Ed Anderson vs Carnhill?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franz_lennart

Hi there!

Figured I´d check in if anybody has had some experience with Ed Andersons take on the original Marinair input/output transformers for the early Neve preamps (L10468 and LO1166) in comparison to other go-to clone manufacturers, like Carnhill, Sowter, etc...

So, specifically the EA-10468 and the EA-1166 by Ed Anderson compared to Carnhill´s VTB9046 and VTB1148.

Would really like to know what you guys have to say about Andersons work, otherwise I'd probably go down the safe route and go with the Carnhills
Anybody have some thoughts on Sowter as well?

Cheers! :))

I have 2 identical 1290's, other than the output transformers. One is Sowter, the other Carnhill. Sowter, does to my ears seem to have more air. Both are great for just about anything though. Which is more correct? I don't know.
I have 2 EA1166's as well. Something is wrong with their headroom. Compared to the others, they clip very nasty and early. Can't explain it. They're obviously not supposed to sound like that (+2dB program material). Something happened in manufacturing? I don't know. I can't recommend them, but I can't not either as I don't think I have a working pair.

I'd love to hear some opinions as well, with the release of the 1073 build guide, I feel more confident taking on the project and I'm contemplating between Carnhill or Ed Anderson...Though I've only seen that he makes a 500 series sized output (EA-1166)

Back