third Tesla. Okay.

It is really scary that this seems to be common sentiment among people. They want to give the government the ability to monitor and restrict where people travel. What could go wrong?

With digital ID and digital central bank currency coming to EU it will be implemented in the near future. What fun it’ll be when you run out of your social credit/carbon points and the doors won’t open to anywhere and your central bank debit card won’t work. Of course all these restrictions will only apply to the third estate of the realm and the billionaires (nobles) and politicians (clergy) don’t have to follow the rules of the peasants.

Good times are coming, I hear them everywhere I go.

I never said anything of the sort.

quote:
What we need to control is the artificial need to travel and transport without any valid reason.

As much as I'd like to use this sometimes.....
Guessing you're single? lol

The family is on holiday in France. By train. Dad's home alone... ;-)

A start would be tax on travel publicity. No need to create a need that isn't there.

By that logic gas cars don’t make sense because gas is subsidized.
old meme
FORBES said:
  1. The top six “subsidies” included in the $10-$18.5 billion estimates are as follows:
Master Limited Partnerships ($3.9 billion “subsidy”) – Ending the MLP “subsidy” would result in MLP’s being considered corporations that must be taxed before their distributions are passed along to shareholders. Therefore, any MLP income would be taxed at the corporate level and then again at the dividend level. Distributions to shareholders would be impacted substantially. Preventing double taxation is not a subsidy. MLPs also exist for Real Estate and other industries. Furthermore, the “subsidy” affects people across the spectrum from Pensioners, 401ks holders, to widows and orphans - hardly a “subsidy” for the oil and gas industry.

Intangible Drilling Costs ($3.5 billion “subsidy” – low estimate is $780 million) - Intangible Drilling Costs are essentially the cost of drilling a new well that have no salvageable value. Currently, most exploration companies are allowed to deduct 100% of the costs in the year they are incurred with the majors able to deduct 70% of the costs immediately with the remaining 30% amortized over 5 years. In what world would money spent that may or may not be recovered be capitalized as an asset?

Royalty Payment Reductions on Federal Lands ($2.2 billion “subsidy”) While paying no royalties on some offshore plots and reduced royalties in some regions might be considered a break by many. The incomes derived from operations are taxed at the same levels as any other income - hardly a “subsidy”.
Depletion Allowance ($1 billion subsidy – low estimate is $900 million) The depletion allowance allows companies to treat reserves in the ground as a capitalized asset that may be written down by 15% per year. The government only allows the “subsidy” for independent producers. Integrated oil companies such as Exxon, BP etc. are not allowed the exemption. Companies across the US are allowed a depreciation deduction for taxation purposes. The oil & gas industry should not be an exception.

Domestic Manufacturing Deduction ($1.7 billion per year – low estimate is $574 million) – Congress passed the tax break in 2004 to encourage manufacturing companies to maintain their operations in the US. The tax break has been extended to oil & gas companies and allows them to deduct 9% of their income from operations. Critics charge that companies would not leave for a lower tax rate. Ever looked at how much cheaper it would be to operate a refinery in another country? Furthermore, the tax break extends to companies across multiple business segments – not just the oil & gas sector.
Foreign Tax Credit ($900 million) The tax break allows US companies to deduct taxes paid in foreign countries from profits when the money is returned to the US. Of all the tax breaks, calling the Foreign Tax Credit a subsidy for the oil & gas industry has to be the most egregious. The US Federal Government allows any corporation doing business outside of the US the same exception.
Several “subsidies” totaling an additional $3 billion combine to complete the $18.5 billion estimate.

In addition to the $18.5 billion in “subsidies” states also grant an additional $3 billion in tax breaks to the oil & gas sector that can be considered subsides. Politicians and political pundits tend to lump state and federal subsidies together. Shockingly, nobody holds them accountable for their misstatements. In addition to the “subsidies” given to oil & gas company operations, politicians attempt to lump in an additional $16 billion in consumption incentives to the oil & gas industry. Consumption incentives range from direct subsidies to low income households for heating oil to tax breaks for farmers, and the US military. It seems that these should be classified as breaks for farmers and the military rather than to oil & gas industry. To somehow get to the $52 billion total, activists then lump in the military costs to defend shipping lanes and pipelines in the Middle East.
Now let’s analyze what the oil & gas sector pays in taxes. In 2012 the top two corporations paying federal taxes in the US were ExxonMobil and Chevron paying a combined total of $45.2 billion. On average, the industry pays a 45% tax rate when all state, federal, and foreign taxes are totaled up. By comparison the Healthcare Industry pays a total rate of 35% and the Pharmaceuticals pay an estimated rate of 21%. Based upon these numbers it’s hard to believe which business sector is criticized the most for “subsidies”.
EV’s don’t make sense but your brother is on his third Tesla. Okay.
My brother charges his wife's EV with his solar panels (also subsidized in CA).

He is clearly acting in his personal self interest... "Happy wife, happy life". :cool:

JR

My 44" zero turn has 25HP and uses them. Battery is not ready to replace gas for that.
My neighbor has a good sized landscape company and some reps brought out some electric zero turns last week for him to try out. Would be pretty neat if they were useful. I think after doing a pretty large commercial type property they had only used 5% charge iirc...I'll talk to him more about it...

The smaller equipment would be nice to be quieter for sure since they seem to linger around properties
the longest. Although the tone of some of the electric blowers I've heard is a bit unnerving too...

The four biggest problems for garden machines in a communal setting: short lifetime (2 years), high maintenance, noise & exhaust pollution, theft of fuel.

All solved by going electrical, except maybe the maintenance. We'll have to wait and see.

those 2 together don't jive....

I would agree, but that's what I'm seeing in the numbers. The reason probably is that the people who use them don't get any training and I've seen several cases where they had no clue that oil needed to be changed or added to the fuel in the case of a two-stroke engine. There's also a lot of difference between different brands. Some vendors even claim that you don't need to change the oil. Yeah, right!

The electric ones in use today also have a lot more safety circuitry. They're simply harder to kill...

The reason probably is that the people who use them don't get any training and I've seen several cases where they had no clue that oil needed to be changed or added to the fuel in the case of a two-stroke engine.
Maybe you're mixing up consumer/homeowner stats.
Commercial companies don't have this issue (professional) and many have their own dedicated shops and mechanics who's sole responsibility is maintenance and repair.

sorry...just saw you said communal...lol
With homeowners vs professionals, where there's a will there's a way they will break stuff. Don't care if it's water powered....
that's where the money is anyway....

Yes, communal workers have a funny reputation. Sometimes there's some truth in there...

It's hard to do any job when there's always someone complaining. If they go slow, the population will see them as lazy. And if they go fast, they're just not thorough enough.

In the garden maintenance department, they're usually not the brightest. But most of them do their job like anyone else.

One of our team leaders is in his forties. He came over from the private sector cause he can no longer work at the pace wanted there. His back and shoulders show significant wear. That's something the private sector doesn't care too much about. Use and replace when worn out is usually the motto, I'm afraid. I'm glad we have him, cause he can train the younger workers, including the "temps" we get. Those are people who have been convicted to social work in stead of a fine or jail-time.

Maybe you're mixing up consumer/homeowner stats.
Commercial companies don't have this issue (professional) and many have their own dedicated shops and mechanics who's sole responsibility is maintenance and repair.

sorry...just saw you said communal...lol
With homeowners vs professionals, where there's a will there's a way they will break stuff. Don't care if it's water powered....
that's where the money is anyway....
I'll be curious to hear your neighbor's assessment.

Farm machinery has long been a target for electrification.

JR

I'll be curious to hear your neighbor's assessment.
Never really heard anything about them. I know they've bought a couple gas trucks since...lol
I think the big equipment was crazy expensive but keep forgetting to talk about it...

Just heard on the news they're starting construction on a piece of highway that will charge electric vehicles. I remember you had mentioned that before....
https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-toll-road-charging-electric-cars/46132167

Just when I thought we were on the right track from the recent wapo? hit piece about people leaving this hell hole, they come out with this news...Jeez...and Disney is planning some major projects with the park...

Interesting The example I recall about charging coils under a roadway was done somewhere in Europe and only for charging buses while parked.

Miles and miles of charging coils under a highway could involve a lot of copper.

JR

Latest posts

Back